Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:47 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times

Advertisements

"With so many unemployed or on public assistance what would the proper response be?"

telling the truth would be a good start....nothing to be embarrassed about and nothing wrong with "I'm in between jobs at the moment"...who knows, you might even run into someone who might be able to assist you, provide connections, or provide guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 05:28 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
It's pretty much an "ice breaker" no matter where you go in many places. A lot of people from around the world identify themselves for what they do for a living. So and So is a lawyer first or doctor or engineer or baseball player or whatever. Fair or not, it's how people identify themselves and how they relate to others. "oh my buddy or sister in-law is a dentist or carpenter or whatever."

Hell even in places like NYC or Los Angeles or Silicon Valley you get the "I'm a writer/actor/startup founder" even if they are doing that part time while working as a waitress or bartender. But it's a conversation starter and if somebody is passionate about what they do or what they want to do, you could go on for years having conversations about it.

SD seems to have a lot of people who are full of themselves and find this line of communication offensive for some reason. I mean back in college the norm was "what are you majoring in" and as you started your career it's more "where did you go to college and what do you do for a living?" And as time goes on you ask how's the job, career, family, kids, etc.

I don't know why there is such a difference, I've never met so many people in my life as I do in SD who "have a home based business" but can't explain it because it's the same as saying "I own an import-export business" without any substance behind it.

There are exceptions. If you live/work around UCSD or Sorrento Valley you'll probably run into most people who are Engineers or scientists. Many other places it's more along the lines of "i moved to San Diego for the weather." I guess if you really moved to SD for the weather and not much else and don't really have any passion about your job or career, you probably won't want to talk about it.

I mean I'm not a scientist, but I've had plenty of long deep conversations with a few in and around the UCSD area. But beyond that, SD isn't exactly a hot bed for people moving here because of their careers. Places like Silicon Valley, LA, NYC, etc are filled with people who do nothing else but live and breathe their careers or possible careers. SD doesn't really have that.
Spot On!
As a long time San Diegan it seems to getting worse.
I will also add that San Diego is one of the worst cities for Nepotisms in the work place.
If you want a good paying job here in San Diego, you better know or be related to Somebody.
I think people that move to San Diego, without a good paying job, find out way too late!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Spot On!
As a long time San Diegan it seems to getting worse.
I will also add that San Diego is one of the worst cities for Nepotisms in the work place.
If you want a good paying job here in San Diego, you better know or be related to Somebody.
I think people that move to San Diego, without a good paying job, find out way too late!

I don't really understand how it's 'nosey' if you ask somebody how they do it. I rarely ever met people who went to school abroad or traveled the world where I grew up back east, but in SD it seems everybody and their brother and sister went to school abroad and have traveled the world. And I don't mean traveled to a hotel and office building, but spent a lot of time doing so without seeming the need to ever work.

I met a women a few months back who said she loved to travel and listed all these various places she visited over the past few years. But she was also a single mother recently divorced and my question was how do you travel the world with young children so often. She took offense and that was the end of the conversation. I have kids and have been a single parent, there is really no such thing as "lets just fly to Fiji this week."

So to me, it is curious how somebody would be able to travel all the time with kids and a job. Because most jobs or entrepreneurs don't exactly have a ton of time off. the US is pretty much known as a place where most people don't take vacations. But in SD it seems many people live the vacation life all the time, whether here or someplace else.

Maybe that's why people take offense to job questions. Because they can't answer that they had a rich ex or are a trust fund person. I mean in the startup space, talk to any founder and they will go on and on about their business. Anybody passionate about what they do will talk about it. It's not a job, it's their life. People who hate their jobs usually don't want to talk about them. But then again, why get upset over it?

Old 05-29-2014, 06:40 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I don't really understand how it's 'nosey' if you ask somebody how they do it. I rarely ever met people who went to school abroad or traveled the world where I grew up back east, but in SD it seems everybody and their brother and sister went to school abroad and have traveled the world. And I don't mean traveled to a hotel and office building, but spent a lot of time doing so without seeming the need to ever work.

I met a women a few months back who said she loved to travel and listed all these various places she visited over the past few years. But she was also a single mother recently divorced and my question was how do you travel the world with young children so often. She took offense and that was the end of the conversation. I have kids and have been a single parent, there is really no such thing as "lets just fly to Fiji this week."

So to me, it is curious how somebody would be able to travel all the time with kids and a job. Because most jobs or entrepreneurs don't exactly have a ton of time off. the US is pretty much known as a place where most people don't take vacations. But in SD it seems many people live the vacation life all the time, whether here or someplace else.

Maybe that's why people take offense to job questions. Because they can't answer that they had a rich ex or are a trust fund person. I mean in the startup space, talk to any founder and they will go on and on about their business. Anybody passionate about what they do will talk about it. It's not a job, it's their life. People who hate their jobs usually don't want to talk about them. But then again, why get upset over it?
Why do people think others have something to hide? Granted, many do, but many don't. I just happen to feel it's none of anyone's business. I really don't care now my neighbors paid for their home or how much or how they afford the cars they drive. I don't care and I don't ask. And I expect the same curtsey. It has nothing to do with hiding something or being ashamed.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:59 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,550,878 times
What does how much one paid for their car have to do with what one does for a living?...I know extremely wealthy people who drive a Prius and plenty of wannabes who drive a leased Mercedes....do you even know or talk with your neighbors ( if so, are 95% of the conversations about the weather?) or is there a moat around your house?
If you have a daughter are you going to tell me you are not curious with whom she goes out with and it's OK for her to date a crystal meth dealer as long as he is taller than 6 feet and has bleached teeth?

Old 05-29-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
What does how much one paid for their car have to do with what one does for a living?...I know extremely wealthy people who drive a Prius and plenty of wannabes who drive a leased Mercedes....do you even know or talk with your neighbors ( if so, are 95% of the conversations about the weather?) or is there a moat around your house?
If you have a daughter are you going to tell me you are not curious with whom she goes out with and it's OK for her to date a crystal meth dealer as long as he is taller than 6 feet and has bleached teeth?
Read my above posts.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:04 PM

6ft tall and bleach teeth? I do believe the thread has gone down hill and off topic quickly.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:14 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
funny, but I have always speculated--with no statistics to back it up--that most lawyers who work, at least downtown, live elsewhere....La Jolla, Del Mar, Coronado, and Pt Loma would be my guess where many live, but as stated above, depends upon where you end up working (and recognize $1-1.5M won't get you that much of a house on the coast...more inland, yes; coast, no...and also depends upon your annual income).
Not sure how SD would be different than anywhere else in this regard. I would imagine that attorneys working in DTLA live in Santa Monica/Brentwood/Holmby Hills. In DT Phoenix, they live in Scottsdale or Paradise Valley. In Houston, they live in River Oaks/Memorials, etc. In DC, probably a number of places in NOVA, In Philly, along the Main Line. Basically, the upscale areas of any metro area.

Quote:
There certainly is a variety and difference amongst professionals be it CPA, doctor, attorney, business owner, sales manager, advertising exec, engineer, investment banker/stockbroker, finance, pharmacist, biotech, brand manager, management consultant, etc, etc..,.I just wish downtown had more of these individuals to go along with people in other fields that live there....I get that you (and I) wouldn't want only engineers, only doctors, etc on my block just as I wouldn't want only food and beverage workers or only military on my block or in my building.
So what percentage of the 30-35,000 people who live downtown do you think work in the food and beverage service and/or military? Half of them? Do you rent or own? Of the people who I know who live downtown (All owners) one is an accountant, an architect, UPS employee, IT guy, real estate agent and couple of business owners. They live in Bayside, M2I, Treo, Fahrenheit, La Vita, Metrome and Park Blvd West.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
This seems to be the mentality of SD natives or those who have lived here a long time.

It makes me wonder how long Elchevere has lived here because the "What do you do" question is an East Coast thing from what I've experienced.

Back in DC, when I first met someone that was the first question I was asked 90% of the time. Since moving to SD I haven't been asked that a single time. It seems like most people out here keep to themselves and don't really care about what others do for a living whereas that was a focal point back on the East Coast
If you haven't noticed yet, people on the West Coast will usually ask where you live, before asking what you do. It's the way to break the ice out here. Back East, it's what do you do, followed by what school you went to. Out here, it's always where you live, followed by......Oh, I love..... (Fill in the blank with the mention of a beach, favorite burrito shope, my blah, blah lives there, I like to hike/bike......) Eventually, what you do will come out in the conversation.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
do you not talk to your neighbors and know what they do for a living?....seems to be one of the first questions I ask when/if I meet my neighbors.
I'm with you on this one. I know what all of my immediate neighbors do and they know what I do. Off the top of my I've got a middle school teacher, a college professor, a few SAHMs, a writer, a dentist, someone in politics, a few retired folks, someone who works at HP. Seems quite normal to me that I know what my neighbors do.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sziszi007 View Post
We are considering a move to La Jolla from Las Vegas
Our family could afford a house in 1-1.5 with out any mortgage.
I am stay at home to 4 kids for the time being but we are both educated professionals.
Looking for a costal city in LA or SD for our family with good schools and minimal commute.
Just wondering where do the lawyers live in SD area.

Thanks.
Get a realtor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego