Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,336 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the san diego area next month. I have been researching different neighborhoods to live and do not seem satisfied with the type of information i've gathered; hence, i would like to tell you what i am looking for and hope that someone can lead me in the right direction!

I am a single female, I love to surf, and will be working nonprofit in the city. I would like to move to a safe neighborhood near the water. I am hoping for this neighborhood to be funky, organic, gay friendly, diverse, and pedestrian friendly. I guess you could say that I am looking for a 'laid back san francisco' in san diego...does this make sense? or do I just need to high tail it to norcal?

any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 03:26 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizalaze View Post
I am planning to move to the san diego area next month. I have been researching different neighborhoods to live and do not seem satisfied with the type of information i've gathered; hence, i would like to tell you what i am looking for and hope that someone can lead me in the right direction!

I am a single female, I love to surf, and will be working nonprofit in the city. I would like to move to a safe neighborhood near the water. I am hoping for this neighborhood to be funky, organic, gay friendly, diverse, and pedestrian friendly. I guess you could say that I am looking for a 'laid back san francisco' in san diego...does this make sense? or do I just need to high tail it to norcal?

Ocean Beach (Funky), Encinitas (slightly funky), Leucadia (somewhat funky)

Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizalaze View Post

There is lots of places you can live that is near the beach that maybe affordable, but it does depend on what you can afford. I live in Rancho Penasquitos, 10 min. from the beach and the community is quiet and laid back. PB is cool, Some parts of Clairemont, Oceanside and others.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:54 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmm View Post
There is lots of places you can live that is near the beach that maybe affordable, but it does depend on what you can afford. I live in Rancho Penasquitos, 10 min. from the beach and the community is quiet and laid back. PB is cool, Some parts of Clairemont, Oceanside and others.

Rancho Penasquitos is fine if you have the money. I've heard it referred to as the Beverly Hills of San Diego.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Rancho Penasquitos is fine if you have the money. I've heard it referred to as the Beverly Hills of San Diego.
You're thinking of Rancho Santa Fe. RP is a mix of older tract homes ranging from well-kept to slightly decayed, and some small 1-2 acre ranchos in varying degrees of disrepair.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:24 PM

35 posts, read 125,937 times
Ocean Beach.
Rancho Penasquitos??? That is very inland and suburban. Definately not the vibe elizalaze described wanting. Also who calls RP the BV of San Diego???? LOL. Listen to Sassberto, his advice is right on.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,336 times
ok...i am liking the way ocean beach sounds. I wonder if OB is filled with locals or if it has been infiltrated by tourists, hotels, etc.?

I have heard that San Diego is slowing becoming more progressive and a bit more liberal than it has been in the past...would you agree? I have a two job opportunities - one in San Fran and one in San Diego...I want to be sure that I am relocating to a place that makes me happy! I really want to be inspired by the people I meet!

Old 12-15-2007, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,144 times
Rp is considered Coastal even though it is 10 miles inland (it's in zone 7). RP is not in disrepair you are thinking of Mira Mesa. Ocean beach is cool, however watch the crime rate there it is high, as well as, Imperial beach. I think Mission bay is more your speed. It's cool and there are a lot of college hangouts. Good luck with you job situation and your move. Roger

Old 12-24-2007, 02:14 AM

35 posts, read 160,795 times
Ocean Beach is cool, I don't know how many tourists are there, you're a tourist also, right? I've spent quite a bit of time in San Francisco and I would say San Diego isn't anywhere close in the perspective of liberalism. I think San Diegans are way more laid back than the folks from the bay. I love the city, I find those norcal folks to be a bit more pretentious. Just an opinion, let the crucifixion begin.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 PM

7 posts, read 29,421 times
Hillcrest is pedestrian and gay friendly. It is lso in clse proximity to downtown and the beaches but it can be pricey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego