Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:32 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times

Advertisements

[quote=hitman619;33937475]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Also to add,people are always giving away free stuff on craigslist
This is true, but it goes fast. People cruise around and check their phones for the latest Craigslist and Freecycle giveaways. I found this out when I was getting rid of items for moving (and still am!). The same people would respond to both posting. A lot of people are just looking for free stuff to resell.

I discovered that it was easier for me to just donate my unwanted items to Salvation Army, rather than deal with people that wanted items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 05:36 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
[quote=moved;33937973]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post

This is true, but it goes fast. People cruise around and check their phones for the latest Craigslist and Freecycle giveaways. I found this out when I was getting rid of items for moving (and still am!). The same people would respond to both posting. A lot of people are just looking for free stuff to resell.

I discovered that it was easier for me to just donate my unwanted items to Salvation Army, rather than deal with people that wanted items.
Hint: Put your stuff outside, Put it on craigslist, do not include any contact info in your ad, and take it down when you notice it's gone. Someone will always take it super-quick and you don't have to deal with anyone.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 PM

There was no way to put my stuff outside where I used to live. I found it was easier for me to just to load up my van, and donate my stuff the next time I went by a Salvation Army store. Six months later I'm STILL donating stuff.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
There was no way to put my stuff outside where I used to live. I found it was easier for me to just to load up my van, and donate my stuff the next time I went by a Salvation Army store. Six months later I'm STILL donating stuff.
Ah, gotcha. I was just excited to share because I finally figured out that you can include no way to contact you AT ALL and not have to deal with people bugging you about stuff all day

Of course, if I put something in the alley out back it pretty much disappears within a couple of hours whether I post it on CL or not.

(Done hijacking! Sorry OP!)

Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
[quote=Jenkay;33938763]
Quote:

Hint: Put your stuff outside, Put it on craigslist, do not include any contact info in your ad, and take it down when you notice it's gone. Someone will always take it super-quick and you don't have to deal with anyone.
Good advice Jenkay
I have some old night stands I don't want I may try that.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 AM

4 posts, read 4,690 times
Thank you so much for all the info! If I decide to go through with the relocation, I'll get back in touch with potential addresses. Again, thank you everybody!

Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 4,690 times
As a follow up, I already checked into some potential places to live. I found "Island Village Apartments", 1245 Market Street. According to Google maps, the 20 bus, 120 bus and Green Line are all within walking distance and would bring me straight to Fashion Valley Mall without having to transfer. Any opinions of how feasible this is? What about the area, is it safe? Grocery stores, bars, restaurants nearby? As always, thanks for the effort in trying to help me!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:33 AM

Island Village apartments are income subsidized, not very nice, and there are much nicer places to live. If you really want to live those apartments, there's an Albertson's one block away. To catch those busses, you would have to take a trolley downtown, and to catch the Green line, you would have to walk or take a trolley to 12th & Imperial. I lived at 14th & Market before the East Village was built up, and it's really changed now.

Here's what the ad says, and also make sure and check their "glowing" reviews out on Yelp. I also left their misspellings in.

Island Village Affordable Housing with Income Restrictions
1245 Market Street San Diego California 92101

Description

Island Village is an affordable income restricted community ($15-$33k annually) with security and is a newer constructed downtown apartment building in downtown San Diego. We offer *single occupancy studio apartments (*one adult only) with modern amenities such as; A/C, full baths, kitchenettes, microwave, built-in PC Desk, garbage disposal, *furnished twin beds upon request, cable ready, and balconies in select units. Gated underground parking and utilities are also included free of charge. Our community boasts wonderul features that include a clubhouse with free WiFi, large recreation room, gourmet kitchen, onsite laundry facilities, disability access, and an outdoor community lounge area. We also have the added luxury to be linked directly adjacent to the bus & trolley lines, shopping, dining, walking distance to local grocery stores, Gaslamp Quarter, Petco Park, and freeways 5, 94 & 163. All housing vouchers are welcome! Sorry we DO NOT RENT TO F/T STUDENTS or MILITARY!!
[/i][/b]

If you lived in Normal Heights or North Park, the #6 bus goes directly to Fashion Valley from 30th & El Cajon, the neighborhoods are much nicer, and there is a grocery store within walking distance.

Last edited by moved; 03-21-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Island Village apartments are income subsidized, not very nice, and there are much nicer places to live. If you really want to live those apartments, there's an Albertson's one block away. To catch those busses, you would have to take a trolley downtown, and to catch the Green line, you would have to walk or take a trolley to 12th & Imperial. I lived at 14th & Market before the East Village was built up, and it's really changed now.

If you lived in Normal Heights or North Park, the #6 bus goes directly to Fashion Valley from 30th & El Cajon, and the neighborhoods are much nicer, and there is a grocery store within walking distance.
Yup. I was just going to suggest North Park/Normal Heights.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Yup. I was just going to suggest North Park/Normal Heights.
Yep, much nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego