Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 04:14 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,730,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Although not a fan of Opera, it is sad in a way.

The San Diego Symphony on the other hand seem to be doing a great job catering to younger and hipper audiences, their outdoor concert series are hits and Christmas functions are very well attended.
The San Diego Symphony has significant financial support from the Jacobs family, so they will likely be around for a couple more generations at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 04:52 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,004,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowingInCA View Post
Every generation has their counterculture movement. Also these are two different things. I probably would go to an opera or symphony once a year, but might meet friends for a drink at a bar that just happens to have a basement with a punk band playing there maybe twice a month. I don't care about the band either, I am just there because friends are there and we are having a good time.

The local venues rely on revenue from ticket sales and alcohol. These large Opera/Symphony productions rely on ticket sales but mostly fundraising from wealth families, trusts, etc. Without the fundraising, these productions would have been gone long ago. If there were more wealthy individuals/cultural non-profits in SD they might have an easier time fundraising and keeping the operation going.
I see punk/alternative/art bands probably 10 times a year, jazz bands probably 8-9 times a year, a play probably 4-6 times a year, and an opera/ballet/symphony maybe 1-3 times a year (weirdly enough, I hardly ever go to movies). Part of the reason is that the Opera tends to be pricey. You can see a ballet/play/symphony performance for < $40, but the opera is at *least* twice that amount- for the 10 cheap seats that sell out immediately. I've gone to a couple of the operas that they broadcast live in the movie theaters for a fraction of the price of a live opera. It's not the same experience, but hey, I'm a civil servant, and even though I like getting my cultcha on the opera was often out of range of my entertainment budget

Old 03-23-2014, 04:59 PM

6,883 posts, read 8,860,936 times
^ impressively active with much time

Old 03-23-2014, 09:26 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,004,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
^ impressively active with much time
No kids, no live-in boyfriend, and no TV. what else am I gonna do with myself?

Old 03-25-2014, 04:20 PM

812 posts, read 4,067,416 times
For better or for worse, the "social contract" that has existed for the past fifty years or more is that ticket sales don't cover all of the expenses of the opera, symphony, ballet, what have you, and that well-heeled individuals cover the rest through donations, endowments, etc. That basic setup has kept a lot of the arts afloat for most of the twentieth century. Noblesse oblige.

Now, due to the economy, changing tastes, lack of interest, selfishness, or whatever you prefer, the class of would-be donors is either unwilling or unable to perform to the level required to sustain this. Because of this, the only choices are 1) fold, or 2) cut quality to save money to the point where you can break even again. I was listening to the executive director on KPBS over lunch late last week, and he said that the latter option was not in the interest of the board of directors. Since they know they have secured funding only through this season, they must call it their last and begin the wind-down process, lest they risk bankruptcy and a season cut short next year. From their perspective, it was the honorable thing to do to end on a high, with a fully turned-out season.

For the record, I tend to be of the opinion that these sorts of things are what set a first-rate city apart from the second-tier, so I believe we are worse for it. However, easy for me to say... I like opera.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:27 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,568,241 times
I read about this yesterday. Very sad.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:53 AM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/827/5...n-diego-opera/

Old 03-26-2014, 03:10 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,051,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Both are beyond boring. I'd rather be home sick than attend some excruciatingly dull dancing in tights, or overwrought vocals in languages I don't understand, in "plays" I care nothing about. The few times I did attend when on school outings or with elders -- I saw many audience members sleeping, others who bolted from their seats as if in an Olympic sprint once the whole dreadful thing was over. What a waste of time.

Plainly hundreds of millions of Americans think the same, as these stodgy "companies" are going bankrupt across the country. Snorefest entertainment from an era long since gone, an era of fake platitudes and fake puritanical modesty that thankfully is never coming back.
Actually, Ballet had eras that were considered scandalous by cultural norms at that time. And opera and ballet were actually expressive relative to certain time periods-they were a way to see the world that allowed for expression beyond cultural norms and conventions at that time. From the subject matter [everything from fantasy to suicide, political satire, romantic love (at times when relationships were strictly utilitarian) to collaboration with artists and musicians that were considered renegade at the time, both of these fine arts are not puritanical at all, actually! I'm not even sure how you could consider them to be today, either. Their subject matter is presented in a more subtle, refined manner at times, but the performances themselves are not really characterized by any kind of puritanical belief about the body or its expression. The 'hard work' ethic of puritanism may be seen in them, however; they require quite a lot of practice in order to master them.
Giuseppe Verde was very irreverent and funny about the whole 'image' and protocol of opera for example.

“One day I’m going to make the world do her (La Traviata) honour. But not a Naples where your priests would be terrified of seeing on stage the sort of things they do themselves at night on the quiet.”
http://www.altnyc.org/contemporary-o...ein-and-glass/

Though, people sleeping through them is not new. These arts were also used to keep the social hierarchy and class system in place, no different than today's 'getting front row seats at a pro sports event', presidential inauguration or other televised/celebrity oriented setting. 'To see and be seen' and show one's influence and relative power/status was as much a part of dance and opera as it is in today's world of fame, wealth and the elite-from silicon valley to hollywood to D.C. that doesn't mean they were interesting events to everyone attending them. The same was we see people at Wimbledon or other iconic events-sleeping, chatting, play on their phone rather than watching the game.

You'd be amazed [or perhaps you'd be bored having to research something beyond your own personal interests???] at at the influence both ballet and opera have had on society=from the french revolution and subsequent shift to dance as a escape/entertainment of the proletariat/masses of the industrial era to the breakdown of class, race and economic segregation. These are not, I assure you, stodgy arts at all. Full of scandal, drama and high entertainment that reality shows only wish they could emulate!

They are very much relevant to the current world, even if audiences are not as interested. Just go to Italy where everyone knows the words of an opera by heart-b/c it is history and national interest/contribution. Yea, in the US, we seem to remember commercial jingles from 30 years ago, but make ignorant statements about the fine/high arts, based on, well...nothing! No facts to back up your statement. Fake platitudes? What fake platitudes were they based on?
Also, international intrigue and global competition created new forms of ballet as sport/pushing the physical body through technique, but also as a way for one country to invest in the arts and develop a prestigious reputation-just as the USA does today in hosting the 'brain drain' from many other countries, to attend one of the many esteemed higher learning institutions, practice art, teach, etc. It's a form of cultural competition and 'out' sourcing that actually boosts the economic and political stature of the host country. Yes, ballet and the fine arts are (and always were) used for socioeconomic and political tools, and as a way to fund investment and wealth. Definitely not irrelevant, then or now.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-26-2014 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
For better or for worse, the "social contract" that has existed for the past fifty years or more is that ticket sales don't cover all of the expenses of the opera, symphony, ballet, what have you, and that well-heeled individuals cover the rest through donations, endowments, etc. That basic setup has kept a lot of the arts afloat for most of the twentieth century. Noblesse oblige.

Now, due to the economy, changing tastes, lack of interest, selfishness, or whatever you prefer, the class of would-be donors is either unwilling or unable to perform to the level required to sustain this. Because of this, the only choices are 1) fold, or 2) cut quality to save money to the point where you can break even again. I was listening to the executive director on KPBS over lunch late last week, and he said that the latter option was not in the interest of the board of directors. Since they know they have secured funding only through this season, they must call it their last and begin the wind-down process, lest they risk bankruptcy and a season cut short next year. From their perspective, it was the honorable thing to do to end on a high, with a fully turned-out season.

For the record, I tend to be of the opinion that these sorts of things are what set a first-rate city apart from the second-tier, so I believe we are worse for it. However, easy for me to say... I like opera.
Or maybe there's just too much else to do in SD! LOL. I mean, long, cold winters have a built in audience.
Myself, I have always found SD ridiculously $$$ for the level of arts that is offered city wide. My .02. I understand it costs to maintain.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:17 PM

Petition to save the opera, for anyone interested:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/827/5...n-diego-opera/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego