Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times

Advertisements

I've been checking out old threads for favorite Chinese restaurants in San Diego, and I've found lots of Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese and other Asian suggestions, but only one thread that mentioned Kearny Mesa and Imperial Mandarin, and a few other places on Convoy.

We've been in the greater SD area for decades, and we really like Chinese food, as it was served in the old famous Limehouse Restaurant in PB. Those of you who have been here in SD a while, you know what I'm talking about. The Limehouse was so popular that it was even featured in Gregory Benford's classic science-fiction time travel novel Timescape Timescape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Wish we could travel back in time for a Limehouse dinner just one more time...

Anyway, every time we found a good replacement restaurant, within 6 months it had closed, or was converted to a Thai restaurant. (So was that our fault? ) Times and tastes change, and Chinese food just doesn't seem to be "in" anymore, but we still like it. Kearny Mesa is a little inconvenient for us, since we're in East County. We have no interest in Panda Express , Pick-Up Stix, or P.F. Chang's. We've tried a little place in Santee that is actually quite good, Panda Country, but we'd like some more options. From Poway to El Cajon, La Mesa, Spring Valley and Lemon Grove, and even Ramona and Lakeside, does anyone know of some little hidden gem of a traditional Chinese Restaurant that you want to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Hey CFF! Yes definitely.This place is a gem. Very fresh Chinese food and a local favorite.I have bumped into everyone from the East County Chamber CEO to neighbors. Its nothing fancy but some of the best we have had without having to go to Convoy.I get the wonton soup and pork foo yong almost religiously. My in laws from NJ love it also and they can be quite picky with their food.http://m.yelp.com/biz/chopsticks-inn-restaurant-la-mesa

Old 11-11-2013, 11:20 PM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Hey CFF! Yes definitely.This place is a gem. Very fresh Chinese food and a local favorite.I have bumped into everyone from the East County Chamber CEO to neighbors. Its nothing fancy but some of the best we have had without having to go to Convoy.I get the wonton soup and pork foo yong almost religiously. My in laws from NJ love it also and they can be quite picky with their food.http://m.yelp.com/biz/chopsticks-inn-restaurant-la-mesa
The question is, do they have Sriracha suace at the table? If they do, then its the real deal IMHO.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
The question is, do they have Sriracha suace at the table? If they do, then its the real deal IMHO.
No. Just no. My parents immigrated here and I think they rolled their eyes far back enough to simulate a heart attack when they saw it at an "authentic" Chinese restaurant.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 AM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
No. Just no. My parents immigrated here and I think they rolled their eyes far back enough to simulate a heart attack when they saw it at an "authentic" Chinese restaurant.
You are right my friend. Huy Fong Sriracha is as American as apple pie and baseball. It sure is good though, I love that stuff.

Sriracha Anthem - YouTube

Old 11-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Definitely no Sriracha at this place, but I do love me some

This little hole in the wall is Taiwanese owned. So if you have ever had Taiwanese influenced 'Chinese' it tends to lean more towards fresh vegetables and clearer sauces, dare I even say a tad healthier in cooking practice.
As opposed to Szechuan which may be darker or sweet in their sauces with more fried varieties.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Definitely. Although there are some fried dishes in Taiwanese cooking.

Quote:
Definitely no Sriracha at this place, but I do love me some

This little hole in the wall is Taiwanese owned. So if you have ever had Taiwanese influenced 'Chinese' it tends to lean more towards fresh vegetables and clearer sauces, dare I even say a tad healthier in cooking practice.
As opposed to Szechuan which may be darker or sweet in their sauces with more fried varieties.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Definitely. Although there are some fried dishes in Taiwanese cooking.
Yup. My favorite dish there, the pork foo yong is fried delisciousness.

On a side note, I think they may use rice bran oil rather than vegetable oil. The result (like in Japanese dishes) is a lighter fry and less oily

Old 11-12-2013, 02:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Not east County, but Royal Mandarin in National City is my favorite, been going there 15 years Their beef broccoli, orange chicken, egg drop soup, beef schezwan, etc, YUMMY!

Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Not east County, but Royal Mandarin in National City is my favorite, been going there 15 years Their beef broccoli, orange chicken, egg drop soup, beef schezwan, etc, YUMMY!
Thanks so much, guys! Those suggestions are highly appreciated. And if the Copsticks place is Taiwanese, with clear sauces, it actually sounds a lot like what the Limehouse used to serve. So one of these days we'll try it out, and if we're in National City I'll remember the Royal Mandarin, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego