Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:34 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times

Advertisements

They don't even have the abalone, lobster, and chorizo taco any more. They are dead to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
It can get crowded, yes, especially when the campground is full in the summer. In the winter, you find more locals eating there. The trick is parking ... if you can't find a spot on the 101 near the entrance, pull into the campground and tell the guard at the shack you're eating at Bull Taco. If there are spots available, they'll give you a guest pass to park right there near Bull Taco. If not, you have to fight for a spot on the highway and hoof it in. Or, park farther away and walk down the beach then come up the stairs to Bull Taco. Not a bad way to do it actually!
My friend and I were going to go eat there a few months ago (due to bloom's post raving about it) but we ran into the parking issue and finally gave up. But definitely want to try it. Been meaning to for a while now.

I agree no such thing as too many Taco places.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:41 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
My friend and I were going to go eat there a few months ago (due to bloom's post raving about it) but we ran into the parking issue and finally gave up. But definitely want to try it. Been meaning to for a while now.

I agree no such thing as too many Taco places.
Try the guest pass from the ranger booth. If that doesn't work, and there's no spots on the 101, park across the tracks in Cardiff (like off Chesterfield, etc). It's a nice way to walk off the tacos!

Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Try the guest pass from the ranger booth. If that doesn't work, and there's no spots on the 101, park across the tracks in Cardiff (like off Chesterfield, etc). It's a nice way to walk off the tacos!
Excellent advice! Thanks Encinitan. I didn't know about that. Yeah, we were going to walk but neither of us had too much time that day. But definitely I'll check it out soon.

Encinitan, what's your favorite Taco place in the area?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
I think if you stay more than 20 minutes, the Rangers charge you $. One thing you don't want is to be rushed there. Enjoy the tacos and view leisurely. Better yet, park down the road or so and walk, no big deal in this climate. To be fair, the food can be hit-n-miss, though usually a hit; the view and scene is always a hit.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I think if you stay more than 20 minutes, the Rangers charge you $. One thing you don't want is to be rushed there. Enjoy the tacos and view leisurely. Better yet, park down the road or so and walk, no big deal in this climate. To be fair, the food can be hit-n-miss, though usually a hit; the view and scene is always a hit.
That's never happened to me. I've even parked in an empty campsite (with their permission, of course) and stayed longer than 20 minutes. I guess the parking enforcement is like the food -- hit and miss.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
bloom,

What is your favorite tacos there? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Oddly, local chain MXN (formerly Santana's). Fresh MXN Food
I'm looking forward to Poppa opening up his brick-n-mortar store next month in the barrio as his farmer's market stand and catering biz is one of the best: Poppa's Fresh Fish | If it were any fresher, you'd be underwater!
I just tried another real deal taco place in the barrio this weekend which was good not great but appreciated the authenticity; I'll try to post name later.
Outside of SD:
Tioga Gas Mart and Whoa Nellie Deli
Outside of CA:
El Pelon - Fresh, Authentic Mexican.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Oddly, local chain MXN (formerly Santana's). Fresh MXN Food
I'm looking forward to Poppa opening up his brick-n-mortar store next month in the barrio as his farmer's market stand and catering biz is one of the best: Poppa's Fresh Fish | If it were any fresher, you'd be underwater!
I just tried another real deal taco place in the barrio this weekend which was good not great but appreciated the authenticity; I'll try to post name later.
Outside of SD:
Tioga Gas Mart and Whoa Nellie Deli
Outside of CA:
El Pelon - Fresh, Authentic Mexican.

Yeah, I still have to try that MXN chain. I remember you talking about it in other posts and DM's. That's the great thing about San Diego. Man, there are a lot of great taco/burrito places around.

Not tacos but I finally tried San Diego Latin Restaurants, San Diego Colombian Food, San Diego Antojitos Colombianos - Home in Barrio Logan this past weekend and pretty good. Place is a small hole in the wall type place but full of Colombians and Mexicans which is typically a good sign. Some good eats.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:19 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Oddly, local chain MXN (formerly Santana's). Fresh MXN Food...
And that, right there, makes me question your taste.

(BTW, I did try their fish and shrimp tacos on your recommendation. Meh. I've had better. They're OK. If someone bought me one, I'd eat it. I wouldn't spend my own money on it again. Anything other than those two ... I still wouldn't eat MXN even if someone else was paying.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego