Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times

Advertisements

San Diego is a homeless magnet. Just imagine if all these "new Californians", homeless persons, were provided free or "affordable housing". If so, San Diego had better get ready for an influx...of 90 million persons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
"we have to leave our current city asap due to family related issues nothing illegal or terrible ..."

CarawayDJ it is fortunate that you may have never been in such a situation. Thousands are. Teenagers leave home at 5 in the morning catch a greyhound bus "for anywhere" as the song goes. Thousands of women pack, leave the kids after he goes to work...shuttle to a neighbor and off to another city or country without a word. Still more walk out one morning without a word and never come back. This is daily life for millions of people...so I guess we just have to believe him.

There are situations which happen to people none of which are their own doing. Dangerous, alarming and sad. Leaving to become homeless seems odd but the OP may be asking can he survive here until he finds work/training. His post is consistent with a desperate situation and his options (at least the ones that he sees) reflect that.

Don't worry about leaving a mark on him. He/they just need good advice.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
This is what I understand:

1. None of us have a clue what his real life is. For all you know he's a hormonal teen having a fit over a simple family argument and thinking about doing something dumb. You are accepting the question at face value, I am not.

2. There are times when one does indeed need to just get away. There are no times when one needs to do that and go homeless. If such a time does exist, we sure weren't given enough info to conclude that.

3. People get ethically loose on the Internet. I live by a personal code that goes like this, never leave a lasting mark on anyone unless it's a positive one. Assisting anyone with running away to go homeless is just bad. IMHO it's unethical. I can't imagine doing that without personally knowing a person and knowing that we are talking about a major crisis that could make such a move the lesser evil amongst any alternatives. At a minimum I would have to "know" the person is really an adult. This is analogous to someone depressed creating a story about being terminally ill and in pain and asking the Internet for the best way to commit suicide. I wouldn't do it. When in doubt err on the side of doing no harm, right? My perspective is probably shaped by knowing parents who woke up to find their kids gone. The OP sounds more like an irrational hormonal teenager than he does a responsible adult. I'll have no part in leaving a lasting negative mark on his life. I doubt you or any of us would give that advice to anyone we met in real life without digging into things a lot further.
I agree with you for the most part, but there are definitely times when one needs to leave, flee immediately, and therefore will end up homeless. [ie, abusive situation, domestic violence, war, natural disaster]. Perhaps I am splitting hairs...But 'never say never' and 'there's always an exception to the rule' are common sayings for a reason...

Definitely, abused women , often with children do this all the time [and probably not often enough, in some cases]: Flee in the dark of night, nowhere to go, little money and no plans other than to stay alive through immediate departure from their current environment. Yes, there are shelters, agencies, options-for SOME people. Situations and circumstances absolutely vary. And there are no absolutes.

That said, I already repped one of your other comments on this thread, and I agree with you re: this particular OP's situation. A lot has not been revealed, for any of us to know for sure what's going on. And planning to be homeless, yet having the wherewithal to ask about it on an internet moving forum, does not imply a need to make rash decisions overnight.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
"we have to leave our current city asap due to family related issues nothing illegal or terrible ..."

CarawayDJ it is fortunate that you may have never been in such a situation. Thousands are. Teenagers leave home at 5 in the morning catch a greyhound bus "for anywhere" as the song goes. Thousands of women pack, leave the kids after he goes to work...shuttle to a neighbor and off to another city or country without a word. Still more walk out one morning without a word and never come back. This is daily life for millions of people...so I guess we just have to believe him.

There are situations which happen to people none of which are their own doing. Dangerous, alarming and sad. Leaving to become homeless seems odd but the OP may be asking can he survive here until he finds work/training. His post is consistent with a desperate situation and his options (at least the ones that he sees) reflect that.

Don't worry about leaving a mark on him. He/they just need good advice.
True. Anyone who's grown up in an effed up environment can attest to the need to leave for sanity's sake-even if it's not 'effed up to the point that you can call someone, legal help, etc', it's enough that you don't feel safe to function and cannot rely on your current situation enough to even try to make plans to get out [ie, it's that unstable/chaotic, etc]. So yea, that could be the case here. And you make a good point: Giving good advice is the best strategy. And CarawayDJ is giving the best advice he/she knows of, based on his experiences and worldview. Both sides of this advice spectrum could potentially be considered 'good advice'. Who's to say? We don't know the OP.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
This is what I understand:

1. None of us have a clue what his real life is. For all you know he's a hormonal teen having a fit over a simple family argument and thinking about doing something dumb. You are accepting the question at face value, I am not.

2. There are times when one does indeed need to just get away. There are no times when one needs to do that and go homeless. If such a time does exist, we sure weren't given enough info to conclude that.

3. People get ethically loose on the Internet. I live by a personal code that goes like this, never leave a lasting mark on anyone unless it's a positive one. Assisting anyone with running away to go homeless is just bad. IMHO it's unethical. I can't imagine doing that without personally knowing a person and knowing that we are talking about a major crisis that could make such a move the lesser evil amongst any alternatives. At a minimum I would have to "know" the person is really an adult. This is analogous to someone depressed creating a story about being terminally ill and in pain and asking the Internet for the best way to commit suicide. I wouldn't do it. When in doubt err on the side of doing no harm, right? My perspective is probably shaped by knowing parents who woke up to find their kids gone. The OP sounds more like an irrational hormonal teenager than he does a responsible adult. I'll have no part in leaving a lasting negative mark on his life. I doubt you or any of us would give that advice to anyone we met in real life without digging into things a lot further.
Well stated.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
They should head for Texas where there are lots of low skilled jobs for uneducated people and where the land is next to worthless so it's cheap to rent a place. In California you pretty much need a four year degree just to survive and a master's degree to live comfortably. You won't be able to survive on a $10 per hour job here.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM

332 posts, read 632,478 times
I'd save up my street corner quarters until I had enough to fly to Hawaii. SD can still get chilly!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Come on down, you will fit into Downtown very well...........unpack your stuff right onto the sidewalk and "live" with all the other bums!

Old 01-25-2014, 09:48 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Whether this is a troll post or not (who really cares), the way I see it, homeless and being financially destitute is a temporary position to be in. If you are young, healthy & have DREAMS that you believe in and are willing to work for, then you can make it anywhere that your heart desires. Who wants to live in Podunk, USA with crappy weather, dull terrain, and nothing to do? People who live in nice weather complain and tell others to stay out or ask them how much they earn, as if they have to "qualify" or meet some sort of standard. Forget that. Last time I checked CA is part of the 50 states and any person has the right to live anywhere he/she wants without the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval or the Pope's blessing. Better to move to where you think you might want to live in your early 20's when you are still young & strong & hopefully unfettered, then waiting to move 20 years down the road when you are entrenched in a myriad of responsibility, B.S. and spinning on a hamster's wheel. You can make it ANYWHERE you want. Wishing you the best, sincerely.

P.S. - we lived in OC in the 80's when we were VERY YOUNG. I worked at a place with a friend who was in her 30's at the time. She fled her home in one of the Northeastern states and ran to CA with her very young daughters, wanting to get away from her abusive husband. She fled with nothing but her daughters and the clothes on their back. This is after he held her at knifepoint for hours and got tired. She took the opportunity to run. She ran as fast and as far as she could. She found a job quickly (not a glamorous job), and started to re-build her life. She was HAPPY. No one knows what life holds for them. CA is just as good a place to start over than anywhere else.

Last edited by Donna7; 01-25-2014 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-26-2014, 01:22 PM

87 posts, read 115,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Whether this is a troll post or not (who really cares), the way I see it, homeless and being financially destitute is a temporary position to be in. If you are young, healthy & have DREAMS that you believe in and are willing to work for, then you can make it anywhere that your heart desires. Who wants to live in Podunk, USA with crappy weather, dull terrain, and nothing to do? People who live in nice weather complain and tell others to stay out or ask them how much they earn, as if they have to "qualify" or meet some sort of standard. Forget that. Last time I checked CA is part of the 50 states and any person has the right to live anywhere he/she wants without the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval or the Pope's blessing. Better to move to where you think you might want to live in your early 20's when you are still young & strong & hopefully unfettered, then waiting to move 20 years down the road when you are entrenched in a myriad of responsibility, B.S. and spinning on a hamster's wheel. You can make it ANYWHERE you want. Wishing you the best, sincerely.

P.S. - we lived in OC in the 80's when we were VERY YOUNG. I worked at a place with a friend who was in her 30's at the time. She fled her home in one of the Northeastern states and ran to CA with her very young daughters, wanting to get away from her abusive husband. She fled with nothing but her daughters and the clothes on their back. This is after he held her at knifepoint for hours and got tired. She took the opportunity to run. She ran as fast and as far as she could. She found a job quickly (not a glamorous job), and started to re-build her life. She was HAPPY. No one knows what life holds for them. CA is just as good a place to start over than anywhere else.

Amen, try to stay out of trouble and with a little luck things will start to look better for you. Keep a smile on your face-it really does make a difference. Wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: