Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,875,216 times

Advertisements

Try looking into Leisure World in Orange County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:29 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,051,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I'll second Lemon Grove/La Mesa over Rancho Bernardo (though I don't know much about Lemon Grove/La Mesa). Rancho Bernardo has lots of (well-off) retirees, but is all developed, and there isn't that much open space around it - it sounds to me like you'd be bored silly there. It would seem artificial and sterile compared to a small town in New Mexico.

If you can tolerate some amount of red-neckedness, consider Santee and Lakeside since they're farther out from the urban parts of San Diego. In fact, for semi-rural and rural think of east county - Alpine and even farther - but be aware that you'll be farther away from services. Or far north county - Lakeside/Bonsall, for example. Or Ramona, if you can put up with the political conservatism there.

Linda Vista? I think there are more problems with gangs in Linda Vista than the rest of Clairemont Mesa. And it's in the middle of a very developed part of San Diego. I wouldn't think that would be a good fit.
Though, Rancho Berrnardo is close to Blue Sky Reserve and Lake Poway-both really nice areas with trails, etc. for outdoor activity. And Rancho Penasquitos is the next area over, with many trails of its own. Good for photography, nature, etc. with all of the canyons. I wouldn't say it's 'all developed', though I agree it is sterile suburbia-similar to most of SD. I think RB,Poway and PQ are happy mediums to the redneck of lakeside/santee vs. the more urban areas. Also, La Mesa is okay and has a cute village, but everywhere in SD you basically will need to drive to do other things.

It doesn't sound like the OP is looking for the same as he has in NM, but in SD. Looking for 'an interesting place' and a change of pace. Going from rural NM to an urban metro of 4 million in so cal, is obviously going to be different.

My opinion is to look at condos in RB, Poway, Carmel Mountain Ranch, Penasquitos and even Carmel Valley [few miles from Torrey Pines State Beach], as well as La Mesa and maybe San Marcos. Just to give you an idea of the different lifestyle options. If you want safe, convenient to stores and outdoors, the north county inland suburbs are good choices. They are clean and have convenient access to nature with crowds mostly on the weekends only.

Also, you are then close to places like Del Mar, Encinitas and Solana Beach on the north coast-great communities with lots of do and see, vibrant with nice amenities, and plenty of folks in your demographic in all of these areas, but also with families and professionals...a good mix. Also, I think Lakeside and Santee can be just as sterile and boring, so it'll depend on the type of atmosphere you are looking for. Unless you do urban central areas, you'll need to drive places anyway. Though, you can likely be walking distance from plazas with grocery store, library, etc, etc in the north county suburbs, just to have that option if you want it. Lakeside and Santee also have notable meth issues in some areas. Poway, PQ, CV, etc are not known for this.

Another option: Escondido: Check the area near Elfin Forest and Lake Hodges. It does get warmer there in the summer, but you're not far from the coast-20-30 minutes.
Bonsall is even further north and has pretty areas but also suburb developments and in general is kind of isolated.
Good luck and enjoy!
ps-If you can buy a condo in a desirable area [Poway and Carmel Valley are the top school districts in the county for example, and RB, PQ, CMR are all popular with families and retirees], it will be a good investment for you, if that is of interest. Otherwise, I guess it depends on whether you feel like renting or owning. It will be tough to rent a SFH with $2200, mostly b/c/ the suburbs have 3-4 bedroom homes and, as mentioned, they are popular for the school districts. Though, the urban parts of SD that are trendy, are also pricey-but you can find 2 bedroom homes more often due to the older buildings. I think north county inland is nice due to the canyons that many complexes are built up against, usually with some trails around. It's tranquil but still convenient to places. [even though sterile suburbia-welcome to so cal! ha ha]

Old 02-18-2014, 03:22 PM

6,882 posts, read 8,858,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Try looking into Leisure World in Orange County.
not for everybody

Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Pension.
You're lucky somewhat to be part of the last pension generation. But you worked hard in a worthwhile profession, so you deserve it imo. All the best.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:36 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,407,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
You're lucky somewhat to be part of the last pension generation. But you worked hard in a worthwhile profession, so you deserve it imo. All the best.
Thanks for the kind words, Bloom. The irony is that I lived month-to-month until I retired, sold my CA house, and moved to New Mexico. Putting my son through college was definitely not easy on the wallet.

Finally, life is good: I'm able to live comfortably and my son's a lawyer, married with a growing family. I feel very fortunate.

Last edited by nmguy; 02-19-2014 at 02:57 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, Bloom. The irony is that I lived month-to-month until I retired, sold my CA house, and moved to New Mexico. Putting my son through college was definitely not easy on the wallet.

Finally, life is good: I'm able to live comfortably and my son's a lawyer, married with a growing family. I feel very fortunate.
Where in CA did you live and work?
Where does son live? At some point, consider a separate in-law residence there for you (as may be preferred over leisure world).

Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Where in CA did you live and work?
Where does son live?
I lived in Palo Alto from 1968-2003. Got married in 1969 and we bought our first house for $24k. Bought and sold two others between then and when I left. Luckily, I accrued enough equity to pay off my last home loan and my son's college loans. Had enough left over for a healthy down payment on my current residence.

I worked in Chula Vista, Fremont, Recife (Brasil) and Milpitas during that stretch of time.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 PM

Can you move in with your son and daughter-in-law and grandkids? Are they living in a location you like?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Can you move in with your son and daughter-in-law and grandkids? Are they living in a location you like?
My son lives in Grand Junction, CO. My daughter, who just got married, lives in Woodside, CA.

Visiting them on occasion and having them come visit me is the best scenario. I'm an independent sort, and I like my privacy. Besides, eventually getting married is a possibility.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
My son lives in Grand Junction, CO. My daughter, who just got married, lives in Woodside, CA.

Visiting them on occasion and having them come visit me is the best scenario. I'm an independent sort, and I like my privacy. Besides, eventually getting married is a possibility.
all good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego