Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:50 PM

25 posts, read 73,562 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Midwest for almost thirty years and have visited California a couple of times. We, my wife and two kids just recently visited San Diego and I loved it. I have been bugging my wife about moving to San Diego and shes probaby tired of it but I feel we are missing out. I know about the cost of living but my question is for those who have moved to San Diego (for whatever reason) from somewhere else and left your family and friends behind. Was it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,155,455 times
Family > any place in my opinion (yes, even San Diego).

Old 05-02-2014, 08:20 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,348,991 times
it really depends how independent you are and how close you are to friends and family. I sometimes get homesick and I am not close anymore with family, friends are grown up and mostly involved with their own families.

I am still attached to home. But I have been living in places away from home for over 10 years. San Diego is the best place for me if I have to be away from home...well even better than home lol...it just doesn't take the place of home.

For some people they will always be attached to their home, its all about how you feel about life and what you can live with some people figure it out and some don't.

The worst part is because SD is expensive its not easy to visit as often as I'd like. If I were rich this problem would easily be solved lol

Old 05-03-2014, 08:15 AM

25 posts, read 73,562 times
Yes having my kids grow up with their cousins is pretty great. But everybody is busy with work and school that we only get together on occasions. When its wintertime (chicago winters- i dont think i need to explain) here I think to myself there's gotta be a better place to raise a family. Then I begin to dream it would be nice to be in SD.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:17 AM

20 posts, read 41,866 times
Keep in mind that living in a place is completely different from visiting it as a tourist.

I'm in the opposite situation. My family is in San Diego. I moved to Colorado because I simply can't afford to live in San Diego. It's hard to be away from family, and there's some things I miss about San Diego, but there's other things I definitely don't miss. I don't miss the horrible traffic, long commutes, the way it's so crowded, and the impossibly high cost of living (it's no fun to live in a place where you can't afford to do fun things). Now I visit my parents every once in a while, and I get the benefits of being a "tourist" while I'm there, without the downfalls of living there permanently.

If you have a good situation where you are now, I would stay and just save up to vacation more often in California. Living there won't be like a permanent vacation. You will be just as busy with school and work in San Diego as you will be anywhere else. In fact, you may be even more busy with work to make up for the higher cost of living.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:47 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,027,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycityrn View Post
I have lived in the Midwest for almost thirty years and have visited California a couple of times. We, my wife and two kids just recently visited San Diego and I loved it. I have been bugging my wife about moving to San Diego and shes probaby tired of it but I feel we are missing out. I know about the cost of living but my question is for those who have moved to San Diego (for whatever reason) from somewhere else and left your family and friends behind. Was it worth it?

It is nice here, and you know it. But only you can really answer that question.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:04 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,155,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
it really depends how independent you are and how close you are to friends and family. I sometimes get homesick and I am not close anymore with family, friends are grown up and mostly involved with their own families.

I am still attached to home. But I have been living in places away from home for over 10 years. San Diego is the best place for me if I have to be away from home...well even better than home lol...it just doesn't take the place of home.

For some people they will always be attached to their home, its all about how you feel about life and what you can live with some people figure it out and some don't.

The worst part is because SD is expensive its not easy to visit as often as I'd like. If I were rich this problem would easily be solved lol
Simple solution. Bring 'em out here. They'll be glad to have come out.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:56 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,914,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I'm lucky. Most of my family lives in San Diego. Being a local is great.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 PM

6,513 posts, read 7,551,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
This is true, very true. But in some situations, such was mine, it is better to get away from family, friends and old acquaintances who may be holding you back from reaching your full potential.

Come out here for a while OP, rent, and see if its for you. Your handle indicates you are an RN, you could surely land a job out here easily.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:48 AM

2 posts, read 10,867 times
And, once you move here, all of your family will find reasons to visit, trust me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego