Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,408 times

Advertisements

We are planning to relocate from upstate NY to the North SD area before the next school year and would love advice on the best community to raise our kids (ages 4, 7 and 9). Schools are a top priority along with newer construction and location east of the marine layer. Budget is $800k to $1.2MM. Based on a recent trip to the area La Costa, Bressi Ranch and San Elijo look like our best bet, but would be interested to hear about other suggestions near Carmel Valley or Encinitas. I work from home so I don't need to factor in a commute. However, access to the airports is preferable, hence the interest in Carmel Valley. My wife also wants a decent sized yard (somewhere north of .25 acres). I suspect there are other threads here that address some of this, but I was not having luck locating anything. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 02:13 PM

434 posts, read 988,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvanhoutny View Post
We are planning to relocate from upstate NY to the North SD area before the next school year and would love advice on the best community to raise our kids (ages 4, 7 and 9). Schools are a top priority along with newer construction and location east of the marine layer. Budget is $800k to $1.2MM. Based on a recent trip to the area La Costa, Bressi Ranch and San Elijo look like our best bet, but would be interested to hear about other suggestions near Carmel Valley or Encinitas. I work from home so I don't need to factor in a commute. However, access to the airports is preferable, hence the interest in Carmel Valley. My wife also wants a decent sized yard (somewhere north of .25 acres). I suspect there are other threads here that address some of this, but I was not having luck locating anything. Thanks in advance for the advice!
For lots north of .25, look into Olivenhain (east Encinitas). Heck, lots may be too big there. Airport proximity not as good as Carmel Valley, though. Bit away from Interstate 5. I would imagine schools rate pretty well.
Wiki says Encinitas Union School District and the San Dieguito Union High School District.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
I live in CV and, as you probably know, it fits your budget.
The top school districts in in SD are Poway, Carlsbad and CV [the lower grades include solana beach/del mar/rancho santa fe and the middle/high school includes all 3 communities plus encinitas. They all feed into San Dieguito School district] Encinitas has an area in the SE corner that attends schools in rancho santa fe. Other schools in Encinitas are hit or miss. You can check great schools dot org for reviews and ratings.

If you want more than .25, I recommend Poway and the seciont of Escondido that borders Rancho Santa Fe [that also attends RSF schools and then feeds into the ms/hs district-San Dieguito. San Elijo Hills, I think, feeds into La Costa Canyon, in Carlsbad, the other top district. You might find something in Encinitas with a larger lot, too.

I have no idea if you can find .25 or larger lot size in your budget, in CV. But I can share about CV in general. I have lived in 3 different areas of SD int he last 12 years [spouse is a SD native] and CV is my favorite as far as location and still having some greenery and a bit of vibrancy. The location to both north county and the airport, as well as central SD, is fantastic. Plus, it's located at the start of the 56, rather than the other inland suburbs that require more time on the 56 and sometimes the 15, as well. So, traffic is pretty minimal to get places, though obviously rush hour can add some time.

Other favorite parts of CV: Walking distance [where I live] to health store, grocery store, movie theater [Cinepolis-the first location of a S. American luxury theater chain-it's an experience!], library, plenty of clean parks, restaurants, amenities, etc. My children are tweens now so I like that they can bike around, scooter, walk to the local plaza, etc. Easy access and I do very little driving for that type of thing. All schools are within walking distance from where I am, including carmel creek and the middle/high school. I also love being a few miles to torrey pines state park for hiking and the beach, and can walk during low tide to del mar village for dinner, then walk back to my car and drive home with no freeway. I like that it is family friendly [though all the areas you are looking at are].

Cons: Meh. One can encounter this in any of the north county affluent areas-people can be standoffish and I'm not a big fan of the so cal superficial, which is somewhat more prominent here. Encinitas is the friendliest of the places you are looking, in my experience, probably followed by Carlsbad.

Other factors for CV: Large asian immigrant first generation population-split between indian, korean and chinese. Strong emphasis on education, which can also be extreme! This area is also 'new money' for any group, notably caucasian.
And, for example, due to temporary work visa [it's a popular place for qual comm and other tech recruits from asia to live due to schools, proximity, quality of life] and that new money attitude [it's more flaunting], the public library is lacking relative to say, del mar or la jolla (old money areas), and there's not a great sense of civic pride. i'm not saying it's terrible, just when looking at the differences it is apparent. The library is just fine, but the selection isn't as good, and they don't receive that many donations, etc. as the other branches I've visited.

Encinitas is relatively more low key and laid back, and people seem a little more involved in the community. Their demographics are different, as well. [I don't know the exact demographic stats off hand, so google away....(:] Encinitas has more holistic [lots of yoga studios] and alternative stuff going on; it's part of the fabric of the community. Also, it's definitely more vibrant than CV, a little artsy and has more young people/singles in 20's-30's, along with families. Encinitas has a Waldorf school and Self Realization fellowship has been there for decades, to give you an idea of its 'flavor'. It also has the famous 'surfing madonna' mosaic. CV has nothing remotely like this in flavor. It's more sterile suburbia but doesn't feel isolated or bland as much due to its location and the amenities here. [the plaza here has become a destination point for people from around the city, since its renovation a few years ago.]
http://www.delmarhighlandstowncenter.com/

Overall, CV has been a good experience for our family, and I am illustrating relative differences. I think CV and La Costa area are fairly similar, actually. Both have many rentals [apartments and condos] as well as SFH, built in traditional suburbia style. And both are a draw for the schools. This is a reliable factor-b/c people who move into the area prioritize education and want similar things: Safe, family friendly, etc.

Encinitas has a broader range of options/lifestyles and is also more dynamic overall. It's more of a community, relatively speaking. Though, people who live in CV/Carlsbad area may have a cul-de-sac gathering or hang out with their neighbor.

Re: Airport and traffic in general, Encinitas will add anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to your commute time, in my estimation, depending on where in Encinitas and what time of day. The 5/805 merge in Del Mar [CV is just south of that, so it's not a factor] is also nearly always bottle necked, though usually the time spent there is fairly minor. Notable exceptions!!! are the fair [the month of June through 4th of July] at Del Mar Fairgrounds (Via De La Valle exit) and Del Mar Race season [horses]; I don't remember the season dates off hand. But these will cause major delays traveling between Encinitas and Del Mar or anyone traveling north or south through there.]

Speaking of traffic variables, I also like that I can travel from CV to La Jolla in 10-15 minutes, where there's a trader joe's, whole foods, shopping, major mall if needed, etc. Encinitas also has a TJ's and a WF-both are in very different areas of the city and the main 101 drag is usually busy with coast visitors and residents, while El Camino Real is the other main drag with plaza after plaza of restaurants and stores. It, too, is quite congested. Del Mar now has a Whole Foods, as well-if of interest to you. Convenience, convenience, everywhere!!! It's the 'so cal way'. lol

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-20-2014 at 02:45 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 06:54 PM

Thanks lrmsd - I really appreciate the insights. We are torn between the convenience of the newer developments with concerns that they may be a bit too homogenous/anodyne. I love the vibe in Encinitas...just didn't see as many housing options that we loved. I'll be coming back to your post for info. Could you share the names of some specific CV neighborhoods we should look at?

Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 AM

140 posts, read 488,763 times
Mvanhouty,
I reloed out here a few years back from back east, previously lived in the suburbs an downtowns of some major cities..DC, Chicago, B-more. North county San Diego, particularly coastal area is great place to live and raise kids. I'm not that familiar with CV, hear good things, location, amenities, good schools. I'm much more familiar with Carlsbad/Encinitas, both are great, well run, financially stable cities, good schools, strong civic activities, close beaches, lots of kids activities....legoland, along with cool beachy vibes of downtown Encinitas and Carlsbad. I have a steady stream of visitors year round from back east.

It will be big difference from upstate NY. Some surprises for me when I moved out here from back east..no bugs, low heating/cooling costs along coast. Never freezes and AC only a week or so a year, year round outdoor sports, fish tacos, watching dolphins frolick at the beach, whale watching among long list of others. San Diego is a truly unique place and you will enjoy it.

You mentioned airport access..... I fly alot both domestically and internationally. Palomar in Carlsbad is great, new terminal, 10 plus flights day up to LAX. Short hopper up coast. I fly as much as I can in/out of it. SAN Diego also has new terminal, very nice, about 40 min drive from Carlsbad. Drive up to LAX is about 90 min with no traffic, much longer drive to LAX with traffic.

Housing market is tight now, as general rule, coastal more expensive and gets more expensive as you move further south. Highest in La Jolla or Coronado. Large yards are not norm in San Diego, unless you get much further away. Exceptions are Rancho Santa Fe, and Olivenhain in Encinitas, but will cost you.
I got decent sized yard for kiddos to run around, went crazy and planted bunch of avocados and wide variety of semi-dwarf citrus trees on drip feed and have lawn on sprinkler irrigation. Wife has good sized garden, nice year round veggies. Larger grassy lawns start becoming expensive on upkeep and irrigation.

Spring real estate seaon just getting underway, so more inventory hitting the market soon. I reloed out here during the housing frenzy few years back. I was disappointed by cost, availabilty and ended up renting a house for a few years in South Carlsbad, at the time my kiddos were pre school age. I spent the time really learning the area, scoping out real estate, then eventually swooped in and bought house in newer development.

Best advice is take an extended trip out here, do alot of research, don't jump in cold to an unknown area. Make a vacation out of it. Take the family to legoland, seaworld, birch acquarium. Drive up the 101 from La Jolla to Carlsbad, have a fish taco or two, go tidal pooling at La Jolla, take a surf lesson, go to San Diego Botanical children's garden, watch the paragliders jump off the cliff at Torrey Pines glider, go whale watching, Hotel Del coronado, Silver Strand, Torrey Pines, etc...etc.

Here's some previous posted links you might find useful.
Good Luck!

Advice on a house hunting trip out to SD, etc. This will also help sell the move to your spouse and kids. They may be very apprehensive about move.....Make it an adventure....The difference from upstate NY and San Diego, especially in Feb is HUGE.

Top recommendations: Things to do when visiting San Diego

Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvanhoutny View Post
Thanks lrmsd - I really appreciate the insights. We are torn between the convenience of the newer developments with concerns that they may be a bit too homogenous/anodyne. I love the vibe in Encinitas...just didn't see as many housing options that we loved. I'll be coming back to your post for info. Could you share the names of some specific CV neighborhoods we should look at?
Oh, I wish I knew neighborhood 'names' off hand. I think it's more by housing development than area names. I don't even know if where we live is a specific area, other than 'near Torrey Pines H.S'. It's not a huge community, so you can map it out and avoid houses on or very close to major cross streets [Carmel Country Road, Carmel Creek Road, Del Mar Heights, houses backing to the 56 [I know people who bought in the first development here, before the 56 even existed! Now, their house is in audio range....].

Also, if you want to be walking distance to the Del Mar Highlands Plaza, library, Rec Center, etc, check for proximity to that. It will place your kids at Carmel Creek and Solana Pacific Schools [currently, k-4 and 5-6, but I just read on the district home site [Solana Beach SD] that it's changing to k-3 and 4-6, I believe next year. [Although, there is another elementary school-cannot remember the name-that some kids attend based on boundaries, but still walking distance to the Rec center, plaza, etc.] The Rec Center has a cool outdoor water fun area for younger kids [under 10 would enjoy, I think] that's open all summer, plus the usual classes.

The plaza also has water spouts that pop up when kids step on them-kind of a fountain that operates by touch. It's fun to watch all the younger children slightly freaked out, perplexed and enjoying themselves, clothes soaking wet, while parents relax nearby. The plazas (two fo them) in CV have free halloween trick or treat and christmas/winter holiday events each year, too. Basically, it's a good area for families. Though, I think many areas/suburbs now have events like this, trying to bring a little bit of community feel to the area [plus encourages parents to buy more, no doubt! Another popular activity are movies in the park-located at Carmel Creek elementary school in the summer. A traveling pop up outdoor movie screen shows a current animayed movie, vendors sell snacks and kids run around in the dark. Good times!!!]

The middle school is CVMS, and some kids opt to open enroll at Earl Warren MS in Solana Beach [smaller school, different demographics.] There's also a new middle school being built as we speak and will be located next door to Canyon Crest Academy-another well regarded high school that is open enrollment by lottery-also in CV. It's gotten more popular in recent years and known for its smaller size, academics and a not as strong on sports. (If you plan to stay long term, it seems things are constantly changing within these districts, probably b/c enrollment increases and it covers such a large area.)

The new middle school will open in 2015, and will take some of the overflow of the overcrowding at CVMS currently. [My child attends currently and it is big, but they do well with the programs regardless. Having a second school will certainly be a boon, however.]

My suggestion would be to look at Solana Beach and Del Mar school district websites, to get a feel for the elementary schools in each, then look at their locations. When you then look at properties, you'll be able to match with the school. The other areas of CV do not have as central of a location for walking; there are a couple of other plaza areas, though the Highlands is kind of cream of the crop as far as restaurants, shops, etc. But you can certainly find another neighborhood location walking distance to schools, such as Sage Canyon elementary [it's in the Del Mar SD].

I think your best bet, based on your budget and desires, is CV or Carlsbad, but don't discount Encinitas I'd check that area of Encinitias that goes to RSF schools. I do have friends who attended schools there and it was a little more...um, how does one say....'catty' and pretentious of an area for their kids. Maybe having the large immigrant base in CV mitigates that somewhat (or simply changes the dynamics and creates a different landscape.) Also, not very many rentals in that area and apt/condo rentals diversifies the socio economic structure for sure, such as in Carlsbad and CV. I think this is a helpful balance for affluent districts, even as there are also obvious discrepancies b/c of it.

It sounds like the airport commute is a key factor for you. If so, then CV really is your better bet. Encinitas, as mentioned, will add commute and Carlsbad will add that much more. I have lived in a couple of central SD areas, and I like being able to access the amenities of the whole city, based in CV. Some people are probably very happy to be in Carlsbad. I prefer being further south for less of a commute to 'other things'. Also, for example, one of my children ran cross country for a team in Escondido, as there were no private teams in north county coastal. The commute was def. shorter than those coming from Carlsbad, etc. And, I regularly go to Lake Poway for hiking and can go east to the 15 easily. Or south to La Jolla Shores beach-another of my favorites that is one of the best beaches for families/young children, actually. I can even go back roads to get there, with no freeway. Note: Back roads are not always an option in so cal. It's mostly freeways with some exceptions. Basically, traveling east, south or north is really convenient to CV. I don't know if this would even be important to you guys for at least a few years, since your kids are younger and you'd be getting settled into this area. My .02.

The good news is: You can be in Encinitas within 15 minutes, and Del Mar Village within a few minutes using back roads. True, I do not go to Encinitas as often as a like, due to the traffic getting there.

Suburb feel: I do not think CV feels as sterile as other suburbs. The architecture has a bit of variation and even some red tile roofs in a faux rustic Italian style and a couple of supposed spanish-esque styles. The key to it not feeling as sterile is that it has greenery and trees, plus a lot of amenities and is located just a couple of miles to the coast. So, it's cosmopolitan suburbia and has some sophistication. If you find a place you love in Encinitias, and the corresponding schools are good, great! If not, it sounds like your path of least resistance is CV-schools, very family friendly, proximity to airport and other amenities. The value of the area will remain high, so you can always sell and move to Encinitas down the road, if you really don't jive with CV long term.

BTW, I am originally from MA (Boston area. I also had a short stint in upstate NY at one point, and lived in CO, MT and SFO-just to give you an idea of my reference point/opinion), and one thing I do tell people who come from elsewhere, especially places that are green and have older housing stock and from back east, is: Go Native!!! Do not try to re create what you have elsewhere or what you 'liked' about where you came from [I say the same to people coming from the bay area and very liberal areas who want Berkeley in so cal, just in case you are located somewhere similar in upstate NY]. You will be sorely disappointed if you try to recreate. It doesn't exist here. In So CAL, one needs to mix and match and compromise. ie, some people are adamant that they want a house with character, and frankly, it usually will not give you good school districts or lots of parks and open space. [unless you have mega bucks and by in Del Mar or RSF proper].

Also, the politics are not liberal in SD. It's not as conservative as it was; it's really very live and let live-but it's also the result of a fairly apathetic and un involved public. People are not particularly engaged in their communities (which is why I said Encinitas has a little more of this-but it is very relative-it's not a bastion of community or political activism or anything.). It's laid back in SD, which is the up side of this dynamic! Also, so cal lacks tradition and people are pretty open minded as long as you are not bothering them. BUT, some people move here, esp. from the east coast, and find the lack of dedicated holiday traditions, etc, to be unsettling or even soulless, lol. I mean, there are some traditional events, but not like the east coast that has centuries of established norms and communities.

It's true that in CA one can recreate oneself at any age, and nobody will give it a second thought or glance, for the most part. That's another benefit of being laid back and not as rooted in cultural norms and traditions. (California doubled its population in the last 50 or so years) So there are pros and cons to this, depending on the person. Most people moving here, obviously, think they are signing on for the new and that's what they want, but don't realize the cultural shift beyond weather and laid back attitude. You won't really find people here who have lived in the area for generations, for example. It has a more transient feel. [My spouse is a native, but parents came from elsewhere, so first generation. The same is true for the other SD natives I know-their parents came here.]

Also, So CAL is not super 'in your face' communication wise. It's superficially friendly, but depth conversations, from people of any political or lifestyle persuasion, are fairly rare. I call it the 3 round rule. You get 3 rounds of back and forth and then people sort of shut down. Obviously, with close friends it's different...but as far as daily interaction with acquaintances and shopping, parks, etc, that is how it goes. So, find a friend, quick!!!! ha ha. Goes without saying that there may be people having different experiences or variations on the theme; my assessment is solid, though, from mine and others' experiences. East coast tends to be more direct, straightforward and yet superficially reserved. So CAL is more superficially friendly, even warm, but reserved otherwise and definitely not conflict oriented, prefering to avoid or be pleasant instead. Sometimes, I just wish someone would get all hot and bothered about something....(:

I figured I'd mention a few cultural differences. Hope this info is helpful to you and/or others reading this thread at a future date.

Good luck and enjoy! I think all the areas you are looking are wonderful places for families. The year round lack of winter gear and winter maintenance in life is a boon, IMO. The outdoors is essentially an additional room in one's house, pretty much year round.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-21-2014 at 10:12 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDrelocate View Post
Mvanhouty,
I reloed out here a few years back from back east, previously lived in the suburbs an downtowns of some major cities..DC, Chicago, B-more. North county San Diego, particularly coastal area is great place to live and raise kids. I'm not that familiar with CV, hear good things, location, amenities, good schools. I'm much more familiar with Carlsbad/Encinitas, both are great, well run, financially stable cities, good schools, strong civic activities, close beaches, lots of kids activities....legoland, along with cool beachy vibes of downtown Encinitas and Carlsbad. I have a steady stream of visitors year round from back east.

It will be big difference from upstate NY. Some surprises for me when I moved out here from back east..no bugs, low heating/cooling costs along coast. Never freezes and AC only a week or so a year, year round outdoor sports, fish tacos, watching dolphins frolick at the beach, whale watching among long list of others. San Diego is a truly unique place and you will enjoy it.

You mentioned airport access..... I fly alot both domestically and internationally. Palomar in Carlsbad is great, new terminal, 10 plus flights day up to LAX. Short hopper up coast. I fly as much as I can in/out of it. SAN Diego also has new terminal, very nice, about 40 min drive from Carlsbad. Drive up to LAX is about 90 min with no traffic, much longer drive to LAX with traffic.

Housing market is tight now, as general rule, coastal more expensive and gets more expensive as you move further south. Highest in La Jolla or Coronado. Large yards are not norm in San Diego, unless you get much further away. Exceptions are Rancho Santa Fe, and Olivenhain in Encinitas, but will cost you.
I got decent sized yard for kiddos to run around, went crazy and planted bunch of avocados and wide variety of semi-dwarf citrus trees on drip feed and have lawn on sprinkler irrigation. Wife has good sized garden, nice year round veggies. Larger grassy lawns start becoming expensive on upkeep and irrigation.

Spring real estate seaon just getting underway, so more inventory hitting the market soon. I reloed out here during the housing frenzy few years back. I was disappointed by cost, availabilty and ended up renting a house for a few years in South Carlsbad, at the time my kiddos were pre school age. I spent the time really learning the area, scoping out real estate, then eventually swooped in and bought house in newer development.

Best advice is take an extended trip out here, do alot of research, don't jump in cold to an unknown area. Make a vacation out of it. Take the family to legoland, seaworld, birch acquarium. Drive up the 101 from La Jolla to Carlsbad, have a fish taco or two, go tidal pooling at La Jolla, take a surf lesson, go to San Diego Botanical children's garden, watch the paragliders jump off the cliff at Torrey Pines glider, go whale watching, Hotel Del coronado, Silver Strand, Torrey Pines, etc...etc.

Here's some previous posted links you might find useful.
Good Luck!

Advice on a house hunting trip out to SD, etc. This will also help sell the move to your spouse and kids. They may be very apprehensive about move.....Make it an adventure....The difference from upstate NY and San Diego, especially in Feb is HUGE.

Top recommendations: Things to do when visiting San Diego
Great point about Carlsbad airport-we actually flew cheaper to HI from there, than from LAX or SD-though we had to route through LAX anyway. The C. airport is so mellow and wonderful. I hope they increase flight options, though I suspect it's generally always going to be a commuter airport, mainly. SD airport, however, is a breeze as far as large metro areas. It's my favorite by far, and I've also lived abroad, traveled internationally and lived in several states. SD airport is pretty easy to get in and out of, parking isn't *too* outrageous, and the folks who work there are friendly and laid back, for the most part. [Speaking as airports go, of course.]

I also fly out of LAX when needed. Tip for that: You can find several airport hotels for less than $100 [sometimes much less] that offer free parking for up to 2 weeks, just for staying the night. So spend the night before your flight, and park. This is helpful when going on vacation or traveling as family back east.

Also, to the OP: I may not check this thread, so if you'd like to ask me any specific questions, feel free to DM me. I may have exhausted my CV/north county knowledge in this thread, however. Not sure if I have anything else to add. LOL.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-21-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM

Love this insight and appreciate hearing from a Northeastern point of view. We're outside Rochester now and lived in NYC for a while, but have relatives-in law who are from the South who echo the warm, but more superficial style of interaction.

I found the people I ran into to be rather approachable and ready to share their perspectives, but have had a very limited opportunity to get to know people.

I'll direct message in the future, but it looks like the site will only let me send one per day.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
Based on the poster's criteria, lot size is going to be the hardest detail to satisfy.

Plenty of newer construction homes along coastal north county in good school districts can be had for <$1.2M, but not with lots larger than .25 acres. To get a lot larger than .25 acre, you have to go to Olivenhein or RSF, and prices there start around $2M, and that's for a fixer-upper.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:37 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,532 times
I also think you need to realize what people mean by "walkable" areas. Encinitas, Del Mar, La Jolla, Carlsbad all have little main street/downtown like areas that are walkable. If you live close enough to them you never have to use a car.
Places like CV and the Del Mar heights and so on are 'walkable' in a sense if you want to walk to a plaza with grocery stores and a few shops and an old barnes and noble. And you wouldn't walk from the movie theatre in Del Mar heights to the new Flower Promenade with Whole Foods.

I see a lot of the "walkable" and it's kind of a marketing pitch more than reality in many of these places. They are nice little plaza's, but that's what they are, plaza's. Whereas you walk around a downtown or Encinitas and that becomes more of a real walkable community. As long as you live close enough. Live out in suburbia Encinitas and you'll just be walking to target and walmart and a bunch of other plaza's.

People from out of town who don't know San Diego might think "walkable" is actually walkable. That's why I'd be careful when you hear "walkable." You can walk anywhere you want, but the reality is, if you live near Jimbos or Ralphs, you'll be walking to a plaza. You're not walking down main street. And that area without a car isn't exactly close enough to walk to anything else. You're not going to walk to some mall. You're not going to walk to the beach. It's not exactly that close. There are trails and bike paths, but to get from the del mar heights town center over to Whole Foods and to the beach is not really a walkable area.

Just a warning when you hear "walkable." I know when I think walkable I'm thinking main street, downtown areas, and so on. I'm not thinking Walk to the plaza where there is a grocery store, some small stores, a movie theater and nothing else around to really walk to. It's not even a mall. It's just a plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego