Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
Is it possible that your perspective is shaped by the period you grew up in? The late 80s up through the 90s saw the worst crime rates in San Diego's history. Southeast has seen some significant improvements since then. Not just crime, but new affordable housing and community facilities.

The only super dangerous neighborhoods I can think of are Mountain View and Southcrest. The others have seen improvement, more or less.

Lastly, I would argue that San Diego is one of the least segregated large cities in America. Seriously, look how it compares to cities in the SW, NE, South, and Midwest. More blatant segregation and a lot more violence.

Asians integrate well with most demographic groups and so do latinos to an extent. Together, these groups are approaching minority majority status in SD.
Sorry rhanifin, I didnt see this until after I posted. I totally agree per my last post.

I dont think anyone would argue, its totally flipped into something its not, but at least as I understand, it is nothing like it was when crime of that nature was very high in those areas in the 80s and 90s.

If the cost of housing plays a pivotal part to living in these areas as it does with other communities in San Diego County, then I would say its pushing certain groups out and bringing in folks that can afford the prices of today. Maybe not on the whole, but I am sure a good percentage.

At least from our perspective, while we dont live on the fringes of LG (as mentioned), there is no way I would ever endanger my wife, myself or family and friends by buying a house here just for the sake of it being a little more affordable than other areas.

Some people even on this board of have been to our pad and while maybe not taking a spin around the whole hood, would agree that while it can by dumpy or hit and miss, may not necessarily be dangerous. We definitely would never host dinner parties like we have if we lived somewhere sketchy
It could certainly use a makeover though in some parts as its stuck in the 60s (and not in a cute kitschy way either) LOL

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 03-28-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 03:38 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne_Asada_Fries View Post
The people responding to your thread are either new to San Diego or they have never lived in a "bad neighborhood".

I have lived in San Diego for 30 years. When I was younger we lived in South East San Diego near a massive flea market called "Fam-Mart" where local rappers would record music video's in the parking lot and attract the occasional drive by. The intersection down the way was known as "four corners" because of the frequent murders that would occur on all four corners. The local high school, Lincoln was condemned and bulldozed (although I'm not sure if it ever reopened). It's the classic American ghetto, complete with old women stuffing razors in candy and handing it out to children and gunfire lighting up the air on holidays. We eventually moved because our neighbors were murdered during a home invasion.

These scenes are familiar to anyone living in South East San Diego (stay away from Imperial, Euclid, Skyline, Logan Heights, Paradise Hills and the neighboring ends of El Cajon Blvd, Spring Valley and Lemon Grove). I have lived in those neighborhoods, lived the life, dealt with the problems and eventually got myself out of there. These neighborhoods are primarily Black (including African immigrants), Latino and immigrants from Asia (Vietnamese, Chinese, Cambodian, Samoan). and they all have there own gangs and rivals. Not to say that there aren't amazing, warm, honest, humble, hard working families living there. The thing is they all have to deal with the above problems. I'd also avoid the older National City and Chula Vista neighborhoods. The Newer parts of Chula Vista however, are pretty nice.

Then you have the all the Asian neighborhoods which don't even compare to the ones I mentioned above however they are frequented by car thieves and burglars. Those would be the area's of Linda Vista, Clairemont, Serra Mesa and Mira Mesa. When I was younger these area's were still middle class however navy housing and what not has dragged them down a bit and you have pockets of crime, prostitution and the occasional drug raid. These are what I like to call "ghettos for wannabes".

In East County you'll want to stay away from the south east end of El Cajon, the area is a infested with drug addiction, prostitution and the brutal crimes that accompany both. It's a mix of White "trailer trash" and other minority groups. It was a major center for the Hells Angels and their meth labs in the 80's-90's. Lots of low income housing developments and the like. In recent years 60,000 Iraqi refugee families have been welcomed into the area which has actually helped quite a bit. However some of their children are just as bad as the rest, fighting, loitering and generally disturbing the peace. Only upside would be if you like kabobs, they are everywhere now. La Mesa has a good side and a bad side, divided by the 8 freeway. Everything North of the 8 is middle class America. South of it is just as bad as East El Cajon.

San Diego is pretty segregated. You'll start to notice how freeways act as moats, keeping the zombie invasions at bay. If you are looking for the middle class all American neighborhood you will find it in San Carlos, North La Mesa/Lake Murray, Allied Gardens, Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, 4S Ranch, Del Cerro, Santa Luz and more.

Hip neighborhood's like Golden Hills, Hillcrest and North Park are all renovated and worth living in. When I was younger they were terrible. Actually I had a gun pulled on me 15 years in the same location that hosts a little cute coffee shop today (North Park). Downtown is also fine, crime stats wont tell you much because of population density etc. I'm sure more crime occurs in the Gaslamp then anywhere else in the county because of the bars and nightclubs, drunks etc. but they are nowhere near "bad" by any standard. They were when I was younger, you wouldn't even think of traveling down Market 20 years ago at night. Things change though, this city is changing, the people are changing. Our police have cracked down on a lot of crime and gang life doesn't appeal to youth anymore.

I hope that helps.
This entire post is absolutely spot on......if it were 1985.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:43 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,530,019 times
Quote:
....and gang life doesn't appeal to youth anymore.
True, I remember how bad the late 80's and 90's were with gangs. Its seemed so many youth wanted to be associated with a gang and carry a wheapon. I am glad most kids wised up this and last decade and realized its just not worth it. There is not much money in it unless you dedicate yourself to dealing drugs or theft. But most kids wanted to be in a gang then for the sake of just representing a crew.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:18 PM

199 posts, read 336,594 times
Quote:
The people responding to your thread are either new to San Diego or they have never lived in a "bad neighborhood".

I have lived in San Diego for 30 years. When I was younger we lived in South East San Diego . . .
Despite your personal experiences, I can't say I've experienced the same when I grew up in Paradise Hills from '87 to '04. I've heard about the "four corners of death" though, but I usually stayed within Paradise Hills and National City for business/errands. I also never joined a gang (was in a skateboarding clique though in my teens) and never looked for trouble.

Then again, you lived in the southeast at an earlier period when the environment and social culture was different.

I hope people aren't using the "able to walk at night with a sense of security" as the prime measure to determine whether a neighborhood is "safe" or not. Come on now.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:39 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
I hope people aren't using the "able to walk at night with a sense of security" as the prime measure to determine whether a neighborhood is "safe" or not. Come on now.
That criterion is overly simplistic, I agree.

As a person who grew up in Chicago (which has some truly dangerous neighborhoods), my criteria for whether I feel safe walking around in a neighborhood is whether I see older people and/or children out and about. I don't base my evaluation of safety on "at night" because at night neither of those groups are likely to be about. But during the day, if they aren't around then I don't feel safe in that neighborhood. So I don't feel able to walk safely at night in that neighborhood.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:32 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,024 times
Quote:

In East County you'll want to stay away from the south east end of El Cajon, the area is a infested with drug addiction, prostitution and the brutal crimes that accompany both. It's a mix of White "trailer trash" and other minority groups. It was a major center for the Hells Angels and their meth labs in the 80's-90's. Lots of low income housing developments and the like. In recent years 60,000 Iraqi refugee families have been welcomed into the area which has actually helped quite a bit. However some of their children are just as bad as the rest, fighting, loitering and generally disturbing the peace. Only upside would be if you like kabobs, they are everywhere now. La Mesa has a good side and a bad side, divided by the 8 freeway. Everything North of the 8 is middle class America. South of it is just as bad as East El Cajon.
What is considered southeast El Cajon? The part that nestles up against Rancho San Diego? That area doesn't seem bad at all - - it's more Mall World than Meth World.

The Chaldeans have been a great addition to El Cajon.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 AM

720 posts, read 806,054 times
@ Carne_Asada_Fries, Thanks for the detailed descriptions and explanations. For those of us not so young and adventurous who can afford to live in neighborhoods that are not merely somewhat "improved," the issues you addressed and your descriptions matter. We prefer the most "livable" communities and neighborhoods, for a higher quality of life that is peaceful, convenient, and entertaining. So, thank you!

BTW, others comparing the segregation in San Diego to other cities is irrelevant really. One would be foolish to not admit there is class/income segregation in San Diego merely because it is worse in other places. That's just either disingenuous or naive. It's glaringly obvious just by going though the various neighborhoods and small towns sprinkled across San Diego County.

Thanks again.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:06 AM

Default Comparing the cities is pretty irrelevant

The fact that cities like Chicago have worse neighborhoods is irrelevant to those of us who prefer to live with the least amount of crime and grime possible and can afford to do so. Therefore, the information Carne_Asada_Fries provided is more valuable to us than chest thumping about having experienced tougher environments. Not impressed, nor interested. I am interested, however, in the descriptions of the changes the neighborhoods have undergone, and the details Carne_Asada_Fries provided.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
The only super dangerous neighborhoods I can think of are Mountain View and Southcrest.
Less than "super dangerous" is still not desirable to those of who do not have to live in the sort of dangerous, mildly dangerous, or merely annoyingly scummy neighborhoods. Nothing about Carne_Asada_Fries' post indicated he thought all of the neighborhoods he described evolving are all "super dangerous."

Quote:
The others have seen improvement, more or less.
No doubt, and Carne_Asada_Fries described quite a few improved neighborhoods. Additionally, improved doesn't equate with most desirable for many of us.

Quote:
Lastly, I would argue that San Diego is one of the least segregated large cities in America. Seriously, look how it compares to cities in the SW, NE, South, and Midwest. More blatant segregation and a lot more violence.
Surely you are not arguing San Diego County does not have plenty of economic/class segregation. All urban areas do, so why even go there. All one has to do is drive around the county and look at the neighborhoods of the various communities to see it, quite obviously. As for the a lot more violence elsewhere, I for one think that is irrelevant when I'm looking for a home. I care about the community I am going to live in and finding the nicest one I can afford that is where I need to be. What is happening in Chicago or East St. Louis is entirely irrelevant.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:25 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
The fact that cities like Chicago have worse neighborhoods is irrelevant to those of us who prefer to live with the least amount of crime and grime possible and can afford to do so. Therefore, the information Carne_Asada_Fries provided is more valuable to us than chest thumping about having experienced tougher environments. Not impressed, nor interested. I am interested, however, in the descriptions of the changes the neighborhoods have undergone, and the details Carne_Asada_Fries provided.
Welcome to the SD boards pgrdr.

I totally agree with you and yes the grimy parts are clear as day when driving through them. San Diego in general isn't for everyone regardless of financial status.

The reason at least IMHO to share the dynamics between city 'badness' is because 'bad' is totally subjective unless you are pulling hard data on crime stats and socio-economics.
Folks like yourself that are coming from other other places have some point of reference and in some cases the stereotypes are flat out innaccurate.

Many of us are from somewhere else in SD or have traveled to gain that level of perspective. There are other readers that have found value in those examples, clearly you didn't which is fine, they are merely anecdotal. Its more of a YMMV proposition and observation than some stated fact.

San Diego County is quite large, the areas that were listed are really a fraction of neighborhoods but its a good way to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego