Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 04:06 PM

16 posts, read 27,229 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there is there a good (in terms of initial coaching and friendly atmosphere) inexpensive, no-frills gym in San Diego for doing olympic lifts?

I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for hot-tubs and back-rubs and rows of treadmills. I just want to have access to a bunch of racks, benches, mats, and weights to do squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. to get back into lifting again.

Preferably not a crossfit gym, unless they have a dedicated lifting area with trained instructors. I have tried crossfit before and I injured both my knee and my shoulder due to poor form from a lack of proper instruction and overwork.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 05:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Have you tried the San Diego Rowing Club? I'm not exactly sure what kind of gym they have, but if its anything like ours they will have everything you need. Might be worth looking into.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:56 PM

50,265 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Can you use one with no instructor cause I know of some with pretty good Olympic sets. They don't have instructors, they attract the muscle heads of which I am proudly happy to hang with You mentioned "getting back into". An injury or something? For that I would recommend some of the outfits the Chargers use. I used Sports Med Center over by SDSU.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the tip about the rowing club, I'll give that a look.

1AngryTaxPayer - I can use one with no instruction, yeah, I just want to be careful getting back into weightlifting so I thought a bit of coaching might help to make sure my form is alright, or at least a friendly enough place where I can get some tips and spotting. I had a pretty bad knee injury that I'm getting over (finally able to walk up and down stairs without pain) but haven't had the money to do any physio (new job will hopefully change that).

Old 05-31-2014, 08:54 AM

80 posts, read 110,228 times
World Gym Pacific Beach. No frills. All the equipment you need. Squat racks, benches, lifting platform, dumbells as heavy as you need. Good prices, serious people training there. Best gym in SD.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:48 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanodan View Post
Does anyone know if there is there a good (in terms of initial coaching and friendly atmosphere) inexpensive, no-frills gym in San Diego for doing olympic lifts?

I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for hot-tubs and back-rubs and rows of treadmills. I just want to have access to a bunch of racks, benches, mats, and weights to do squats, deadlifts, bench press, etc. to get back into lifting again.

Preferably not a crossfit gym, unless they have a dedicated lifting area with trained instructors. I have tried crossfit before and I injured both my knee and my shoulder due to poor form from a lack of proper instruction and overwork.

Cheers!

Olympic lifts or power lifts? Bench, squat, and deadlift are powerlifting.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:11 PM

210 posts, read 412,181 times
Bro, do you even lift?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Power lifting for now though I'd like to get someone to show me how to properly do the clean and jerk.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 PM

210 posts, read 412,181 times
Sorry, bad joke...

Do You Even Lift? | Know Your Meme

Old 05-31-2014, 02:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
A group of nobodys calling other out back and forth lol. Just reminds me why I spend less and less time at the gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego