Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,569,318 times

Advertisements

Stupid People this Holiday
Quote:
So far this Memorial Day weekend, there have been no traffic-related deaths on San Diego freeways and county roads, compared with one death reported at this time last year.
The CHP put out statistics for the period from 6 p.n. Friday, May 22 to 6 a.m. Sunday, May 24.
DUI statistics are only for county roads patrolled by the California Highway Patrol and freeways; fatality statistics are for all areas in the county.
There have been 52 DUI arrests in San Diego County, compared with 48 arrests last year at this time.
Statewide, there were 746 arrests during this reporting period, compared with 822 at this time last year; there were nine fatal crashes, compared with 14 last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Labor Day Weekend DUI Arrests Up, Fatalities Down Across California | NBC 7 San Diego

Dumba$$ people Still Drinking and Driving

Old 09-09-2015, 01:15 PM

7,416 posts, read 6,579,347 times
if you are ever stopped and asked if you have been drinking, how do you respond?

There is one school that says deny it completely (though I suspect officers are trained to smell it in your breath) vs. another school that advocates an answer along the lines of I had one drink earlier in the evening during dinner a few hours ago.

Curious if there is a right or wrong answer. Knock on wood, I have never been arrested for a DUI but have been pulled over for speeding with a beer or two (NOT 5 or 6) in me and asked if I had been drinking. In one such case, I made it a point to utter "yes, officer" every other sentence and to have my registration and proof of insurance neatly arranged in my glove compartment and available to show the officer within 2 seconds upon request. I was let go by the female CHP officer with a speeding ticket. I am not endorsing drinking and driving--just curious if there is a "right" response in such a case.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
if you are ever stopped and asked if you have been drinking, how do you respond?

There is one school that says deny it completely (though I suspect officers are trained to smell it in your breath) vs. another school that advocates an answer along the lines of I had one drink earlier in the evening during dinner a few hours ago.

Curious if there is a right or wrong answer. Knock on wood, I have never been arrested for a DUI but have been pulled over for speeding with a beer or two (NOT 5 or 6) in me and asked if I had been drinking. In one such case, I made it a point to utter "yes, officer" every other sentence and to have my registration and proof of insurance neatly arranged in my glove compartment and available to show the officer within 2 seconds upon request. I was let go by the female CHP officer with a speeding ticket. I am not endorsing drinking and driving--just curious if there is a "right" response in such a case.
Its not so much drinking and driving, its the fact that people are getting Drunk or High Outta their A$$, then getting behind the wheel.
My Cousin is a 25 veteran of SDPD. He has mentioned that their has been a huge increase over his 25 years of DUI drivers WAY over the limit not just barley .08.
The other thing he mentioned is that, the increase is mostly Women age 21-35.
He was running one of the check points over the weekend and some chick blew a .2
Him and his fellow officers were questioning how she was even able to turn on the car at .2

Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 PM

50,399 posts, read 47,145,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Its not so much drinking and driving, its the fact that people are getting Drunk or High Outta their A$$, then getting behind the wheel.
My Cousin is a 25 veteran of SDPD. He has mentioned that their has been a huge increase over his 25 years of DUI drivers WAY over the limit not just barley .08.
The other thing he mentioned is that, the increase is mostly Women age 21-35.
He was running one of the check points over the weekend and some chick blew a .2
Him and his fellow officers were questioning how she was even able to turn on the car at .2
I've seen way over .2 Guy should have been dead. .34

Old 09-09-2015, 06:35 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,435,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

I researched this topic before moving out here. What I learned from my research is:

1. You should never cave into roadside tests Ie. Walk a straight line repeat the alphabet backwards... I can't do those sober let alone intoxicated. They exist to give the officer further probable cause to search you or make an assumption that indeed you are under the influence of something. Basically you won't win.

2. Never agree to a search of your car. If the police insist then make sure they are doing it against your will. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. WHY ? You could have something in your car that you didn't know you had. A friend could have dropped something that wasn't yours AND it gives the cops too much freedom. The proper response would be " Officer I don't want to make your job any harder than it is but for privacy reasons I do not agree to a vehicle search. If you do intend to search my car you are doing it against my will. "

2a. At the same moment in time you must ask " Am I being detained or am I free to go ?" The officer MUST respond. If you are being detained then for WHAT ? If there is now what .......then AM I FREE TO GO ? An officer cannot hold you without probable cause...SEE #1.

3. You have no choice but to give urine or blood if they ask you. Better to be done at the station since roadside test can be inaccurate and there is no second chance. More than likely they will threaten you about taking your DL. Better your DL than your freedom. Blood is more accurate than breath tests but for MJ patients a road side breathalyzer for alcohol might be a safer bet. ALTHOUGH I am not sure....ANYBODY ?

4. El Chevere your situation when asked if you have had liquor at all today is a tough question. You want to be honest but then again it is none of their business if you had alcohol "today". What matters is if you are buzzed "now". I would go by the moment..are you buzzed now ?

I hardly drink and I would never get behind the wheel especially on these freeways out here. People who don't drink drive like lunatics and you need to be twice as alert for them. I do use MJ (legal) but I give myself at least 2 1/2 hours before I get on the local streets and 3 hours before I would ever consider getting on a freeway.

I would love to get feedback from more experienced drivers. I am not experienced at all in these matters but I have researched the subject.

Thanks

Last edited by CNYC; 09-09-2015 at 06:45 PM..

Old 09-10-2015, 08:16 AM

20,838 posts, read 17,129,900 times
Here is the deal.

Its arbitrary. If the cop thinks, suspects, just wants to believe you have been drinking you may have committed a crime. Under the law he/she has a right to ask you to take a breathalyzer. If you refuse you will be arrested and your car impounded. If you have been drinking and blow >.08 you will be arrested. The costs associated with a 1st DUI are about $25,000.00. Plus you may lose your job if you have any type of professional license issued by a state. If you have not been drinking and the cop says you have ask to be taken to the nearest emergency room for a blood draw. Be courteous but firm.

As an ER nurse i have zero empathy for people who drink and drive (any alcohol). Wish I could show you what it looks like when the family arrives to the room of their 20 year old child who was injured or worse killed due to the force of collision.... It is appreciably horrifying and to the survivors It is CATASTROPHIC.

If you drink do not drive. DD, Uber, Taxi....anything.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Here is the deal.

Its arbitrary. If the cop thinks, suspects, just wants to believe you have been drinking you may have committed a crime. Under the law he/she has a right to ask you to take a breathalyzer. If you refuse you will be arrested and your car impounded. If you have been drinking and blow >.08 you will be arrested. The costs associated with a 1st DUI are about $25,000.00. Plus you may lose your job if you have any type of professional license issued by a state. If you have not been drinking and the cop says you have ask to be taken to the nearest emergency room for a blood draw. Be courteous but firm.

As an ER nurse i have zero empathy for people who drink and drive (any alcohol). Wish I could show you what it looks like when the family arrives to the room of their 20 year old child who was injured or worse killed due to the force of collision.... It is appreciably horrifying and to the survivors It is CATASTROPHIC.

I experience this with my best Friend coming up on 2 years ago. I admit, i have never wanted to see a man die until i saw the guy that took my best friends 19 year old sons Life

Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,129,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I experience this with my best Friend coming up on 2 years ago. I admit, i have never wanted to see a man die until i saw the guy that took my best friends 19 year old sons Life
Understood.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:12 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,605,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
. . .

What we haven't yet succeeded in doing is the social change so that people consider drunk driving to be a totally douchebag move. In the UK if you fail a sobriety test you WILL lose your license for a minimum of a year. Second offense, three years minimum. Even if you're a rock star or member of parliament. More importantly, your friends will all think you're a complete d*i*c*k for endangering other people' s lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego