Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 01:04 PM

434 posts, read 984,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Nor me. Where are you guys going, to get so many ticks like that? Cross-country? Chasing dogs? Let us know, so we can avoid it!
Bushwacking? I wondered the same thing.

I'll chime in for Double Peak in San Marcos, my neigborhood trail. Not this year, but if we get enough rain, the ceanothus can really bloom in February-March. So much so, the purple-blue mass is visible from down the hill. There are some neat narrow side trails that provide decent shade thanks to the chaparral. And then you run into a part here or there with overhead cover where you can imagine being up in the foothills or low mountain areas, especially when there's some spring lushness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:41 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,154,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Encinitan mentioned Torrey Pines. I'd consider that novice-friendly.

You can even take an easy walk/hike through the trails of Balboa Park.
I liked Balboa Park when I visited, but found it difficult to find the trail system. Part of that was my fault. I was on vacation and walking it without a map...just figured I would find the trails. The many museums are great and I was able to visit one, but make it a little difficult to just take a walk. It is still a jewel of a park.

I have also enjoyed Torrey Pines near La Jolla and especially beautiful Cabrillo Monument at the city's southwest corner with its sweeping panoramic views. Also enjoyable was a trail on Shelter Island, but it is a relatively short trail and also has nice views.

Last edited by chessgeek; 04-07-2014 at 04:08 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 03:54 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,004,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I finally read through this thread. I'm settling in now and want to start finding the hiking spots that are nearby. Today I think I am going to try Torry Pines. Question: it is hard to get a feel for these places online in terms of how remote/how crowded. If I am hiking alone which places do I need to be most concerned or just plain avoid if I dont have a friend with me? Which places might mountain lions also be a concern? Sorry I am typing from my phone so having a hard time thanks!
I hike alone everywhere. I'm a female, and not a particularily imposing one. I did just recently buy some pepper spray to add to the other stuff I keep in my day-pack (super-basic first-aid, a signal mirror, baby wipes, matches, space blanket, a flashlight), but it wasn't because I've ever felt unsafe at all- more that I'd sort of been intending to get some for a while (but feel safe enough that it was never a priority) and ran into a lady selling it at the swap meet for cheap

Mountain lions should really never be enough of a concern to keep you off the trails, nor should rattlesnakes. Mountain lions live here in the county, but sightings and encounters are very rare. Generally speaking they want to avoid you as much as you want to avoid them. Rattlesnakes you're bound to run into at some point, but just be aware and leave 'em be and you'll be fine. Bites are *extremely* rare. You'll also see coyotes- they won't mess with you, either.

There's lots of cute, fluffy, and pretty animals to see as well. Deer, bobcats (they're small and non-threatening, and really beautiful), bunnies (especially in the evenings this time of year. I saw probably 20 at Iron Mountain last week), squirrels, lizards, turkey vultures, red-tailed hawks- I even saw a bald eagle years ago on Mt. Palomar!

So have at it- and ENJOY!

Last edited by Jenkay; 04-07-2014 at 04:12 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Nor me. Where are you guys going, to get so many ticks like that? Cross-country? Chasing dogs? Let us know, so we can avoid it!
On the PCT like hundreds of others. You can feel the castings when you cross them, like tiny spider webs (which it is). Most people don't notice they have them on themselves because typically ticks don't like people and will just move to the highest point on you and make another casting to snag something else walking by or bushes.

Ticks don't prefer people, they like furry critters. People make good taxis though. It probably has to do with how close the tick is to end of life and how desperate they will become for a blood meal.

Kind of like the IRS

Old 04-07-2014, 09:14 PM

7,344 posts, read 12,569,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We did a tick check after part of the PCT this weekend. 3!! total but none dug in. I HATE TICKS.
MTP yesterday (Sunday), and we came home with 2 ticks! Not on the dog, on me!!! I am not a freaker-outer, but that freaked me out! They were on my upper body, too, and not my legs. We figured out that I probably "collected" them when I took a picture under a tree. Fortunately they hadn't dug in yet, either, but I've been phantom-itching all day...all my clothes went into the washer...I HATE TICKS, too...

Otherwise the hike was wonderful--we went down the Grasslands Trail all the way to the river and back. Hummingbird nests along the river. And a ways up the Mission Dam Overlook trail there is the coolest thing, a grinding stone dating back to the Kumeyaay Indians. You can see where the women ground the grass seeds generation after generation, and since the landscape hasn't changed much since then, except for a few towers and I-52 , and the same grasses still grow there, it is very easy to imagine tribal summer living on the grasslands and along the river for thousands of years on that exact spot, with a view all the way to Cuyamacha. It was quite a feeling. Great place to take your kids and tell them stories while they still care to listen to you ...maybe buy a book about the Kumeyaay and/or the missionaries at the Visitors' Center and bring it to the spot, and other historic areas in the park.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
MTP yesterday (Sunday), and we came home with 2 ticks! Not on the dog, on me!!! I am not a freaker-outer, but that freaked me out! They were on my upper body, too, and not my legs. We figured out that I probably "collected" them when I took a picture under a tree. Fortunately they hadn't dug in yet, either, but I've been phantom-itching all day...all my clothes went into the washer...I HATE TICKS, too...

Otherwise the hike was wonderful--we went down the Grasslands Trail all the way to the river and back. Hummingbird nests along the river. And a ways up the Mission Dam Overlook trail there is the coolest thing, a grinding stone dating back to the Kumeyaay Indians. You can see where the women ground the grass seeds generation after generation, and since the landscape hasn't changed much since then, except for a few towers and I-52 , and the same grasses still grow there, it is very easy to imagine tribal summer living on the grasslands and along the river for thousands of years on that exact spot, with a view all the way to Cuyamacha. It was quite a feeling. Great place to take your kids and tell them stories while they still care to listen to you ...maybe buy a book about the Kumeyaay and/or the missionaries at the Visitors' Center and bring it to the spot, and other historic areas in the park.
Chances are if you didn't notice those nothing would have happened, except maybe, on your pets but ticks are ticks. I'm glad for you for the day though. Nice. I've seen that grindstone, it's awesome. All of that makes one feel pretty small.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,486,342 times
The months of August and September usually were too hot for me for the inland hikes, unless I could be in shade, i.e. Palomar Mt. I once tried to hike to the waterfall near Julian (Boulder Creek?) in high heat and nearly didn't make it so do not recommend that. It's much nicer in the spring!

I don't know why I always got ticks on me, my husband would get one occasionally. They can be picked up by walking through tall grasses by getting on your clothes and then crawling on your skin. I once had one drop from an oak tree onto the part of my hair! Always do a tick check before you return home but even then you may carry some of the nasties with you. Most ticks in So Cal are of the brown dog tick variety, gross but harmless but there are some deer ticks, which transmit Lyme Disease. These ticks are smaller, with a hard, blackish-brown shell. I only picked up 2 of these. Watch for a red ring around the bite area a few days after removal.

I know that ppl are apprehensive about rattlesnakes. I came upon many of them but had no problems. They are are most active in spring, and the babies have the most lethal bite. Do not put your hands or sit on rocky areas or random woodpiles, fallen trees. Rattlers & other snakes like to warm up by stretching out in open spaces, often in the middle of a trail, so if you stand far back and stamp your feet, the will sense your vibrations and crawl away. Keep your children and pets close. My little Pomeranian was very curious about a large Pacific rattler in my friend's backyard. the snake was coiled and ready to strike and then just stopped..my dog was so lucky!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 PM

55 posts, read 86,150 times
UT article: 10 best hikes in San Diego County

Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,004,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVieQ View Post
1) Torrey Pines is nice, I love the views from there. You can't get more than a couple of miles in unless you either loop around the trails a couple of times or take to the beach (at low tide) for a couple miles then head back up into the preserve.

2) Penasquitos canyon is also nice, a super-mellow trail that's quite pretty and woodsy along the stream. Also a really easy walk, but you can make it a long one if you go all the way from one end to the other and back.

3) Cowles- the Golfcrest trail mentioned in the article is so crowded as to be completely unenjoyable, unless you like being jostled, run over by trail runners (on the busiest trail in the county- yeah, I don't get it either) or subjected to inconsiderate people blasting music from their iphones. And it's like that ALL THE TIME. Every single other trail in the park is better than Cowles, and you can get the exact same workout without all the people by starting on the fire road Barker Way and turning left onto the barker way trail about 1/4 mile in.

4) Iron Mountain is a favorite of mine for after work and on my off Fridays, but it can also be really crowded on the weekends. Not as crowded at Cowles, but it can be pretty busy.

5) Cuyamaca is awesome. The whole area. The Conejo trail mentioned in the article is one of my all-time favorites of all the trails in the county. The views from Cuyamaca peak are incredible on a clear day.

6) I do love Mt Woodson. It's a fairly strenuous hike, and another one that's great after work when there's enough light or on a weekday off, but the crowds around potato chip rock and the trash and crap they leave can be offputting on the weekends. If you hit it at 6am (which is a good idea anyhow if it's the least bit warm) you can beat most of the crowds, because the hike itself is a great one.

7) Cedar Creek is OK. I haven't been there in years, but it used to be a place where people would hike in to drink beers and do dumb things on the rocks. If that's not your speed the Afoot and Afield book has suggestions to other waterfall/swimming hole hikes that are a little more mellow.

8) Oak Canyon trail is fabulous when there's water in the creek. When there's not, it's still a nice trail, but without the fun of the waterfalls It's a good level-ish one and the only one in Mission Trails that really offers any shade. The huge old oak trees along the creek are pretty spectacular.

9) Double Peak was way too urban for me, there's tons of other places you can go for a comparable hike without feeling like you're in the middle of a neighborhood. It's fine if you live right there, but if it's someplace you have to travel to I'd really give it a pass. Black Mountain would be a good alternative.

10) Haven't done Three sisters in a decade. It's worth it if we've had enough rain for the falls to be going, but it's a rough hike with no reward otherwise. I certainly wouldn't bother with it this year.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVieQ View Post
Wow, they make you subscribe now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego