Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 PM

823 posts, read 1,118,413 times

Advertisements

I've done that drive in both directions a couple of times in the past few years. The roads are generally in good shape and there's plenty of gas stations, but be sure to plan well in advance for gas stops on the stretch between San Antonio and El Paso. You can go miles between exits through there.
If you leave early enough, you should be able to make it to New Orleans on the first day. It's worth it to spend some time there if you've never been. Second day will put you in the no mans land between San Antonio and El Paso. Hotels are few and far between and they fill up fast, especially on weekends. I've slept in rest areas in west Texas a number times, they're filled with truckers, so it's safe to sleep there if you have to. The 3rd day should get you into SD. This is driving 12 hours a day on average, only stopping for gas and food. Might be tough to do, but it's easy for me, I've been doing long distance trips for most of my driving years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 01:02 AM

6,478 posts, read 7,433,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
but be sure to plan well in advance for gas stops on the stretch between San Antonio and El Paso. You can go miles between exits through there.
This is true, the same thing between Tucson AZ and Las Cruses NM. I've had a few nervous moments on this stretch as well. Never run less than a QTR of a tank in these areas.

Also, try to avoid Houston during rush hours as it can sometimes be as bad as Los Angeles.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,393,659 times
I drove it straight before only to stop and eat, though, stop for coffee, and one quick hour or so nap b/c of a storm outside San Antonio, took 33 hours. I was a zombie and felt like the ground was floating when I got to San Diego. On the way back I drove all the way from LA to New Orleans non stop, then went out drinking, then drove and finally stopped in Pensacola b/c there weren't any hotels as it was around St Patricks Day... ahh youth. Bring cds or mp3s, there are no radio stations for stretches of the drive in Texas. Your mind starts getting kind of loopy after awhile, but interesting experience.

I think 12 hours is about the sweet spot though and can be done quite easily with a little patience.

by miles between gas stops in Texas, i think there is a stretch or two that is about 100 miles between gas... just FYI.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:04 AM

125 posts, read 196,350 times
Thanks everyone for great advice I will let him know about the gas situation but he's very sensible....if it was me I'd be walking through the desert with a gas can (if I remembered to bring a gas can)

Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,404,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabella View Post
Has anyone done it? Will aim for 8-10 hours per day so hoping to arrive on 4th day....anyone have tips/advice?
Just wondering are you heading from Sarasota to San Diego for vacation or a move? Perhaps this is in another thread and I have not yet seen it. Sarasota is my favorite FL city and San Diego is my favorite CA city.

Also, are you and hubby travelling with children? That makes a huge difference as to the number of stops needed and will decide a reasonable number of hours to travel in a day! My kids (5 and under) can do 12 hours in one day no problem, but I'm not so sure about three days in a row!

Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,051,791 times
Quote:
Yes, I imagine there are some interesting radio stations between here and there. I'm assuming XMSatellite will find me wherever.
Well it sounds like 3 days is possible so thanks for replies
No fireworks in Ca?
fireworks are illegal to purchase in CA.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
fireworks are illegal to purchase in CA.
And also illegal to bring into California, I think. Certainly illegal to set them off in California, unless you're licensed and have the proper permits.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 PM

125 posts, read 196,350 times
My husband is going to SD for 4 months for new job. We're hoping it will become permanent then kids and I will follow
Will probably fly with the kids if/when we move out....didn't get that far yet.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 4,993 times
I drove with a friend just months ago. We went from West Palm Beach to San Diego. Took us 3 nights, and arrived on the 4th day. Its really not that bad honestly, but we took turns driving.

We took the I-10 all the way to Arizona where we switched to the 8. Easy. We stopped in Baton Rouge, San Antonio, and then Tuscon. We made it a point to get up as early a possible in order to get to our next destination before it was too late, check into a hotel, then go out and get a good dinner and a beer or 2. We had a dog with us so we stayed at La Quinta Inns. Honestly, there are tons of them on the way, they are in great locations and were perfect for a one night in a random city and affordable.

If you have any other questions let me know, but its really not that bad of a drive.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:46 PM

8 posts, read 7,899 times
Quote:
Has anyone done it? Will aim for 8-10 hours per day so hoping to arrive on 4th day....anyone have tips/advice?
I did it a couple of times. From Clearwater to San Diego. Drove about 12 hours a day. Not sure what questions you have…Stayed at Motel 6 all along there way. Watch your speed, Louisiana has lots of speed traps. Take your time and drive safe and stay fresh. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego