Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:55 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Unfortunately, good food and view are mutually exclusive and while agree good food trumps view personally, sometimes, for business meals, view trumps food. I would try Marine Room.

Reg. Bullsh*t Taco, when it's good, it's good. I may have heard they were updating the one in Cardiff, but not sure?

Reg. Denver, a great sushi place is Sushi Sasa. Actually, best I had ever (though only one visit). Also good was a fusion place with zen in its name I believe, but not sure?

Reg. SD downtown, agree. Bice seemed good. Otherwise stick with lower brow - Burger Lounge and Berkley (deep dissh) Pizza which are very good.
SD Downtown: Cafe 21 and Cafe Chloe are both wonderful, two of my favorite places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Unfortunately, good food and view are mutually exclusive and while agree good food trumps view personally, sometimes, for business meals, view trumps food. I would try Marine Room.
Yes, I understand. I recall my first date with the SO in Denver. He wanted to wow me. The place was in the nearby mountains, rave reviews, beautiful inside & out, service was spectacular, food... well, I've had far better food at Cracker Barrel. A year later, he asked if I'd like to return for our anniversary. I sheepishly told him I'd only said it was great so as not to make him feel that the $$$ he dropped wasn't wasted & asked if we could go somewhere, anywhere else. He took a deep breath & told me he was glad, because his food was horrid, but because I raved about it (out of politeness) he thought I'd like to return.

I don't understand how such beautiful places, which charge so much $$, can hire such mediocre chefs... or is it the food calibre that's low? Or, just an off night? Maybe Caligula or OpenD will come in & set me straight.

Quote:
Reg. Bullsh*t Taco, when it's good, it's good. I may have heard they were updating the one in Cardiff, but not sure?
Their website shows that the Carlsbad location is very nice. I'll keep it in mind, but we're just not in the Mexican food mood. We've decided to eat most meals out, so we can just stay out of doors, because we all have just a few short days together. Not all the places need to be fancy, it's just that my b'day falls in the middle, so I wanted a place with decent food for at least 1 dinner. And, although I prefer to dress to the nines, no one else will have very dressy clothing with them, so dress code opens up more choices. I'll check into Marine Rm, as you & a couple others suggested.

Quote:
Reg. Denver, a great sushi place is Sushi Sasa. Actually, best I had ever (though only one visit). Also good was a fusion place with zen in its name I believe, but not sure?
I'm sure Denver has some lovely places, but even the high end places we visited (& we went to a lot before we gave up after a very nasty bout of food poisoning) had mediocre if not terrible food. With a fish allergy, I'm also limited in menu. Too bad, because I love fish.

Quote:
Reg. SD downtown, agree. Bice seemed good. Otherwise stick with lower brow - Burger Lounge and Berkley (deep dissh) Pizza which are very good.
I wished I'd asked while living there... I used to live catty corner to Bice, but never went... seems I ate everywhere else though. The best burger/fries I had were at Proper Gastropub (oh, dear... I see it's closed now), next door to Petco Pk. The absolute worst was at Tin Fish... I've since learned, if ya want an edible burger, don't go to a fish joint. Sadly, we visited a handful of duds in Little IT, too... further disappointing when lunch is $80.

I'll be overjoyed if I find a nice place in Encinitas/Carlsbad/Solana area (or as Jen calls it, the North Beaches... haha), so I can find a regular go-to place.

Cheers again for your help, Bloom.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:54 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
SD Downtown: Cafe 21 and Cafe Chloe are both wonderful, two of my favorite places.
Both of those look great, especially Chloe's brunch & 21's dinner menus. I'll keep them in mind for future downtown visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego