Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM

186 posts, read 247,271 times

Advertisements

inside or in burbs with easy access , can i find 2 BR house for $1500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM

210 posts, read 412,024 times
The answer to your questions is here: craigslist: san diego classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Because Craigslist makes it obvious where the safe parts are?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Because Craigslist makes it obvious where the safe parts are?
No, but it's a start for the OP to see where they can find houses in their price range, get a feel for what areas they'll be able to afford, and then come back and ask a more specific question.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:59 AM

186 posts, read 247,271 times
CL ,have some bad reputation of misleading and fraud ads , so it might be better to ask the locals

Old 04-22-2014, 12:06 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
CL ,have some bad reputation of misleading and fraud ads , so it might be better to ask the locals
Its its too good to be true, then it very likely is. I noticed this recently helping a friend out. eg. photos showing some apartment that looks high end or with beach views and has some low ball number that seems out of line with other apartments in the area. Or totally vague, general information.
It may help to avoid fraudulent posters.

I would suggest any phone number left on a C/L posting, just copy and paste into Google. See what comes up.

It also helps, if you are here in San Diego to simply drive around neighborhoods to look for rental signs in windows or shingles.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:32 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Yes, driving around to look at signs is great suggestion-alot of rentals advertise 'old school style' like this. You might be able to find a small two bedroom cottage/older house in Normal H eights, North Park and University Heights. I'd start by checking those listings. Also check padmapper.com in addition to craig's list. Generally speaking, further away from the main thoroughfares/busy streets is safer/quieter: ie, further from University Ave, El Cajon Blvd, Park Blvd and Adams Avenue. North of Adams Ave. in normal heights is nicer than south [though usually more expensive]. Parts of North Park are hit or miss sometimes block by block, but you can post questions on this forum if you're not sure from looking at the location in person. None of it is really 'the hood', but some parts are kind of semi-hood, subjectively speaking. It depends on what you're comfortable with as far as atmosphere and lifestyle. SD is a safe city in terms of violent crime, it ranks low. Car break ins and/or thefts are more common. The neighborhoods suggested have diverse demographics-hipsters, families, some elderly folks, professionals, homeless, drug addicts-you know, the usual urban vibe, which is also what makes the areas 'hit or miss'. But they are nice areas to live in if you like vibrant, walkable urban and you'll find all the amenities you need for day to day life-groceries, gas, etc. Down the hill in Mission Valley are a couple of malls and shopping galore if you want/need that.

Also, Golden Hill might have options in your price range. Again, parts are nice, others note as nice. The area adjacent to South Park would be good to check out. SP is very nice.

You'll likely want to avoid City Heights, Logan Heights, National City, Imperial Beach, Skyline. There's a recent thread here discussing the merits and improvements of Barrio Logan, so if you see a rental there, you might want to check it out.
Visit the areas at different times of day and get a feel for them.

SD doesn't have as many two bedroom houses, since it's largely newer suburbs with at least 3 bedroom homes. And 1500 is normally for an apt. or condo in most places.
Also, you mentioned 'easy access'-easy access to where/what? SD is a spread out series of suburbs with an urban central area There's no one central point or location that draws people, though. Activities, jobs, etc are spread all over the county. If you want the suburbs for sure, a condo or apt. would be the option with your budget. There are many nice suburbs, such as: Penasquitos, Carmel Valley, Poway, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Bernardo, etc. Good luck.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Its its too good to be true, then it very likely is. I noticed this recently helping a friend out. eg. photos showing some apartment that looks high end or with beach views and has some low ball number that seems out of line with other apartments in the area. Or totally vague, general information.
It may help to avoid fraudulent posters.

I would suggest any phone number left on a C/L posting, just copy and paste into Google. See what comes up.

It also helps, if you are here in San Diego to simply drive around neighborhoods to look for rental signs in windows or shingles.
I have moved to a lot of places, Craigslist is usually more confusing than helpful until you have a good feel for a neighborhood or area. A lot of ads are not specific enough about where they are or where a neighborhood is located or what type of neighborhood it is, that is in addition of course to the scams and other posts that can be very misleading.

Padmapper is better since a map is involved, but even then if you have no context for the area its very hard to know what a safe or nice area is, going by "most expensive" and "least expensive" is about all you can use to make inferences if you don't know the area. Most people are starting with a blank slate, I know I was almost every time I moved, its nearly impossible to decipher all this from Craigslist...and I am good with maps and geography and research. Its too much.

I would find a map of neighborhoods ...maybe something like this: San Diego Neighborhood Map - RossAnthonySD.com

and keep that with you when looking online at ads, as some ads won't even call it by the neighborhood name but some other slang term or acronym, or cross streets (that's the worst...) and you just won't know really without searching long and hard until you finally form a mental map.

Then, take suggestions like lmrsd's for the nice or safe neighborhoods that people recommend, and if you find an ad that seems like a good deal but is not one of those places, do some research on it specifically.

Read through posts on what the bad areas are (or not so great).

you have to be a detective if you are not nearby.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:23 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
No, but it's a start for the OP to see where they can find houses in their price range, get a feel for what areas they'll be able to afford, and then come back and ask a more specific question.
I didnt quote Jenkay, but it was in addition to what she was posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I have moved to a lot of places, Craigslist is usually more confusing than helpful until you have a good feel for a neighborhood or area. A lot of ads are not specific enough about where they are or where a neighborhood is located or what type of neighborhood it is, that is in addition of course to the scams and other posts that can be very misleading.

Padmapper is better since a map is involved, but even then if you have no context for the area its very hard to know what a safe or nice area is, going by "most expensive" and "least expensive" is about all you can use to make inferences if you don't know the area. Most people are starting with a blank slate, I know I was almost every time I moved, its nearly impossible to decipher all this from Craigslist...and I am good with maps and geography and research. Its too much.

I would find a map of neighborhoods ...maybe something like this: San Diego Neighborhood Map - RossAnthonySD.com

and keep that with you when looking online at ads, as some ads won't even call it by the neighborhood name but some other slang term or acronym, or cross streets (that's the worst...) and you just won't know really without searching long and hard until you finally form a mental map.

Then, take suggestions like lmrsd's for the nice or safe neighborhoods that people recommend, and if you find an ad that seems like a good deal but is not one of those places, do some research on it specifically.

Read through posts on what the bad areas are (or not so great).

you have to be a detective if you are not nearby.
I totally agree with you. Its near impossible given the size of San Diego to dissect good/bad. Its just points on a map with 0 reference to anything really.

But definitely start with a price search first, considering they may have no idea about any areas. Then come back to c-d and do a thread search or post back here with a few areas listed.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:47 PM

yeah I'm not really sure what I was responding to, actually, except to say that yes, craigslist is full of scams, but even if you can identify those, its still a can of worms!

It is a good place to get a feel for the range of rents. Then again, I thought I'd easily find a place for $1400 by looking at CL. Not really true in the end considering what I went for! Closer to $2400 lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego