Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,134,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Do most rental apartments have electric heaters installed ?
Most have gas wall heaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:46 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,729,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Stop debating temperatures. It's been a bone dry fall and California is heading towards its third year of serious drought. If it doesn't start raining soon (who cares if it rains at 50 degrees or 75 degrees?), there will be some serious water rationing.
A NASA report out today said that they have recorded unprecedented snow pack in Northern California. Maybe that will help our water situation down here.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:49 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,904,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Most have gas wall heaters.
depends where you live. A lot of places don't have gas, so they have those old crappy in the wall electric heaters in each room that run the bill up to $300 in a month.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,013,773 times
The wife and I just returned from a cruise to Mexico. It was beautiful in Cabo San Lucas and hot and muggy in Puerto Vallarta. As the ship started to head north past San Quentin on Friday it got cold really quick. I am ready to go back.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,338,387 times
I have no idea what temperature it was outside in Mid-City this morning, but the inside of my house was 56 degrees. Brrrr! I had to turn on the heat during the day.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:45 PM

434 posts, read 983,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
A NASA report out today said that they have recorded unprecedented snow pack in Northern California. Maybe that will help our water situation down here.
For snow season through this time? Would be quite the small sample size, if that were the case.

Edit: I was pretty curious, being a weather/snow sport geek. Referring to this?

http://climate.nasa.gov/news/1013

Not really unprecedented snow pack, but sounds like a new technique for capturing that snow melt, or making the most of it. (Haven't read it all yet.)

Quote:
Unprecedented snowpack maps from NASA's prototype Airborne Snow Observatory mission helped water managers for 2.6 million residents of the San Francisco Bay Area achieve near-perfect water operations this summer, despite the driest year in California's recorded history.

The high-resolution NASA snow maps of the Tuolumne River Basin in the Sierra Nevada helped optimize reservoir filling and hydroelectric generation at the Hetch Hetchy reservoir and its O'Shaughnessy Dam.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,729,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSDLifer View Post
For snow season through this time? Would be quite the small sample size, if that were the case.

Edit: I was pretty curious, being a weather/snow sport geek. Referring to this?

Climate Change: News - NASA snow mapper reaps big benefits for California

Not really unprecedented snow pack, but sounds like a new technique for capturing that snow melt, or making the most of it. (Haven't read it all yet.)
I follow NASA on G+ and this showed up on my stream today.

NASA Snow Mapper Reaps Big Benefits for California - NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory

Looks like I may have mis-read their announcement. Yes, it is an unprecedented way of measuring snow pack. Nothing in there implies that we have record snowfall. I must have been thrown off by the 'good news for California'.

edit: Yes, that's the same info.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 PM

6,330 posts, read 7,676,913 times
Lived my whole life in coastal CA and the last eleven years in the Antelope Valley. I used to think it got cold when the temps when I wake up in the winter are frequently in the high 20s or low 30s. Well . . . I'm learning this week that those aren't all that cold. This week, and next, I'm visiting Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho checking out some possible retirement places. I know that this area is pretty nice in the summer, but figured I'd better visit in the wintertime to see if I can take it. Today, when I woke up, the thermometer showed -5 F. Most of the day, the temps, as registered by the car, was in single digits. Right now, at 9:00 p.m., it shows 1 degree here in Thermopolis.

Didn't really feel that cold today, except when the wind was blowing.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,972,690 times
31 this morning.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:02 AM

7,341 posts, read 12,564,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Lived my whole life in coastal CA and the last eleven years in the Antelope Valley. I used to think it got cold when the temps when I wake up in the winter are frequently in the high 20s or low 30s. Well . . . I'm learning this week that those aren't all that cold. This week, and next, I'm visiting Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho checking out some possible retirement places. I know that this area is pretty nice in the summer, but figured I'd better visit in the wintertime to see if I can take it. Today, when I woke up, the thermometer showed -5 F. Most of the day, the temps, as registered by the car, was in single digits. Right now, at 9:00 p.m., it shows 1 degree here in Thermopolis.

Didn't really feel that cold today, except when the wind was blowing.
Hey Volo,
Have fun in Wyoming! Hopefully, by the time you get to Idaho the cold spell will be over. Those extreme temps right now are unusual, but it's not a bad thing to be exposed to them now so you can judge if you can handle it when the NW throws its worst temps at you!

It's cold when it hurts to breathe...when icicles form off your nose...when you can't feel your feet or hands when you finally get indoors...So no, SoCal is not cold! Except up in the mountains.

If, for some reason, you should become really chilled, remember not to put your feet or hands in hot water immediately, even if you want to. Room temperature water will help get the circulation going. And rub your feet with a towel, but gently, because you won't feel it if you're rubbing too hard! I grew up with chilly winters, and I still remember some of the old advice...Double layer socks! Thermal underwear! Woolen cap! Lined gloves! Wool, wool, wool! Blankets, water, flashlight, and nutrition bars in the car! Stay with the car if you get lost! Good advice for you by Stealthrabbit over on the WY forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego