Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 AM

8 posts, read 9,182 times

Advertisements

My husband is joining the Navy as a lawyer and we justreceived orders to report to San Diego in April! We visited once and loved it but still havelots of questions. A bit of background onus… we are young 30’s without kids so school districts aren’t important. We currently live in the Fairmount/Art Museumsection of Philly and what we love about where we live is the older homes, treelined streets and being within walking distance or a short bus/subway ride to aTON of excellent restaurants, bars, museums, etc. We currently only have 1 car and I would loveto keep it that way if we can.

In San Diego we are looking for a 2-3 bedroom apt or house,probably for around $2000 a month (this is being conservative). We would like to be in a safe area that iswithin walking distance (or public trans) of bars, restaurants and fun SanDiego things. I do want to add that even though we like to go out, we don’twant to be surrounded with college kids or people much younger and more rowdythan us. I’d love to be closer to the beach and my husband would probably liketo be closer to the park. I will workremotely in San Diego so I want to make sure that my husband’s commute is shortand we believe he will be at the 32nd St Naval base. Is it possible to live with only one car inSan Diego? If so which neighborhoodswork for that?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Your post has Bankers Hill (or surrounding neighborhoods) written all over it.
  • Commute to 32nd Naval Station Would Be under 10 Mins
  • Next to tree lined 6th Street and Balboa Park
  • Balboa Park is the Cultural epicenter of San Diego with plenty of museums
  • The bay would be a quick bike ride down down Grape Street, not the beach but its near the water.
  • Bus transit is easy, from what I hear, in these neighborhoods.
  • Quick drive, bus ride, or bike ride into Downtown.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,369 times
I'd say you should take a look at the East Village. Banker's Hill is a longer walk than you might like to get into the heart of the nightlife. In my condo complex, there are a number of people who work for the Navy and they chose the place due to its location.

Old 11-08-2013, 01:59 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Consider South Park which is another neighborhood near the park, but on the east side.

Small restaurants, cafes, ice cream parlors, and shops line 30th street and the area is filled with small older homes. The #2 bus would take you to downtown and the Gaslamp area when you wanted more activity than South Park has. Or you could take the #2 or bicycle up to 30th & University in North Park for other options.

The commute to 32nd Street couldn't take too long. Either surface streets or get on the 94 east to the 15 south.

On the days you needed the car at home, your husband could take the #2 bus downtown and then transfer to the Blue Trolley line. Unfortunately, the only direct transit to 32nd Street is the Blue Trolley line. However, if the lack of a car at your disposable might make you feel "trapped" South Park is part of the area covered by the Zipcar car sharing program. You could sign up for that, but only pay for when you use it. There is an initial processing charge but no minimum usage required.

South Park is more neighborhoody than Park West/Bankers Hill or the East Village. So, that could be a plus or minus depending on your preference.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:58 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
I lived in East Village as well on 12th and Market. It is definitely the most walk-able area of the three mentioned. You can walk to anywhere downtown, the waterfront, and even Balboa Park up 12th Street. I used to like to ride my bike to Balboa Park up 12th. It is also the better for public transportation compared to Bankers Hill and South Park.

OP, it is however, downtown so finding a house would be more difficulty unless you find one on 17th but that is where all the homeless wander around. Condo's/Apartments are much more common in East Village

Old 11-08-2013, 06:04 PM

136 posts, read 161,604 times
Good suggestions so far. I would also look at Mission Hills/Hillcrest. On the coast I would look at La Jolla Village, Bird Rock and Del Mar Village.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCounselor View Post
Good suggestions so far. I would also look at Mission Hills/Hillcrest. On the coast I would look at La Jolla Village, Bird Rock and Del Mar Village.
Mission Hills/Hillcrest would be good, but La Jolla Village, Bird Rock and Del Mar Village aren't exactly a short commute from 32nd Street. I think the OP wants to be closer than these three.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 PM

8 posts, read 9,182 times
Thanks so much for everyone's suggestions! I have Bankers Hill, East Village, South Park and Misson Hills/Hillcrest on the list so far. I wouldn't mind moving back into a high rise building but I'm thinking that my husband may want something "neighborhoody".

In the areas you all suggested, would $2000 be sufficient for a nice 2/3 bed apt? How are utilities in SD? Someone did warm me that they could get expensive but I wasn't sure how much I should estimate for utilities.

Also from looking on the map, none of those options are very close to the beach. Are there any neighborhoods by the beach that may work for our situation?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:43 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Regarding utilities, (Gas/Electric), the rates are higher, but your usage should be low. Given the climate of the areas you are looking, you won't need to use very much heat in the winter or run the A/C very much in the summer. Your gas and electric should run under $100 per month, perhaps substantially under $100. However, if you end up renting a place that is all electric, meaning electric hot water, electric stove, electric clothes dryer, or worst of all, electric heat, your expenses will be more. Key point, look for places where as many of the appliances as possible are run by natural gas.

Water is expensive. It is best that you brush up on standard water conservation practices. If you have a yard, learn how to water it just enough, without being indulgent. Same with showers and excessive clothes washing.

Regarding telecommunications, cell phone/landline, cable, internet, it's your choice whether or not you want to pay for all the bells and whistles. I have a landline, slow internet, and minimal cable, the cost for all of them together is under $100/month.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 PM

7 posts, read 11,202 times
I'm from Philly, been here for about a year and half now, live in Hillcrest/Banker's hill. Used to live around broad/locust and then grad hospital.
Here's some thoughts on location - anywhere around the balboa park is relatively walkable. The park itself is very nice (including walking, running, museums, zoo, etc). Going counter-clockwise:

Hillcrest is the north-west side of the park. It's very walkable, but a predominantly gay neighborhood (nothing like Philly's hood). It is very convenient for getting on a highway (5,163,8 are all right there). Has lots of bars and restaurants.

Banker's Hill is just south of hillcrest. has a lot of beautiful homes, but a lot of it is in the flight path for the airport, and some homes are also close to a highway, depending on where. There isn't much in banker's hill itself, but it's close to little Italy, gaslamp, and hillcrest.

Little Italy (South West) is a cute condo-y neighborhood, probably the closest to what you're used to. Restaurants, bars, etc but all mainly along one or two streets.

Gaslamp is south/east of Little Italy, and it's pretty much like Old City in Philadelphia. Lots of bars, clubs tourists, and also high rises.
Moving along east from gaslamp (still south of the park) is East Village. It's a recently built up neighborhood, Petco Park is right there, it's akin to Northern
Liberties, with lofty-type condos, and crappy (very relatively speaking) areas to the south and farther east.

Farther east gets split up into 2 parts. South of Hwy 94 is Sherman Heights, Grant Hill, etc. Those are kinda like fishtown and port Richmond. Old ethnic communities (predominantly hispanic). some areas better then others, but not particularly gentrified.
North of Hwy 94 is Golden Hills, an older community, lots of craftsman homes (think tiny ranch) somewhat hipster. somewhat in the flight path of the airport.
North of golden hills (east of the park) is South Park. It's a more upscale golden hills, pretty streets, some commercial locations with bars, restaurants, etc. Expensive but nice.

North of Southpark is... North Park, a recently gentrified neighborhood. Lots of bars/restaurants along University and 30th street, but overall, personally I'm not a fan. While the bars and restaurants are nice, it's a mish mash of hipster and wannabe, while overpriced and dirty (because it's both hipster, and wannabe).

That covers all areas around the park. I'd look at South Park (particularly around Juniper/Ivy & 30th). Little Italy for most "close to home", if you can afford it, or Banker's Hill as long as you're good with location (and noise).

Also, little farther away from the park are Normal Heights (north of north park, particularly north of Adams Ave), and University Heights (west of Normal Heights).
Normal Heights actually reminds me somewhat of graduate hospital. Still somewhat gritty, but with interesting culture, and good affordability (mostly). University Heights is a more developed, older, cleaner version of Normal Heights.

Also, my recommendation would be to get something with a yard or a large balcony. The weather is so nice here, you can be outside 95% of the year.

If you want to have 1 car, make sure you get a place that's close to a supermarket, and maybe a bus or trolley stop. Cabs are relatively easy, but also expensive ($10-15 from Hillcrest to Gaslamp)

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Last edited by Speeder2000; 11-13-2013 at 05:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego