Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,028,951 times

Advertisements

I just saw this. Looks like the effort for the games is getting serious.

San Diego 2024 Olympics - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 11:24 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,286,657 times
Thanks for sharing echo. It would be insane if we did have it here.

As I understand the process, isnt this bid just to be considered a host city within the US only from a short list of other US cities? My impression was that the IOC ultimately makes the decision if its even going to be in the US at all vs other other bidding countries.

Or is it by the city first, then host country? Hrm.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:33 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,918,293 times
I liked the video. Where did you find it?

Old 02-23-2014, 11:36 AM

San Diego Vying to Host 2024 Olympics | NBC 7 San Diego

That is an article about San Diego's bid including an interview with the head of the San Diego exploratory committee.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:46 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,633,809 times
I think that would be awesome. Our transportation system is seriously lacking in its current state. There are multiple upgrades being planned and new routes in the works in the next few years though. I don't even know if I will still be living in San Diego 10 years from now, but it would still be super cool to see my hometown host the olympics.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,028,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Thanks for sharing echo. It would be insane if we did have it here.

As I understand the process, isnt this bid just to be considered a host city within the US only from a short list of other US cities? My impression was that the IOC ultimately makes the decision if its even going to be in the US at all vs other other bidding countries.

Or is it by the city first, then host country? Hrm.
Yes, I believe you are right. This is not even the "semi finals" yet. Once the US decides which city will be the US representative, then the real bid gets under way. I know that Dallas is a strong candidate as well. This video may have taken a shot at them already, bragging about the weather and "less humidity".

Old 02-23-2014, 01:19 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,633,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Yes, I believe you are right. This is not even the "semi finals" yet. Once the US decides which city will be the US representative, then the real bid gets under way. I know that Dallas is a strong candidate as well. This video may have taken a shot at them already, bragging about the weather and "less humidity".
Also water as in ocean water! Dallas is landlocked.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:23 PM

I noticed the UT is pushing this idea probably as a backdoor way to getting taxpayers to pay for a new Chargers stadium.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:54 PM

6,898 posts, read 8,954,448 times
I still like the general idea of a bi-city/country hosting games with TJ, but likely problematic as both cities are deficient in infrastructure to host games separately and border issues. Maybe if SD steps up to plate (unlikely if taxpayer pays) to host alone, they can have some token competitions in TJ for show.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:55 PM

4,545 posts, read 12,420,913 times
It would be cool. It would also be frightfully expensive, especially for a city that just had a near-death experience with bankruptcy.

80% of the facilities may be in place, but the 20% which remains are the most expensive. And as Think4yourself pointed out, part of this is a backdoor attempt to build a new Chargers stadium at taxpayer's expense.

The transportation facilities, particularly the airport capacity are inadequate. To skirt around that, maybe a rail link could be built between LAX and San Diego and really make Rodriguez field in TJ a viable alternate. Additionally, Caltrans is already thinking about rebuilding the freeway interchanges along I-8, because several of them are grossly deficient (Mission Gorge/Fairmount for example which is one of the routes to SDSU). Hwy 78/I-15 area is a disaster. Will the trolley extension from Downtown to UCSD (another Olympic venue) have been built by 2024? Would it be possible to have all of the needed transportation infrastructure in place in 10 short years? I doubt it.

Other pieces of the City's infrastructure are also in disrepair, and couldn't be fixed in time for 2024, given the lack of money and the glacial speed at which the City's Purchasing and Contracting Department operates. I would like to see the City pass a $2 billion infrastructure bond with none of the money devoted to a stadium. Skipping the stadium would free up hundreds of millions of additional dollars for roads, sidewalks, bike lanes, parks, added fire houses, and rehabilitated libraries and police stations. And yes, I would be prepared to pay an increased sales tax to get things the city actually needs, but I would have to be persuaded to foot the bill for white elephants.

After that is accomplished, then maybe we can talk. It would also give Sandag more time to complete their regional transportation projects.

Maybe 2028 or 2032. I didn't really want to rain on the parade because I think it would be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego