Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
honestly...your feelings remind me more of the culture shock one experiences when first living in CA...not just Oceanside.

I have talked to a lot of other transplants who are in for a similar transition...between the immigrants to the homeless to just a much bigger gap between rich and poor and the segregation between them.

there is no real middle class here.

I agree with the poster that said Oceanside is vastly improved(improving) and that there should be a more affordable place for our service people....of course that will bring the many looking for a more affordable place.

Most ghettos don't have numerous vacation rentals. Oceanside has a lot going for it.
Well, the truth is going from Laguna Niguel to Oceanside is a massive shock. One is totally organized, has tons of healthy activities available and is squeaky clean, while the other has problems more closely associated with very large cities. I am starting to worry about my relatives in Carlsbad. If you are not in the Aviara area or near Bressi Ranch, some of the Carlsbad schools are looking bad to me, or at least starting to deteriorate. I wish I could have them go to school here soon as I am hearing about things I never used to hear about in Carlsbad. I would like them to go to Niguel MS and Dana Hills High.

I feel for Dane and hope OC will help young families like hers (assuming they are first time home buyers) to get housing incentives so that we can keep them here and not become a county of all old foggies living in our gold sarcophagi (houses).

As for there being no middle class in Oceanside, I simply do not agree. I think there are infinity more such persons there than nearly anywhere else along the coast.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 07-07-2014 at 08:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 11:45 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
Oceanside is one of few places in CA where there is something closer to middle class. I meant there is no middle class in CA.

If you came to CA from another state with new eyes you would notice even the nice areas have rough edges, such as homeless and gang type looking people.

You don't notice it as much if you are living in one of the "squeaky clean" areas because you have grown accustomed to it and to avoiding it.

In other states there are just not homeless in suburban areas like there are here.

I wasn't saying Oceanside looks like laguna beach lol

Old 07-08-2014, 06:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Oceanside is one of few places in CA where there is something closer to middle class. I meant there is no middle class in CA.

If you came to CA from another state with new eyes you would notice even the nice areas have rough edges, such as homeless and gang type looking people.

You don't notice it as much if you are living in one of the "squeaky clean" areas because you have grown accustomed to it and to avoiding it.

In other states there are just not homeless in suburban areas like there are here.

I wasn't saying Oceanside looks like laguna beach lol
Agreed. Well we get homeless people because the weather is so nice lol.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:43 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
I don't blame them.... though it is confounding sometimes that the state or cities haven't figured out better ways to deal with the issues. no one wants to pay tons of money to live in a nice area and feel scared to go to the park or the library.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Rancho Bernardo has a couple of 'career homeless' that stand at various locations on Carmel Mtn Road and at the intersection of RB Road and Bernardo Center Drive. They have been doing this since I remember (10 years?). Totally harmless.

Since RB is at the far end of SDPD jurisdiction and there is no crime to speak of in the area, I rarely see the police make the long trek up the 15 to harass them.

Poway doesn't have this issue as this is just one of the advantages of being incorporated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego