Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,560 times

Advertisements

Lots of mobbing and gangstalking in San Diego and that type of organized bullying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 AM

231 posts, read 640,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel632 View Post
Lots of mobbing and gangstalking in San Diego and that type of organized bullying.
???

Old 07-30-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
Reasons not to:

Expensive housing for what you get (cracker boxes that need serious updating)
Lack of jobs (not a place to grow ones career)
"Border" town and it shows
Lack of culture. Sorry.. this is flatly true.
Food... land of the chain restaurants!!! If you don't like mexican food you are out of luck!
No sense of community.. maybe in North park or Hillcrest?
Fake boobs and pumped up lips.. too much focus on looks/handbags/cars and not on intellectualness.
Vacuous downtown with frat boy Gaslamp district and the rest of it is seedy.

Reasons to move here:
Weather!!! If you don't mind the same thing day in and day out every day!
This sounds like someone who hasn't been here in 15+ years...or never really explored the county.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 PM

299 posts, read 1,132,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
This sounds like someone who hasn't been here in 15+ years...or never really explored the county.
This sounds like someone who gets easily offended when their precious "Americas finest city" get some negative feedback.

I grew up in So Cal. So you are dead wrong.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
This sounds like someone who gets easily offended when their precious "Americas finest city" get some negative feedback.

I grew up in So Cal. So you are dead wrong.
As someone who grew up here also...

Expensive housing for what you get (cracker boxes that need serious updating)
In comparison to middle America?
Lack of jobs (not a place to grow ones career)
"Border" town and it shows
How so? The influx of 300,000+ people from TJ everyday is not a negative aspect.
Lack of culture. Sorry.. this is flatly true.
Cliche as it comes.
Food... land of the chain restaurants!!! If you don't like mexican food you are out of luck!
Chain restaurants...in east county and other suburban areas but anywhere DT/uptown/coastal areas that is far from it.
No sense of community.. maybe in North park or Hillcrest.
Relative to a small town? Every weekend throughout the county there are festivities for a given community.
Fake boobs and pumped up lips.. too much focus on looks/handbags/cars and not on intellectualness.
While that is there, I wouldn't say it's a dominant force especially compared to our neighbors to the North.
Vacuous downtown with frat boy Gaslamp district and the rest of it is seedy.
Seedy? Yea, before Petco Park but it's super clean from the bay well into East Village, heck I can't think of many cleaner downtown areas in the US.

I don't believe San Diego is perfect but a lot of views shown sound outdated and inaccurate.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:51 AM

404 posts, read 712,227 times
I lived in San Diego for a year and moved to Austin. Now I'm thinking about a move again, but not back to SD.

1) YES It's too expensive. Rent, food, gas, entertainment. Premium Prices.
2) for a musician, there's no real community or 'scene' and the venues are spread out with high cover charges
3) It's not really all that unless you live by the beach, and then you're paying primo bucks for an area that is usually gridlocked (PB, LJ, OB). The 5fwy is a real pain in the butt to get to, and then you're stuck in awful traffic. (but i'm a socal native and its the norm)
4)Northpark is WAY overrated. it has a lot of not much. Hillcrest parking/driving is utterly insane
5)Downtown driving and parking is a nightmare too, but that aside.. it doesn't really have a center on anything. Like.. no-go to street for good art stores/venues/clothes/boutiques. Its just a monster really. Especially compared to a place like Austin, where the downtown is tangent and everyone comes to 6th street.

YET... I FREAKIN LOVE SAN DIEGO. Having grown up in OC and lived in LA, La Jolla Shores is IMO the best beach in all of southern california. you can walk forever on that beach. I <3 PB and Windansea too

**Also, Being single can be tough, but it was br00tal in San Diego. It wasn't long before I heard the term "Man Diego".

Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 AM

31 posts, read 66,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I agree with some of this stuff, disagree with other opinions. People have addressed some serious issues...but what about:
1) the inability of people to use a turn signal here. I think it is disconnected at the DMV when you transfer tags, or when you buy a new vehicle here.
2) Grown men riding skate boards-biologically mature men (25-30), some even starting to bald, riding a board. I have never seen that anywhere. I think bikes and human powered scooters are just terrific for eco transport, but skateboards over 21 kind of cracks me up.
Grown men play baseball, ride bikes (for fun, not "eco transport"), go surfing, etc. and it's accepted...So what's wrong with skating ?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Interesting. I was born in San Diego 65 years ago and we left a year and a half later, compliments of Uncle Sam. Never returned. About 15 years ago I happened to be a speaker at a conference there. Looking out of my hotel window I realized that I was looking down on North Island Naval Hospital where I got my start. The thought was a bit nostalgic - both my parents had died several years before - and in looking throughout the city I realized that it was my birthplace and nothing more. Nothing for me there. Pity!

Sorry! Just a ramble!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-25-2011 at 11:22 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Any place that people surf you will see them riding skate boards. There is no age limit.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:50 AM

525 posts, read 899,743 times
too many illegals
too many illegals
too many illegals
too many illegals
too many illegals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego