Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 12:37 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
malcorub16, we just established that NetFlix does not have the best amount of new releases.
I like the Hangover franchise, but to use the just this week released third part as a bell weather for library waiting in not representative. Typically, the library orders multiple copies proportional to immediate and sustained popularity/demand. So for example, can be 100 people on queue for say 10 copies. I usually have a dozen titles on hold at one time and watch say every 3 weeks or so without any issues. What is the hurry to watch something immediately, as we are all apparently on the beach sands in SD daily so who has time.
Bloom,

Out of curiosity, which specific library do you typically go to? Or pick up at? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 12:45 PM

6,882 posts, read 8,860,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Bloom,

Out of curiosity, which specific library do you typically go to? Or pick up at? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance.
SD City. (small) Mission Hills branch. Why curious?

Old 11-10-2013, 12:48 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,886 times
Quote:
SD City. (small) Mission Hills branch. Why curious?
Cool. Ok..thanks. Ah no specific reason. I was just curious where you are picking up all your copies of the Hangover DVD's... LOL.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:06 PM

The wolf pack (with apologies to NC State and Jimmy Valvano) have a great chemistry.
Btw as you know, MH is great part of SD - old feel SoCal charm incl. housing architecture, suburban feel near 'downtown', sweet spot microclimate, proximity, walkability, parks and green-ness. SD is great to have so many different neighborhood options - something for everyone...

Old 11-11-2013, 02:58 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
Quote:
malcorub16, we just established that NetFlix does not have the best amount of new releases.
I like the Hangover franchise, but to use the just this week released third part as a bell weather for library waiting in not representative. Typically, the library orders multiple copies proportional to immediate and sustained popularity/demand. So for example, can be 100 people on queue for say 10 copies. I usually have a dozen titles on hold at one time and watch say every 3 weeks or so without any issues. What is the hurry to watch something immediately, as we are all apparently on the beach sands in SD daily so who has time.
Bloom, are you one of the 91 in queue ahead of me? If so, don't let the DVD sit on the coffee table for a week gathering dust.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:38 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,352,599 times
Quote:
I found both Netflix and Amazon' streaming service terrible in the selection of recent good movies.
"Recent good movies"… there's an oxymoron.

Amazon has two different levels of service: Prime service which offers 'free' movies to prime members with a selection very similar to netflix steaming-only offering. And then they have all of the regular recent releases which you pay for (anywhere from $5-20 on HD) to rent for a set period of time or purchase in streaming format. So you can watch just about an movie through amazon that you would find in the main-strew set ion of any video store. You just have to pay for it.

You can rent free movies at most libraries, but my experience is that there are enough techno cheapskates out there making a hobby of getting the 'best' movies 'first' that it's easier to just pay to stream in whatever you want when it comes out. Disks are going away entirely within the next few years anyways.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:55 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,237,335 times
Quote:
public library dvd's - up-to-date, free, no problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
The SD Public Library has a great selection of movies that you can have sent to your local public library from anywhere in the County, but there is currently only one copy of The Hangover III and it has over 91 holds on it ER, I know how much you've been wanting to watch that new release . I love the public library but Netflix still has the best amount of new releases around.
The library is a great choice and just about the only choice if you don't want netflix. If you don't want to wait for the new releases, then use Redbox. Between the library and Redbox, you have everything covered. The only issue is TV series. Redbox doesn't usually carry them, so you have to either buy them, join netflix or put a copy on hold at the library. It may take a while, but the library is free.

The one complaint I have about the library is that people don't seem to care about taking good care of the discs. I've had many scratched so bad that they wouldn't play. The library was great about ordering another copy, but you would think people would be more careful.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:36 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,311,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I don't think Netflix or Amazon has any great selection, with the exception if you have young kids. The selection is really HUGE on Netflix if you have young kids. Not that the kids are watching lots of TV but we originally started it many years ago as we were traveling so much and it was convenient to have on their iPads while we traveled.

We still keep it as it's only like $8 a month. Realistically that is less than the cost of 2 cups of Starbucks coffee twice a month. I don't use Amazon Prime much as it seems like mostly the same stuff as Netflix but it was free with the Amazon Prime membership.

Redbox just started a streaming service. - Redbox

Really that is the way things are headed. I imagine in the future DVD's will be like 8 track tapes. I disagree with the "things will swing back" comment if that meant that things will go back the other way. The technology will keep improving. Things will get much much quicker downloading to where it's lightning fast to watch movies streaming.

I can't see ANY scenario where old fashioned video stores will all of a sudden make some miraculous come back. Especially in San Diego where real estate is too darn expensive. And labor isn't exactly cheap here either compared to some cities and they are always talking about increasing the minimum wage here.

That's good to hear about the selection at the library bloom. I haven't been to the San Diego City library. I only have been to the San Diego County Libraries and to be honest I've never found the selection to be good. Maybe it's different at the City level.
I wasn't saying something like Blockbuster is coming back. I was saying that convienient technology does not always make things better and I used crappy photographs as an example. Many of us have stopped using cameras that use film that needs developing, and for awhile who really knew if cameras in phones would get better...but they have for the most part because convienience is nice but why would we just want crappy photos? don't we want better products not just convienience?

anyway with movies obviously (and its obvious in this thread) the new convienience of streaming and redbox isn't for everyone, and there is a market now for greater variety.

It doesn't make sense for things to evolve but not get better. So, I think things will swing back, yes we'll see the hipsters in the niche video stores, but I think libraries, redbox or netflix.....will either improve their service or something new will pop up that better servers the market in variety and perhaps those that are not into technology.

personally even though I'm young and work in technology I get annoyed by things changing so fast, I don't like streaming either and would prefer a disk or piece of media and like to have large selections including older movies and documentaries.

I like netflix though and don't have a real problem with it just don't see it as the end all be all.

Maybe the cable companies will step up, I don't know. I Could also see libraries taking the opportunity to redefine themselves even further in this area.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Bloom, are you one of the 91 in queue ahead of me? If so, don't let the DVD sit on the coffee table for a week gathering dust.
You can renew them up to 2-3 times for a week at a time, but if there is another hold on it, you have to return that week. Nope, not one of the 91, but I will definitely but The H. III on list - gotta love Zach G.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
"Recent good movies"… there's an oxymoron.

Amazon has two different levels of service: Prime service which offers 'free' movies to prime members with a selection very similar to netflix steaming-only offering. And then they have all of the regular recent releases which you pay for (anywhere from $5-20 on HD) to rent for a set period of time or purchase in streaming format. So you can watch just about an movie through amazon that you would find in the main-strew set ion of any video store. You just have to pay for it.

You can rent free movies at most libraries, but my experience is that there are enough techno cheapskates out there making a hobby of getting the 'best' movies 'first' that it's easier to just pay to stream in whatever you want when it comes out. Disks are going away entirely within the next few years anyways.
Huh. Maybe I"m an oxymoron.
Why pay if just as convenient to go to library if in proximity to one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego