Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 05:47 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,790,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well, there are good things about Chula Vista to be sure. And I agree that it is not as bad as its rep suggests. It also has some pretty nice areas with newer homes and a few spots that offer some terrific views of downtown! It also has a decent playhouse which has brought me there a few times years ago (not sure how it is now). However, if I had kids, I would under no circumstances send my kids to public school there no matter how nice my neighborhood and views were. It tends to be more of a drive-thru kind of place as there is little draw to the area.

But National City is another matter altogether as compared to Chula Vista. I am not going there unless it is to buy a car and leave.
I went to school in CV- went on to get my degrees at UCSD in Biochemistry. My best friends all went to great schools and are pretty succesful. A friend just finished her Masters in Nursing at John Hopkins University.

The schools aren't that bad. Also, alot of a student's education has to do with the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 06:23 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times
I went to schools in CV in the early 60s. Graduated from Chula Vista High. One of my classmates went on to run for State Superintendent of Public Instruction and narrowly lost. Another became an icon in San Diego area dramatic productions. (Wish I could say something similar about myself. Haha.)

We had good teachers and caring parents. I agree with rosa surf: a child's success depends a lot more on parents than teachers, although it's helpful to have a positive combination of the two.

BTW, I'm moving back to CV in two weeks after being away for more than 50 years. Will be living in the Tierra del Rey area. Can't wait to reconnect with old friends and places.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Don't forget about AC Slater...er Mario Lopez. He is a product of Chula Visa High.

Mario Lopez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-19-2014, 10:59 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
As a newish resident of Chula Vista I don't really see why it's so feared or loathed. Yeah once you get west of the 805 it gets a little seedy but I don't view it as unsafe at all. I think anyone who views CV as unsafe has never truly been in an unsafe area. Rancho del Rey, Bonita, Eastlake, and Otay Ranch are all very nice in my opinion. Yeah it's all suburban cookie-cutter for the most part but it's a nice area for families. And I think the downtown strip of CV has a cool feel about it.

The whole "Chulajuana" thing is crazy to me. Yeah there's a high population of Hispanics in the area but that =/= unsafe or dangerous. I'm a white dude married to a white woman and our child is white but I don't feel unsafe or out of place. I've never felt like I've been treated differently or anything.

I'm not saying CV is perfect or anything but I don't understand all of the hate. CV is pretty safe, and affordable by Southern California standards. The dining and shopping options are pretty nice and diverse and the schools are good for the most part. If you're a young single guy/gal who wants the city life and fast paced urban life then CV is not for you. If you're a wealthy professional type then CV probably won't suit you. But if you are a middle class family looking for a safe place that you can afford with decent schools then I would recommend CV.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,562,086 times
Chula Vista is a big city and annexed out far enough to have a complete spectrum of modern metropolis from east to west. Chula Vista off the 5 is in no way associated with Chula Vista off the 125. Bayside to Lakeside, you get any kind of neighborhood one could want.

I think the fact that it's not really on the way to anywhere (except for international traffic) makes it more of a localized place to visit. San Diego gets called "America's Cul-de-sac" because it's in the corner of the country. That ignores the fact that there are millions of people on the other side of the border if one takes the view that Mexico is dangerous and off-limits.

One thing is true though, San Diego is the least influenced of America's border cities with Mexico. Or on the flip side, Tijuana might be the most influenced by US-American culture of any of the Mexican border cities. It is definitely not El Paso or Laredo.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:56 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Don't forget about AC Slater...er Mario Lopez. He is a product of Chula Visa High.

Mario Lopez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL I was in a Breakdance crew with his cousin in jr High!
My Sister owns a home in Eastlake and has lived in IB. I spent my jr High years and one year of High
School in Chula Vista.
Two of three of my sister Kids went Chula Vista Schools and have College degrees, the third is a freshman Fresno St.
What OC said is the perfect example of People's Ignorance's About life In Chula Vista. I know Sweetwater Union has had its Controversy recently. But I can tell you what has happened to Sweetwater Union happens in almost every School District. The difference is, they just got caught.

This look at this thread from 6 years ago. Just look at the first six pages and peoples Stupid uneducated Responses about Chula Vista and 4SRanch.
//www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=34438903

If you haven't lived, worked , or visited a Area of San Diego that a poster is asking about, DON'T COMMENT!
I am so tired of the Classism/Racism(yea I said it) that goes in San Diego County as well as this board.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times
I've heard people say that Chula Vista is "ghetto". I never spend much time there myself because I have no reason to. Ive heard National City be called "Nasty City". Santee gets called "Klantee". I'd rather live in Chula Vista than Lakeside or El Cajon, two terrible places with lots of Tweakers.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:55 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
I've said this before. People who use the word "ghetto" about any neighborhood in San Diego have no clue what a "ghetto" is.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Pretty interesting feedback that was done countywide.

Folks that i know that live there really like it, the responses outside of CV were not all too surprising with 6/10 people having a negative perception (as in unsafe.)

What do you guys think?

Survey reveals negative perception of Chula Vista - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego
I have noticed since researching the various area of southern CA that the people on these forums tend to discredit any area that is not majority 'white' population,so keep that in mind!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Posted the wrong thread earlier
Look at the ridiculous responses in this Otay Ranch and 4s Ranch Thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ranch-del.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego