Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:41 AM

19 posts, read 26,754 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I'm moving to NY within the month, I already have a place provided for me as well as work, etc.

But I am wondering if any of you know any good deals on moving a small amount of stuff across the country for cheap, including 1 car (not driven, but transported). I, myself, will be flying.

A general list of what is going to need to be transported

-Clothes (about 3 boxes worth)
-A Road bicycle
-2 computer towers
-2 monitors
-ps3
-xbox (gen1)
-misc. electronic components
-a 63" wide desk
-Misc junk not exceeding 75 lbs

As it is right now, I was going to buy a uhaul pod for an estimated amount of $1500 for the stuff and get that transported by one of those mass uhaul transports.
And see if i can get one of those 'car trucks' to piggyback my car cross country for an estimated amount of $950-$1000.

I intended on bringing the computer tower and monitors with me on the plane, i read somewhere that I should remove the hard drives (i have 5 hard drives in total) and take them with me on the plane, will this be a problem?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as this move will leave me little to no cash in the end with my current plan.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:35 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Make copies of your data. Transport insured UPS/Fedex to your door.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Make copies of your data. Transport insured UPS/Fedex to your door.
Transport everything via UPS/Fedex? What about transporting my bike and desk, etc. ? Would they be able to pack something that big and it still being cost efficient?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:30 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I was speaking only about your computers. Ship the rest by a land carrier in a box. If your company is providing repo $ then go to the amount they specify. I would option sending it land carrier or putting a small trailer on my vehicle and driving. Depends on your situation really.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I was speaking only about your computers. Ship the rest by a land carrier in a box. If your company is providing repo $ then go to the amount they specify. I would option sending it land carrier or putting a small trailer on my vehicle and driving. Depends on your situation really.
I'm not going to be driving, so a trailer is not an option unfortunately. Is bringing a computer with me on a domestic flight going to be an issue?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digress View Post
I'm not going to be driving, so a trailer is not an option unfortunately. Is bringing a computer with me on a domestic flight going to be an issue?
Only for the logistics of it. It's too large to be a carry-on (I'm assuming). And I would absolutely not trust the baggage handlers with a computer. Have you ever watched them load luggage onto a plane? They think they have a truckload of footballs! I agree with the notion to back up everything, possibly carry your hard-drives with you, and send the rest of the computer-y stuff by something like FedEx.

The desk and bicycle - how much are they worth to you? Will it cost more to ship them than to replace them at the other end?

Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Only for the logistics of it. It's too large to be a carry-on (I'm assuming). And I would absolutely not trust the baggage handlers with a computer. Have you ever watched them load luggage onto a plane? They think they have a truckload of footballs! I agree with the notion to back up everything, possibly carry your hard-drives with you, and send the rest of the computer-y stuff by something like FedEx.

The desk and bicycle - how much are they worth to you? Will it cost more to ship them than to replace them at the other end?
The bike is worth $1200
The desk is only worth $170
And right as I was reading
Quote:
"Have you ever watched them load luggage onto a plane?"
My girlfriend said something similar. So I guess you're right.

I was thinking of taking the hard drives with me in my luggage/carryon, and shipping the PC (and other computery stuff) along with the bike, desk, and everything else. in the Ubox I was reading up on transporting the Bike through UPS or Fedex as well, and apparently it shouldn't cost more than $100?

Shipping a bicycle UPS or FEDEX?

I am not sure if that is entirely correct though considering I am literally moving across the country.

Should I consider getting some fixed rate boxes for some other things like clothes, PC, and misc. stuff?

Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Can you replace the desk? It's probably pretty heavy, and you can find another either on Craigslist list or at a thrift store. And start getting rid of your "miscellaneous junk." If it's replaceable, don't ship it.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Can you replace the desk? It's probably pretty heavy, and you can find another either on Craigslist list or at a thrift store. And start getting rid of your "miscellaneous junk." If it's replaceable, don't ship it.
Yea we just looked into getting the same desk in the area, it is only 160 bucks to get there as well, so we're gonna just get another one.

Regarding the misc junk; it's mostly sentimental stuff that I cannot get rid of, but it's not a large amount either. Posters, letters, trinket boxes, dvds, electronic cables and parts. Nothing that should be over 100 lbs for sure. not even 75 i'd say.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
get rid of the desk. ship all dvds/books/cds media mail. ship the computer whole, don't pull the hdd's out of their carriage, safer if screwed in. you could just ship the bike frame or do a tear down of it. get rid of the xbox gen one, do you really need to play the original halo that bad? I would sell the monitors and get new ones, they are a dime a dozen and the most prone to get damaged in shipping. scan the post cards and printed images, you seem like you have a raid system or something to back them up...
why do you need two computer towers? start using VM's or something. sounds like a good idea to do some spring cleaning. have a craigslist moving sale.

you can ship all that stuff way cheaper than getting a pod.
fedex is generally cheaper for heavier stuff.
post office for the clothes.

Last edited by grapico; 03-10-2014 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: