Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 11:49 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times

Advertisements

So tonight is the "premiere" of the new meteor shower, the Camelopardalids (!). The meteors should peak around 1 am and keep going until dawn, and should be starting already around 11 pm. The predictions are that it could be spectacular, or not! Right now it is cloudy where we are, in East County. Does anyone have better viewing conditions elsewhere in the county? I'm trying to find real-time online info about cloud cover in the Lagunas/Cuyamaca, and it's amazing how hard it is to find. The Mt Laguna observatory website has "cloud base" at 5619.32. MLO Virtual Weather Station Local Weather Conditions

There's a live feed here: Slooh Live Events, but so far I haven't seen a single streak of light.

Has anyone seen anything yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 12:37 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Hi CFF, it was wierd drive from Mission Valley to Lakeside this evening at around 630 to 7pm.

Mission Valley was sunny but with clouds all around. The cloud coverage was heavy once I got into La Mesa/El Cajon at around the Grossmont exit and down the valley was dark.

Good luck seeing anything tonight. It would be great to see this meteor shower from Mt. Helix.

All I see right now are clouds and the pink of the night sky South of my home towards El Cajon.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:12 AM

542 posts, read 692,009 times
Gosh darn it. Weather channel site has Descanso "mostly clear" by 1am, and that's the closest to El Cajon I can find. If I can get confirmation that this meteor shower is something spectacular I might drive out east as far as I can.

Can't believe this. Last week it was like 100 degrees with no clouds in sight.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:39 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
I don't think we're missing much--Twitter has been trending with #meteorshower reports of mostly nothing all over the country, even in areas with clear skies. So I don't think we'll be driving to Descanso tonight, but thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego