Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 11:44 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times

Advertisements

Before you ship computers with hard drives in them, research "parking" the hard drives (I think that's the term - can someone else verify?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM

19 posts, read 26,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Before you ship computers with hard drives in them, research "parking" the hard drives (I think that's the term - can someone else verify?).
haha, I think parking is an archaic method of preservation over long periods of stagnancy for the drives, most new drives already do parking on their own when dismounted if i recall correctly. But I may be wrong, maybe you know something I don't!

Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
get rid of the desk. ship all dvds/books/cds media mail. ship the computer whole, don't pull the hdd's out of their carriage, safer if screwed in. you could just ship the bike frame or do a tear down of it. get rid of the xbox gen one, do you really need to play the original halo that bad? I would sell the monitors and get new ones, they are a dime a dozen and the most prone to get damaged in shipping. scan the post cards and printed images, you seem like you have a raid system or something to back them up...
why do you need two computer towers? start using VM's or something. sounds like a good idea to do some spring cleaning. have a craigslist moving sale.

you can ship all that stuff way cheaper than getting a pod.
fedex is generally cheaper for heavier stuff.
post office for the clothes.
  • Getting rid of the desk
  • Ship all of the dvds books cds media
  • Ship the computer whole - That's fine and dandy, but the hard drives are easily slid out and removed, and that is probably the most impotant part of the computer that I do not want to risk leaving behind or shipping, I prefer those stay with me, because even if my computer gets damaged, or goes missing, I cannot replace everything on my hard drives.
  • Ship the bike - shouldn't be more than $200, so yea
  • get rid of the xbox gen one - I cannot do that because it's not just a typical xbox gen one, I hardware hacked it to the point of it almost being a PC in itself. I invested a lot of time into it and it has nearly 800 games on it, including all past generation games, (PS, SNES, NES, Sega, Dreamcast). and anyways, it's not that big.
  • Monitors being sold.. - I'll definitely consider that, I am wondering if I can just get them professionally packed to where they shouldn't have an issue transporting them.
  • "Why do you need two computer towers?" - I myself use one, my grilfriend uses the other.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digress View Post
haha, I think parking is an archaic method of preservation over long periods of stagnancy for the drives, most new drives already do parking on their own when dismounted if i recall correctly. But I may be wrong, maybe you know something I don't!
I don't know. We dealt with it many years ago, and you may be right that drives now park on their own. Still, might be worth asking about it in the Computer forum or elsewhere.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
I ship electronics pretty regularly, depends on the system. What I mean is they will be safer from shock in the actual tower than if you take them out and put them in something else. Assuming there are in a sturdy carriage. I usually ship server systems though, so, might be sturdier, not sure what kind of boxen you have. Best bet on the computer monitors is just to patrol neighborhoods and find somebody that through their box beside the road and use their padding. Imac boxes work nice also.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I ship electronics pretty regularly, depends on the system. What I mean is they will be safer from shock in the actual tower than if you take them out and put them in something else. Assuming there are in a sturdy carriage. I usually ship server systems though, so, might be sturdier, not sure what kind of boxen you have. Best bet on the computer monitors is just to patrol neighborhoods and find somebody that through their box beside the road and use their padding. Imac boxes work nice also.
Interesting idea about the boxes, I'll be on the lookout for that.
Regarding what type of tower, I have a coolermaster gaming tower, so i am sure it'd be fine, but I was intending on putting my hard drives in anti-static bags anyways.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Default Have an auction for what you don't want to take!

Just a suggestion for some ready cash and fastest-easiest way to dispose of the things you won't be taking... contact an auctioneer to handle having an auction.

When my husband passed away,I remembered what a friend had told me about area auctioneers when I first met her and told her that my daughter and I enjoyed attending auctions and estate sales. She told me which ones to attend if we wanted to buy and which one to use if we ever wanted to have an auction because he got the best prices.

It is a wonderful way to get rid of your stuff, if you have a lot,they do everything,place the listing of items in the paper,tell you what day it will be,set everything up for the sale,supply refreshments,tell you what their cut is,and when it's over,they do the clean up.I highly,highly recommend an auction as the way to go,and it's the only way I will make a big move again,sell and repurchase new.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Just a suggestion for some ready cash and fastest-easiest way to dispose of the things you won't be taking... contact an auctioneer to handle having an auction.

When my husband passed away,I remembered what a friend had told me about area auctioneers when I first met her and told her that my daughter and I enjoyed attending auctions and estate sales. She told me which ones to attend if we wanted to buy and which one to use if we ever wanted to have an auction because he got the best prices.

It is a wonderful way to get rid of your stuff, if you have a lot,they do everything,place the listing of items in the paper,tell you what day it will be,set everything up for the sale,supply refreshments,tell you what their cut is,and when it's over,they do the clean up.I highly,highly recommend an auction as the way to go,and it's the only way I will make a big move again,sell and repurchase new.
That sounds like a good idea, considering the reason I am leaving was because I was taking care of a loved one who was sick and she had unfortunately passed away, but regarding my own personal belongings, I don't even have enough to call my own to consider auctioning off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: