Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 02:50 PM

6 posts, read 8,842 times

Advertisements

Using only Zillow, Homes.com, and Realtor.com, I'm becoming very discouraged. I would have thought that, even in the San Diego area, especially now, one could find a relatively modern and new single family home in this price range. What I'm finding is old, run down, and very disappointing.

Is it that there are not many listings? I don't really believe that my price range is wrong... it seems like I should be ok for something 2-3 bedrooms, 1200 sqft, etc. Thoughts? Examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 04:42 PM

321 posts, read 540,944 times
2050 Talon Way, San Diego, CA 92123 is For Sale - Zillow

A good example of an "old" house that looks nicely updated.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchides View Post
I would have thought that, even in the San Diego area, especially now, one could find a relatively modern and new single family home in this price range. What I'm finding is old, run down, and very disappointing.

Is it that there are not many listings? I don't really believe that my price range is wrong... it seems like I should be ok for something 2-3 bedrooms, 1200 sqft, etc. Thoughts? Examples?
New single family home construction at $400k+, basically impossible in central San Diego.

I think your only shot is if you are south in Otay Ranch or Chula Vista, or possibly East County. Give Ramona or Vista a look. Else you could check out Rancho Bernardo, Encinitas, or perhaps Escondidio, you may find something. But these places each come with commutes, and during rush-hour, it's a nightmare if you are on a main artery.

Anything centrally located, much higher pricing, from Carlsbad all the way to downtown, Point Loma, and beyond -- you're looking at double your price range for single detached. And most of the new homes (think Alta Del Mar) are at around $1.1 million and up. Poway (north) also is pretty expensive right now. Coastal San Diego, forget it, cash buyers will write seven-figure checks and pay ridiculous amounts of money for dumps. Prices in "beach" neighborhoods like Solana Beach, Del Mar, La Jolla, Pacific Beach, etc. will make your head explode, don't even waste your time. If you find something central, single family, and it's at $500k, it will be a dump or teardown -- and even then, flippers will be looking to buy it. Guaranteed.

At ~ $500k and centrally located, your basically looking at a small condo (could possibly squeak by with a junky townhome). These condos are basically good for young adults and college grads, not families. Just one example, there are some new condos in Mission Valley (called Civita). These small condo boxes are starting at around $450k, they are tiny and don't have 3 bedrooms. I'd never pay that amount for them, but this is the Fed-inflated market right now in San Diego.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:54 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Very tough price point but you should be able to find a small house in an area like Allied Gardens or Serra Mesa or Clairemont or parts of La Mesa. You should expect to pay upwards of $300-400/sf for a renovated small home. Mid 500k opens up more options but IMO you don't really start finding truly nice single family homes until you hit 600k+. This is why so many people buy in San Marcos and Eastlake, it's just not worth it to a lot of folks who want the space.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 02-16-2014 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 05:11 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Try out in Santee.

10196 E Glendon Cir, Santee, CA 92071 is For Sale - Zillow
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/87...79571495_zpid/
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/85...63128258_zpid/

Old 02-16-2014, 06:21 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Using only Zillow, Homes.com, and Realtor.com, I'm becoming very discouraged. I would have thought that, even in the San Diego area, especially now, one could find a relatively modern and new single family home in this price range. What I'm finding is old, run down, and very disappointing.

It is hard to do without a realtor. You are always behind the 8ball so to speak.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:17 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
SDLookup.com | San Diego County Real Estate & Homes for Sale

Another blogger provided this website in another thread, its pretty good. Give it a try.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
A few years ago, there were more bargains but the market has stabilized at the moment.
As mentioned, you'll need to check different options: Escondido [has some very high end and some very low end areas, so be thorough with researching neighborhoods there], Eastlake [near chula vista-CV also has some very rough areas], Santee [again, some rough areas], Lakeside [same] and San Marcos are your best bets.

The other thing is: SD is largely suburban and most homes have 3-4 bedrooms. If you go to urban SD, you'll find homes with more character, older and many 2 bedroom cottages/houses. You can check Normal Heights, North Park and maybe some areas of City Heights [though most of CH is not a good area, but those that border kensington and rolando can have some okay spots].

I really don't think clairemont will give you much-if you do see a listing, be aware that the area of N. Clairemont, near Clairmont square is not the best place.

You could also check La Mesa Village for a two bedroom.

These older two bedrooms will probably be much smaller square footage at your price point, unfortunately. BUT, there are always exceptions and deals to be found. Patience is key in this market. And persistence. I have also heard that zillow and trulia are not really reliable sources for listings and that they do not provide the full list of inventory.

Also, avoid Oceanside, Logan Heights and National City.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:

Are you in San Diego at the moment or browsing from afar?

Typically in San Diego on the whole, you really arent going to find 'relatively modern and new' SFHs @2/3 BR and only 1200 sq ft.

Newer homes that size are not for SFHs. That is condo or townhome territory.

Most newer SFHs out here are starting at 2k sq ft + in the suburbs.

For that size, you will have to look at older post WWII type homes that have been fixed up.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
A few years ago, there were more bargains but the market has stabilized at the moment.
As mentioned, you'll need to check different options: Escondido [has some very high end and some very low end areas, so be thorough with researching neighborhoods there], Eastlake [near chula vista-CV also has some very rough areas], Santee [again, some rough areas], Lakeside [same] and San Marcos are your best bets.

The other thing is: SD is largely suburban and most homes have 3-4 bedrooms. If you go to urban SD, you'll find homes with more character, older and many 2 bedroom cottages/houses. You can check Normal Heights, North Park and maybe some areas of City Heights [though most of CH is not a good area, but those that border kensington and rolando can have some okay spots].

I really don't think clairemont will give you much-if you do see a listing, be aware that the area of N. Clairemont, near Clairmont square is not the best place.

You could also check La Mesa Village for a two bedroom.

These older two bedrooms will probably be much smaller square footage at your price point, unfortunately. BUT, there are always exceptions and deals to be found. Patience is key in this market. And persistence. I have also heard that zillow and trulia are not really reliable sources for listings and that they do not provide the full list of inventory.

Also, avoid Oceanside, Logan Heights and National City.
Indeed, I agree with this although Oceanside is not nearly as bad as it used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego