Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:34 AM

192 posts, read 250,109 times

Advertisements

By the way, if you move for relocation, your husband will be eligible for unemployment. My company relocated several people here and their spouses all received unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,979,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive.green View Post
I am wanting to move because I have very bad seasonal depression and summer lasts about 2.5 months here. The rest of the time it is rainy and grey. I also enjoy the ocean.
Coming from Alaska I see the effects of low light conditions on people. So far your thread has asked some very practical questions. If you find the unemployment question is resolved to your goals then I would suggest taking the plunge. Rent 1st in a lower scale apt without sacrificing safety naturally. Look around and get settled in your new position. There are so many things have to line up in that 1st six months right?

Hubby can look around and get the lay of the land so to speak. He should already be getting a stellar resume and I do mean stellar and working interview clothes together if not already done. You will have enough on your plate starting a new position at your level...trust me. People are friendly here but they are competitive and accomplished. They want to know that you can stay on your game. I think that the environment for work here is very good but it takes time to get on board. My family has positions in nursing hospital admin real estate and engineering. They all have very good degrees and great references. More than just knowing someone the atmosphere is upwardly mobile. Not to my liking but the atmosphere is challenging (which I do like) and the weather is the best anywhere. Almost boring in its great ness.

SAD affects people in harsh ways. I would not necessarily disclose this if you get my meaning. Competitive is competitive.

IF the stars line up have you given any thought to where to unpack down here?

Old 02-18-2014, 10:15 AM

462 posts, read 738,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive.green View Post
I am wanting to move because I have very bad seasonal depression and summer lasts about 2.5 months here. The rest of the time it is rainy and grey. I also enjoy the ocean.
Have you tried supplementing Vitamin D & using sun lamps?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,904,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post
There are a lot of ad firms and companies with in house marketing depts so I'm sure he could get a job as a traffic coord somewhere eventually. It may not be trafficking media ads, but print. I'm not sure what his education and job history is, but I was doing traffic coord in Sacramento 10 years ago...I now manage an entire marketing communications department....traffic coord did not pay well but I got my foot in the door, went back and got my MBA in marketing, and worked my way up. I started at Tower Records coordinating all their ad spots. I think I made $11 an hour! Anyway, Petco is always hiring in their marketing dept it seems! Have him look at indeed.com.
Didn't Petco move many of it's jobs to Texas?

Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,904,882 times
As far as the the reason for moving, many times the Seasonal depression isn't just about cold weather, but about it gets dark at 5pm or earlier in the winter. And in a place like Seattle, it gets dark at like 430pm. But in the summer the Sun doesn't really set till like 930-10pm up there, whereas in San Diego, you'd get an hour less of sunlight.

The Pacific NW is notorious for depression though. It's a different kind of place. I loved it up there (Washington & Oregon and even Vancouver, BC, Canada), but the overcast and grey skies pretty much most of the year gets old. But you also have to realize that while San Diego is far warmer and sunshine year round, winters aren't Miami kind of weather. There are exceptions, but there are many times where it's 55 in Seattle and 60 in San Diego in Feb.

And honestly if you lived near the coast last summer it felt like living in Seattle. It was June Gloom turned into most of the summer gloom. It wasn't exactly a great summer on the coast. There were moments and days, but I most days I woke up and hoped the grey skies would turn to sunshine by the afternoon. ANd many times it never did. That grey just stuck around. Is that the norm? No, But neither is 80 degrees in Feb.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:40 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,623,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
Didn't Petco move many of it's jobs to Texas?

They opened a satellite support center in San Antonio a few years ago. Some employees moved there from San Diego, but it still very much has a presence in the San Diego job market. According to this article, about 650 people are employed at the San Diego headquarters.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 02-18-2014 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 03:27 PM

6,882 posts, read 8,860,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
As far as the the reason for moving, many times the Seasonal depression isn't just about cold weather, but about it gets dark at 5pm or earlier in the winter. And in a place like Seattle, it gets dark at like 430pm. But in the summer the Sun doesn't really set till like 930-10pm up there, whereas in San Diego, you'd get an hour less of sunlight.

The Pacific NW is notorious for depression though. It's a different kind of place. I loved it up there (Washington & Oregon and even Vancouver, BC, Canada), but the overcast and grey skies pretty much most of the year gets old. But you also have to realize that while San Diego is far warmer and sunshine year round, winters aren't Miami kind of weather. There are exceptions, but there are many times where it's 55 in Seattle and 60 in San Diego in Feb.

And honestly if you lived near the coast last summer it felt like living in Seattle. It was June Gloom turned into most of the summer gloom. It wasn't exactly a great summer on the coast. There were moments and days, but I most days I woke up and hoped the grey skies would turn to sunshine by the afternoon. ANd many times it never did. That grey just stuck around. Is that the norm? No, But neither is 80 degrees in Feb.
The SoCal sun is quite intense even if a mild 60-75 degrees out. It always amazes me how the coastal marine layer is just that, at and about 1 mile from coast and then there is sun beyond that inland.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:15 PM

18 posts, read 24,219 times
I've tried it all. I still take 5,000 mg of vitamin D a day. For me, nothing works like real sun on my skin. I don't need hot weather, but just want to feel a bit warmer and happier.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:17 PM

18 posts, read 24,219 times
I am wondering if there is a difference between being "relocated" by your company rather than choosing to relocate. I have a feeling there is. I'll definitely call the WA unemployment office, but I have a feeling we won't get a straight answer and will have to just apply, if need be, and see what happens.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:32 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,311,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
The SoCal sun is quite intense even if a mild 60-75 degrees out. It always amazes me how the coastal marine layer is just that, at and about 1 mile from coast and then there is sun beyond that inland.
yes -- vitamin D deficiency is epidemic the further north you go but particularly PacNW due to both less sunlight in winter (and actually I recall it getting dark at 3:30 not 4:30!) but also the cloudiness.

I was diagnosed with Vit D deficiency within only a few months of moving to Washington.

I've had no issues in CA, and I do get tested fairly regularly for D as its part of a lab I have to get done every 3 months. I still am advised to supplement here since I work indoors but its nothing like the Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego