Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 02:51 PM

121 posts, read 336,574 times

Advertisements

It seems like North County San Diego is an amazing place to live if $$$ was not an issue.

If you had the same NET income for living costs in North County San Diego when compared to cities like Las Vegas, Cleveland, and Phoenix, would you make the move to San Diego? When I say living costs, I'm referring to rent, food, gas, and fun money. Gross Income at each city is adjusted so that Net Income is the same after factoring in taxes and retirement savings.

How would your answer change if I provided these details?
- 30 years of age
- $4k Net Monthly Income (after retirement savings, taxes, SDI)
- Renting 1 bedroom / 1 bathroom apartment
- Timeframe for starting family and house purchase is ~4 years out. I am basing everything on one source of income.

Last edited by lyner; 04-26-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 03:08 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I had a nice apartment home in Escondido and then a three bedroom home in Vista....patio yard, tile roof, pink stucco, community pool.......I would pick Cleveland or any place in the east or mid west over San Diego County. It wasn't for me.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:04 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
Cleveland over San Diego? That must be a first

Old 04-26-2014, 08:03 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
COL comparison for SD vs. the cities you mentioned; plug in your income and go...
Cost of Living comparison calculator
And yes, I would do that with your current income; you'll need to budget carefully. And, buying a home would be contingent on your income going up within 4 years. But renting is possible. Also, I would try it out to see how you like living in SD/so cal. As someone else mentioned, it's not for everyone. Also, read through as many threads as possible on this forum [use the search button or google search will sometimes bring up the threads that cannot be found through the CD search button feature]. ie, 'SD vs. Las Vegas', 'Moving from east coast to SD', Phoenix or SD, etc...different combinations of search terms, so you can get a feel for the major differences in lifestyle, atmosphere, culture, mindset, etc.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:53 PM

121 posts, read 336,574 times
Any other opinions?

I feel like I have a good grasp on the hit I'd take on disposable funds given higher housing costs, but for those of you who have "been there, done that" or have seen others make the move, do you have any insight to share?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:03 AM

29 posts, read 66,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
Cleveland over San Diego? That must be a first
Seriously, what is WRONG with some people? I can understand if you don't mind terrible weather and want to live in a cool city such as New York or Boston, but CLEVELAND??? Anyone who chooses Cleveland over San Diego needs to be watched closely, because they're probably belonging to a sleeper cell.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:30 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
The only way to know is to go there and walk around. See which you like ....if you really do want to know. I have moved sight unseen from divergent parts and I got lucky in a couple. The "vibe" is what you want to know. If it matches your own.... go there. =))

Old 04-28-2014, 06:31 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfHearts View Post
Seriously, what is WRONG with some people? I can understand if you don't mind terrible weather and want to live in a cool city such as New York or Boston, but CLEVELAND??? Anyone who chooses Cleveland over San Diego needs to be watched closely, because they're probably belonging to a sleeper cell.
There are good and wonderful people most anywhere you go. Politically correct or awake. Your choice.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
You people slamming Cleveland - how many years had you actually lived there?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
You people slamming Cleveland - how many years had you actually lived there?
I'm not slamming it. I was just pointing out that must have been the first time I've ever heard someone say they would rather live in Cleveland over San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego