U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 05:16 PM

93 posts, read 396,287 times

Advertisements

Im planning on moving to San Diego, but my parents are very worried as they have heard alot of bad things about the city. So to help relieve their fears I would like to be able to answer the following questions:

1. Does San Diego get earthquakes and are the apt buildings safe to withstand said earthquakes?

2. Is there alot of gang activity there? Is it a fairly safe town?

3. What is the average rent for a 1 bed apt?

4. How is the job situation? I would be working in the restaurant industry, about how much would I be able to earn on tips per month at a busy, upscale place? ( I know this is a tough question, but if anyone is familiar with the industry, could you guess or give me maybe an average range?)

5. What are the safest areas for a single, 22yr old, female to live in?

Thanks for the advice
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM

5,317 posts, read 8,260,132 times
1. Only earthquakes in past few years have been very mild ones. Probably wouldn't even have felt them. I really wouldn't worry about this too much.

2. San Diego is comprised of many neighborhoods. Check this SD Police Website for annual number of crimes by neighborhood.
Crime Statistics/Maps | Police Department

In general ... SD is a very safe city with very little crime. There are some areas to avoid, mostly down near the Mexico border. Imperial Beach is an example.

3. Apts run around $1000/mo. Check this website for a Craigslist post, which will tells about finding roommates with apartments/houses to share. Will save you $$$$

5. Best areas ... my recommendations are Clairemont and Mission Valley. But it depends on what type of area you like to live in (urban/city, suburban, near beach, etc). You should stay in a hotel, and then drive everywhere around the city, to see what pleases you. Then check craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums (http://www.sandiego.craigslist.org - broken link) for apartments and/or roommates.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:41 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,136,405 times
Really! Better do your research. There earthquake zones right off the bay from coronado to san diego

Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,801,267 times
Smile San Diego

San Diego is expensive and has a poor salary to cost of living ratio. In other words they don't match very well. Be sure to check into roommates but be careful. It might be best to rent a small studio or something and get to know people before sharing with someone.

Don't sweat the earthquakes. Yes, it could happen, but there hasn't been a major quake here in decades. Wild fires are a greater threat here than earthquakes but, as this last time proves, we do a pretty good job of handling that situation and we'll probably get better.

Your parents will always worry about you, but they'll worry less, if you can find a building or complex that has security.

You will be able to easily find a job in the restaurant industry if you have a good background and references. How much you will be able to make will depend on several factors including where you end up working, and how good you are at servicing your customers.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:05 AM

13 posts, read 72,878 times
The best place for you (low rent, low crime) is Clairemont.
Most places here are over $1000/mth. Clairemont is cheapest safe place.

Earthquakes are not a danger here. The closest fault is 70 miles east in the desert. There are dormant faults off the coast, but the shape of ocean floor here does not lend itself to creating tsuamis. Its safe, unlike LA/SF.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Default OH really

San Diego area is still more prone to earthquakes than other
>areas in the US away from the West Coast. In fact, the original adobe
>buildings of the first Spanish settlement in California, the Mission San
>Diego Del Alcala in what is now San Diego, were destroyed by an earthquake
>only a few years after they were constructed. So even though San Diego is
>not as earthquake-prone as Los Angeles or San Francisco, it's not as stable
>as Albany, either.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:20 PM

Since 1984 earthquake activity in San Diego County has doubled over that of the preceding 50 years. In modern times the strongest recorded quake (seismographs were not developed until 1934) in coastal San Diego County was the M5.3 temblor that occurred on 13 July 1986 on the Coronado Bank Fault, 25 miles offshore of Solana Beach.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:17 PM

240 posts, read 838,151 times
24 earthquake forecast map:

http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/step/

Old 12-14-2007, 08:19 PM

240 posts, read 838,151 times
Current crime stats by neighborhood:

http://www.sandiego.gov/police/pdf/070101rates.pdf

Old 12-15-2007, 03:17 PM

5 posts, read 32,307 times
Thumbs up Leucadia

1. I've been here 5 years and I think I've felt two. Hardly detectable.

2. Before I moved here I checked out crime statistic websites on San Diego. I also just looked at google maps and then googled the city names. The most interesting one I found was http://www.pacificbeachonline.com/. So I moved there. If you like to party go to Pacific Beach. As a whole, I haven't seen much gang activity anywhere in San Diego.

3. Avg rent depends on where you live. I was living 1/2 block from the beach in Leucadia for only $1300, and that was a two bedroom. I think the farther inland you get the cheaper it is.

4. I am in the IT industry so don't know anything regarding restaurant biz. But by experience you could get a job downtown in the Gaslamp area, somewhere on Coronado Island, La Jolla, or Del Mar areas.

5. You would feel comfortable in Solana Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas, or Leucadia. Carlsbad too. I would say Pacific Beach but you always randomly hear about peeping toms in PB. However, PB is the place where you can walk down the street on a Friday night and find a house party, get so wasted you pass out on their front yard, wake up the next morning and walk home (which in PB is no more than half a mile). You don't see this college-like behavior in the quaint north county beach cities. I say check out Leucadia.

-dan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego