Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,000 times

Advertisements

Hello all- New poster on here, but Ive spent the better part of a week reading everything as it related to my question..so please forgive it this comes off as oft asked.

I will be relocating to SD from Virginia next month, and would really appreciate some advice on areas to look to live in based on some of my desires Ill list below. First, Ill tell you about me. Im 38 M single, no kids and will be commuting to Coronado. I lead a fiarly active lifestyle but Im not much of a bar hopper/clubber type.

Heres what Im looking for:
- budget $1700 isn
- Looking forma 1br , doesnt have to be huge but it needs to be decent condition
- Looking for a walkable, active area with coffee shops, mom and pop places, live music etc but not touristy
- Somewhere that has a decent fitness center closeish
- Parking would be great
- A place thats safe to run the neighborhood
- Social, friendly and a good place to meet people. Ie, lots going on. Im single, but I dont wanna be somewhere I have to always drive to meet people/dates...

Would love your thoughts..again, I apologize for the repeated post. Ive just not quite read enough to get a solid feel..

Thanks!

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Look at Morley Field area of North Park
Also:
South Park
Mission Hills

I think google images will give you a feel for those areas, and craigs list an idea of the rental rates.
Your rental budget is really good. South Park and Mission Hills are older parts of SD and are two of the few areas of the city where you find architecture with character-spanish influence, built ins, and many 1950's era buildings. So if you want modern, you might have a hard time finding it there-but it doesn't sound like you want sterile suburbia or big apartment complexes, anyway. You should be able to find a fantastic cottage or small house with your budget, or even a 2/1 nice apt. or duplex.

Others will make different suggestions and you can narrow it down from there.
I don't think beach communities would quite fit-but you can look into Pacific Beach or Ocean Beach just to see....

For what it's worth, South Park is the first neighborhood that popped into my head when I read your post. Balboa Park-the huge city park with museums, etc-will be at your doorstep there, for a place to run. SP has all of the other amenities you mentioned, as well. And it's 6 miles to downtown Coronado.
SOUTH PARK San Diego

Also, SD has some great running meetups, including some hosted by running stores...Great people, free and a good way to meet folks or see different parts of the city/county, too. So check out meet up dot come when you're in town. Lots of great canyons/trails to run in SD, too. There are a couple of options in mission hills/balboa park area for that, and many others, if you decide you want to get out of the hood you live in. Mission Bay is also a popular running spot-it's a paved trail that goes around the bay. Probably a 20 minute drive from south park.

I think you might also like Encinitas and Solana Beach-really great coastal communities-but they are north county and you may not want to do the commute. But if you happen to have a non rush commute schedule, check them out for sure!

Also, good luck and welcome to SD!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:45 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Since you're working on Coronado, why not try living on Coronado? It has most of the things you're looking for... and the daily commute would be EZ. You can always move later if you find a better place on the mainland.

Here's a sample place: CORONADO....1 BLOCK from BEACH and BAY!

Old 02-13-2014, 12:25 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Since you're working on Coronado, why not try living on Coronado? It has most of the things you're looking for... and the daily commute would be EZ. You can always move later if you find a better place on the mainland.

Here's a sample place: CORONADO....1 BLOCK from BEACH and BAY!
Good suggestion. I had thought of that, as well, though not sure if the atmosphere suits the OP as much as other areas, based on the list of desires. Definitely worth looking, though....
http://www.stylemg.com/Style/May-2011/Coronado/

Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
South Park was the first neighborhood which crossed my mind as well.

I would also recommend University Heights. It has a small commercial area along Park Boulevard. Apartments, then houses west of Park Boulevard.

Parts of North Park may also work. The most likely section would be the part of North Park directly north of South Park, right around Switzer Canyon.

I almost want to recommend Bankers Hill, but you may find that the business district of Hillcrest is too far away. There are businesses scattered along 4th/5th/6th Avenues, but they haven't gelled into a real district.

You may like Normal Heights. It is better north of Adams Avenue. However, the commute will start to become more difficult.

Kensington would be nice but probably too expensive, and again the commute might just be too difficult.

Kensington & Normal Heights would be close to YMCA that is now under construction at the junction of El Cajon Boulevard and Fairmount Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego