U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 12:05 AM

374 posts, read 655,583 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving down to SD... somewhere.

We = my wife and I. We are mid 20's moving from Hollywood Hills in LA. We are used to that type of architecture and really enjoy the modern or mid century modern homes with huge windows and nice views. Not really into the cookie cutter neighborhoods.

We would be looking in the 3 BR, 2.5-3BA 1500-2000 sq ft homes in the 600-900k price range.

I will be working in Carlsbad and the ball and chain will be working somewhere in San Diego.

Which community should we look for this type of home and a reasonable commute? Encinatas looked pretty nice, and honestly Carlsbad looked pretty solid. We are open to condos also if need be. Del Mar?

our number 1 priority is having a view. If we cannot afford an ocean view, then maybe a canyon/hills view from a more inland location.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,255 times
Mission Bay or Mission valley (for views), but those are going to be a whopping 30-35 min drive to Carlsbad. You can also explore Oceanside which would be relatively closer to Carlsbad. And yes, Carlsbad is good too.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:32 AM

963 posts, read 1,252,458 times
Del Mar and Carlsbad are nice. Also, overpriced in my opinion. Was looking at a somewhat older home in Del Mar a few weeks ago, around the size you mention, it was a couple blocks from the water, mediocre view. Not too far from the farmer's market. Asking was a whopping $2.4 million -- totally not worth it and this property has been sitting for many months. One block over and on the water, price jumped orders of magnitude to $5 million and above. You will see the same all over Del Mar, it is stacked with unrealistic sellers. Not in ten thousand years would I stroke a seven-figure check for these overpriced properties.

That was just an anecdotal example. My general view is this: for an ocean view, it is not going to happen at $600k, there are absolute dumps in San Diego selling for that price -- and people are buying them. I imagine the Hills are even more competitive, so you know the drill.

$900k and a condo, you may be able to snag something with a decent water view, but even with a condo, anything oceanfront is going to be a million and up, even older properties needing work.

Encinitas sounds like your best bet.

For a canyon view, your budget is doable, but I never understood people who pay close to seven figures for a home overlooking chaparral, when just about anywhere else in the country, you can purchase an oceanfront property.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:52 AM

6,015 posts, read 7,264,460 times
Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla
Mission Hills
not Carmel Valley

Old 02-02-2014, 04:48 PM

374 posts, read 655,583 times
Thanks for the info.

Based on a few zillow searches, we are leaning towards condo. Doesn't need to be on the beach, but close.

any type of commute of around 30-40 minutes is fine.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,604,534 times
SD doesn't have a whole lot of 'modern' homes that are not cookie cutter...just a few scattered in mainly coastal communities, but not promineint. Mid century modern, there aren't many either...though there are some straight up
'mid century'...lol

If you already like encinitas and carlsbad, then go for it b/c those are nice cities...And, really, these are your best bet for coastal SD living within your parameters. [The other options either go up in price and ambiance [del mar/la jolla] or down [oceanside]. If going the condo route, be sure to check neighboring Solana Beach, too. Nice community with some character.

[However, if your wife ends up working elsewhere, the commute might be kind of rough for her....]

Within this same general region, you might be interested in south del mar/torrey hills/carmel valley-There also are some nice condo units with a view to torrey pines state beach, for example, in an eccentric neighborhood with some architectural diversity of residences, condos and businesses. Carmel Valley Rd. 92104 area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego