Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The results speak for themselves. Let me know when Dallas has a lower violent crime rate/gun crime rate than San Diego. Our laws work. While Dallas is a veritable craphole of violent crime. No, thank you. I don't feel the need to import your failed policies.
What about Baltimore and DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
They have problems which are uniquely their own much of it due to demographics and local culture (as well as laws which go far beyond simple gun laws). We are safe, happy, and our current laws work well. I see no reason to change them in our location. I am happy living in the safest large city in America. Further more the people of this fair burg have already spoken which is the reason we have such laws to begin with.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Point is moot since states like Maryland is the 4th most violent state and it is a may issue state much like CA.
Again, California is not a may issue state. The state has decided to defer all such decisions to the county level. San Diego is a may issue county and all counties bordering us (and truthfully, most in the state) are may issue counties so we have a good grasp on who is running around with guns stuff in their shorts. There are some shall issue counties, there are some may issue counties, and there is even one shall not issue county. They do allow, in San Diego, people to get concealed carry permits provided they can show a demonstrated need, good character, a clean criminal background, and a knowledge of gun laws so that we do not have every yahoo running around with a gun in their trousers. Those people who can reach the legal standard can and do get concealed carry permits. It is a system which works very well while still keeping concealed carry permits out of the hands of clueless idiots who pose a very real threat to public safety. I like it.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:18 PM

66 posts, read 102,745 times
Quote:
We don't want people carrying guns around here. If you don't like it move some where else, tough guy.
A) please don't fancy yourself as speaking for the city of san diego. I don't know the average stats but I know the Marines in your city favour concealed carry 90/10 or better, and I know the demographics are close to 50/50.

B) I refuse to reduce myself to personal attacks, responding to "tough guy" claim. I can only state that if you knew me personally IRL you'd apologize to me if you had any decency, which I doubt.

I'm not going to get into a gun control debate, as far as I'm concerned the city of Chicago crime rate settled that issue for the well-read/intelligent/literate.

I asked a simple question which I later got in the evening from a local attorney who assured me that for now, the local politicans and their families concealed carry as well as their body guards, but the normal "peasants" cannot protect themselves...and can't for the foreseeable future. That's all I need to know as a man who refuses to be a "victim."

Best of luck to you think4yourself, and know that despite your best efforts, you didnt' bum me out, or hurt my feelings. I genuinely hope you die a fast death at the hands of naturals causes, content in your delusions that self-defense is some third-world decades-old ambition. Be well.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 PM

66 posts, read 102,745 times
Quote:
Again, California is not a may issue state. The state has decided to defer all such decisions to the county level. San Diego is a may issue county and all counties bordering us (and truthfully, most in the state) are may issue counties so we have a good grasp on who is running around with guns stuff in their shorts. There are some shall issue counties, there are some may issue counties, and there is even one shall not issue county. They do allow, in San Diego, people to get concealed carry permits provided they can show a demonstrated need, good character, a clean criminal background, and a knowledge of gun laws so that we do not have every yahoo running around with a gun in their trousers. Those people who can reach the legal standard can and do get concealed carry permits. It is a system which works very well while still keeping concealed carry permits out of the hands of clueless idiots who pose a very real threat to public safety. I like it.
Incorrect. Retired sheriff personal friend of mine w/ 10 years in the SOS special ops, with 20 years as a detective in a homicide unit who (quoted from a national newspaper who I won't source) "Has gangsters out of parole who have been throwing darts at his face on the dart board in prison for a decade" was denied a CCW permit. Why? No "good cause." realistically why? He topped out at 120K a year, not enough to donate to the sheriff's campaign.

I refuse to get drawn in to your games, I just thought I'd educate you on this local matter. U can get the last word in. I learned all that I need.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyvip View Post
A) please don't fancy yourself as speaking for the city of san diego.
But I don't. I speak of the historical election results, son, which is why our current laws are exactly as they are. Please bare that in mind in the future instead of running off on flights of fancy.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. Retired sheriff personal friend of mine w/ 10 years in the SOS special ops, with 20 years as a detective in a homicide unit who (quoted from a national newspaper who I won't source) "Has gangsters out of parole who have been throwing darts at his face on the dart board in prison for a decade" was denied a CCW permit. Why? No "good cause." realistically why? He topped out at 120K a year, not enough to donate to the sheriff's campaign.

I refuse to get drawn in to your games, I just thought I'd educate you on this local matter. U can get the last word in. I learned all that I need.
You, sir, are babble nonsense. Does SOS mean secritary of state (of the state of California) or are you badly attempting to talk about the SAS (Special Air Services)? Either way it has zero bearing on the actual laws of the state of California, which does indeed push decisions about concealed carry laws down to the county level, or, other wise, is, as I said, just a babble of nonsense on your part.

I can assure you that the law, at least up until the recent appeals court ruling, did indeed require that any applicate for a conceal carry permit in this county, be required to show cause for such a permit before such a permit would be issued. As I have said, multiple times previously, that is entirely as it should be.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:18 AM

Oh, I think I understand. You're claiming that because your friend could not meet the legal standard that that some how means no one can reach the legal standard. I assure you that is not so as people have indeed met such a standard. BTW your story stinks of complete bolderdash as all peace officers in the state are legally allowed to carry (either concealed or open). Me thinks you are just a liar.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
They have problems which are uniquely their own much of it due to demographics and local culture (as well as laws which go far beyond simple gun laws). We are safe, happy, and our current laws work well. I see no reason to change them in our location. I am happy living in the safest large city in America. Further more the people of this fair burg have already spoken which is the reason we have such laws to begin with.
I'd like to know what you are trying to say in this bit here.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, I think I understand. You're claiming that because your friend could not meet the legal standard that that some how means no one can reach the legal standard. I assure you that is not so as people have indeed met such a standard. BTW your story stinks of complete bolderdash as all peace officers in the state are legally allowed to carry (either concealed or open). Me thinks you are just a liar.
What background do you have that enables you to describe the mindset of a person who does carry one? You sit on the computer spewing stuff you have no understanding of with even backing it up with sources.

In the state of Virginia where I live, acquiring a concealed weapons permit requires most people have to attend a concealed weapons class where they learn that a permit to carry does not make you a cop or Tom Cruise. I fully support the requirement for such classes.

You and many other gun control advocates go off the track when you claim and anyone who legally carries a firearm must be extremely paranoid and fearful. The truth is that we simply prefer to be prepared for whatever life throws at us. I seriously doubt that I will ever have to use my concealed weapon for legitimate self defense as I try to avoid situations that might turn violent. I don't go looking for trouble but if it comes my way I will do my best to survive and I feel I have the tools and skill to do so. If I fail, so be it.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:

None of us on this thread could get a ccw in SD County. We must all be criminals if we cannot pass muster? Hardly.

I'm not willing to become LE just to carry a weapon. I can't wait for the flood gates to open No gang bangers with a criminal record will be able to pass, as it should be.
"Before, we did an extensive background and we still will have to do that, but if the person does not have the justification that we once required and the law now says we can't require them, that is the path we are going to have to take," said sheriff's Cmdr. Michael Barletta.

Even if this ruling is upheld, anyone with a CCW must complete a number of requirements including a background check and take a safety class.

http://www.10news.com/news/huge-incr...n-diego-county

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 04-09-2014 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego