Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
To Many immigrants and poor people in City Heights for this to ever happen. For Geneification to occur, you need a place to put your lower middle class, immigrants and poor.
San Diego county is only so Big
Isn't Echo Park in LA full of immigrants, too? Didn't stop it from becoming hip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Isn't Echo Park in LA full of immigrants, too? Didn't stop it from becoming hip.
Echo park didn't have:
Koreans,Vietnamese,Cambodians,East Africans, Hispanics,blacks (did I miss a group)
All living within a 3 mile square radius.
Echo park also at one time was home to some of Hollywoods elite actors/producers.
The most famous person from City Heights is RuPaul
White Flight in the late 70's, mixed With the crack era has permanently ruined certain parts of
City Heights imo.
I just found out Albertsons, the only and longest chain supermarket in the area is closing this month.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 AM

169 posts, read 859,342 times
Quote:
I just found out Albertsons, the only and longest chain supermarket in the area is closing this month.
Wow, what's the reason? That's really unfortunate if nothing replaces it.

Anyway, my two cents...

I think as far being the new north park, the area west of the 15, has potential, I can see it. But east of the 15? I dooooon't know lol, it would take ALOT of change.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsandiegobornandraised View Post

Anyway, my two cents...

I think as far being the new north park, the area west of the 15, has potential, I can see it. But east of the 15? I dooooon't know lol, it would take ALOT of change.
Love the name
Spot on what you said. I think the 15 freeway going though City Heights is another big problem.
It's kinda of reminded me of what the Bronx expressway did to the Bronx's in New York city.
Quote:
Albertsons will close two of its San Diego County locations in February. One of the stores that will be shuttered is the largest grocery store in City Heights.
A company spokesperson confirmed the Proctor Valley Road location in Chula Vista and the City Heights location will close February 20.
Lilia Rodriguez said it was a difficult decision for the company but pointed to the stores’ performance as the main factor in the decision.
Councilmember Marti Emerald said she considers the closure a serious blow to her constituents living in the community.
Our media partners at VoiceofSanDiego reported on the closure adding that a recently survey suggests the ability for City Heights residents to buy fresh groceries falls below the industry standard.
There is a plan in place to help pharmacy customers at those locations transfer their prescriptions before the closing, Rodriguez said.
Source: Albertsons to Close 2 Locations: Chula Vista and City Heights | NBC 7 San Diego

My wife grew up in City Heights,and was part of the flight out city Heights in the
early 80's.They ended up in La Mesa instead of Santee/north county, were other families were moving.
Sorry to bring the thread back down

Old 02-05-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Echo park didn't have:
Koreans,Vietnamese,Cambodians,East Africans, Hispanics,blacks (did I miss a group)
All living within a 3 mile square radius.
Echo park also at one time was home to some of Hollywoods elite actors/producers.
The most famous person from City Heights is RuPaul
White Flight in the late 70's, mixed With the crack era has permanently ruined certain parts of
City Heights imo.
If you look at the demographics of both areas, they are a pretty even match. There are likely more Southeast Asians (No Koreans) and East Africans in City Heights, while Echo Park has a larger percentage of Central Americans from Guatemala and El Salvador.

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ngeles-CA.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Diego-CA.html

It's not like all of Echo Park has been gentrified, and City Heights will be no different. Cherokee Point is just across the Landis St. Bridge and could see some overflow from North Park. Baby steps.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsandiegobornandraised View Post

Anyway, my two cents...

How about a 99 Ranch Market or Northgate Gonzalez to takes it's place? Would love either.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
It's closing because apparently it's a underperforming store. Northgate Gonzalez already has a store at 54th & University, so I doubt if that would happen, and I can't see a 99 Ranch Market in that neighborhood.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
If you look at the demographics of both areas, they are a pretty even match. There are likely more Southeast Asians (No Koreans) and East Africans in City Heights, while Echo Park has a larger percentage of Central Americans from Guatemala and El Salvador.

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ngeles-CA.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Diego-CA.html

It's not like all of Echo Park has been gentrified, and City Heights will be no different. Cherokee Point is just across the Landis St. Bridge and could see some overflow from North Park. Baby steps.
Quote:
How about a 99 Ranch Market or Northgate Gonzalez to takes it's place? Would love either.
Yea I got a little carried with Koreans.
Although there was a small Korean community near the police sub station back in the day.They all eventually flighted to kearny Mesa/ Mira Mesa.
But yea anything is possible, I've been rooting for this area a very long time. City Heights have some very nice pockets of homes, neighborhoods. Drive to the end of marbrough St.
99 ranch market would never make it see below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It's closing because apparently it's a underperforming store. Northgate Gonzalez already has a store at 54th & University, so I doubt if that would happen, and I can't see a 99 Ranch Market in that neighborhood.
I never thought I say this, but maybe a walmart supermarket???
On another message board a former Asst manager is blaming, rising security costs and the city taxing the crap out of them over the year's, as the real reason.
Where are the people going to get their bus passes and medicine?

Last edited by hitman619; 02-05-2014 at 06:13 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
For groceries people can take the bus to the small Albertsons on University Avenue, or to the Northgate Gonzalez Market, and for medication, there are numerous small pharmacies all over City Heights.

But it'll be interesting to see what goes in there, and how long it takes to get the space rented.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:34 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
City heights lacks the housing stock to be worth gentrifying. The key is cheap, nice homes, not just cheap. The reason echo park or Atwater village or any of those closer-in LA areas gentrified is because people young affluent people bought homes there, the hipster renters then followed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego