Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 AM

191 posts, read 454,092 times

Advertisements

Woke up to a gorgeous sight this morning! Clouds! Fog! Marine layer! I felt like going outside and yelling "IT'S CLOUDY! IT'S CLOUDY!" But then I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it so much since I got up at 6 this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Not sure why everyone is surprised by the heat this month so far - Anyone that's lived in San Diego long enough knows that late August through September are always the hottest time of year. The notion that June/July are the hot months is wrong, as they've always been more moderate months on the temperature scale.
The leader of religious education at my church has been here 50 years and has never seen heat like this before. He was pretty cranky about it, lol. This is unusual weather for here, especially the high humidity. If, as you say, it's like this for 2-3 months every year, then every San Diegan needs AC. 100 degree temps with dew points in the low 70's is too hot to go without any cooling. And I'm not some native weenie or whatever, I've lived in the south and midwest, so I know heat and humidity. This last week was brutal for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:56 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I think more Sept / Oct hottest time.
Surprise is more with the unusal, sustained high humidity, as extreme dryness (santa ana) typically centers on October.
yeah it was like walking around in a hot tub, literally.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:39 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Not sure why everyone is surprised by the heat this month so far - Anyone that's lived in San Diego long enough knows that late August through September are always the hottest time of year. The notion that June/July are the hot months is wrong, as they've always been more moderate months on the temperature scale.
Hah. I'm not actually surprised at all. Ever single year people talk about how the weather we're having (whether hot or cold, dry or rainy) is unlike any other year. We ALWAYS have a week or two when it's too hot/muggy to sleep, and it's usually in Late August/September.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
Woke up to a gorgeous sight this morning! Clouds! Fog! Marine layer! I felt like going outside and yelling "IT'S CLOUDY! IT'S CLOUDY!" But then I'm sure my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it so much since I got up at 6 this morning.

The leader of religious education at my church has been here 50 years and has never seen heat like this before. He was pretty cranky about it, lol. This is unusual weather for here, especially the high humidity. If, as you say, it's like this for 2-3 months every year, then every San Diegan needs AC. 100 degree temps with dew points in the low 70's is too hot to go without any cooling. And I'm not some native weenie or whatever, I've lived in the south and midwest, so I know heat and humidity. This last week was brutal for anyone.
We had the hottest summer on record a couple years ago, where it was 103 and muggy in north park for several days. It's all about perception.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:11 AM

6,497 posts, read 7,525,332 times
I noticed that although the sun was out more this morning in East County, the air felt cooler out there. Now that I am in Mission Valley, the air is not hot, but there is some obvious humididity here and the air is not as refreshing as it was at home.

And according the weather channel the actual temp is 74 F in Lakeside and 78 F in SD which is odd for summer time.

Poway 76 F is cooler than La Jolla 78 F.
Escondido 78 F is currently on par with Oceanside 78 F
....according to weather channel website.

Last edited by malcorub16; 09-18-2014 at 11:23 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 12:07 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
I think this summer has broken records though, that does seem like it places it out of the norm.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:24 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,563,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
We had the hottest summer on record a couple years ago, where it was 103 and muggy in north park for several days. It's all about perception.
1984 was the hottest summer, but overall this year has been the warmest year on record just to this point.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,230 times
It'll be getting worse. The Pacific has already warmed enough here that we're being subject to more and more tropical influences in the summer.
At this rate, in 20 years we'll be having an official Southern CA hurricane season.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:08 AM

191 posts, read 454,092 times
It's still dark, but it appears to be raining in Bonita. I let my big dog out and he came in with wet paws and a wet coat. Our other dog, the little princess dog, refused to go out so I had to pitch him outside myself, and I felt a drizzly rain. But the radar shows nada.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:36 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
It's still dark, but it appears to be raining in Bonita. I let my big dog out and he came in with wet paws and a wet coat. Our other dog, the little princess dog, refused to go out so I had to pitch him outside myself, and I felt a drizzly rain. But the radar shows nada.
It's the marine layer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego