Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:40 PM

300 posts, read 329,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Oh man me too. Being of immigrant stock myself, loved Ingrids.

There was German restaurant in OB or thereabouts. Still there?

El Cajon had a German American place but it was terrible. Anaheim, Huntington Beach or Torrance any day; that El Cajon place was SAD.
Yeah, Kaiserhof, right? Still there, but last time I went a couple of years ago they screwed the meal up, so that's the last time I'm going.

That El Cajon place the one that used to do the Oktoberfest back in the '70's? If it's the same place I haven't been there in decades. When places start to suck, I give up on them and go back to home cooking lol.

It's smazene karbonatky tonight, and good luck finding a restaurant that does that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:31 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
Yeah, Kaiserhof, right? Still there, but last time I went a couple of years ago they screwed the meal up, so that's the last time I'm going.

That El Cajon place the one that used to do the Oktoberfest back in the '70's? If it's the same place I haven't been there in decades. When places start to suck, I give up on them and go back to home cooking lol.

It's smazene karbonatky tonight, and good luck finding a restaurant that does that
The 70's were before my time.

I didn't know what your dish was, so I googled it and it looks like our frikadellen mit kartoffeln. I know how to cook 'em.

MMMM

By the way, they have 'em at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim if you are willing to drive.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The 70's were before my time.

I didn't know what your dish was, so I googled it and it looks like our frikadellen mit kartoffeln. I know how to cook 'em.

MMMM

Yep, that's exactly what it is, lots of crossover in Sudetenland!

There's also TipTop meats in Carlsbad, but I haven't been impressed by their restaurant last time I tried it. Oh well. The search will go on!

I'll have to check out the Phoenix club. There's also a really good Russian restaurant in the LA area - Traktir. I highly recommend them. Wife is Ukrainian descent, and the whole old world expat family gives Traktir a thumbs up, so I've got to go with their assessment. All I know is they have horseradish vodka...ok, maybe that's actually all I remember.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
Yep, that's exactly what it is, lots of crossover in Sudetenland!

There's also TipTop meats in Carlsbad, but I haven't been impressed by their restaurant last time I tried it. Oh well. The search will go on!
The restaurant in TipTop, gees do I know it well. I have been there one million times. It is not worth eating there as very little is German. I mean, saucy BBQ, really?

I brought a German friend from OC there and we nearly had to purge the pastry and coffee we ordered.

Also, when you make it to LA (or at least Westminster in OC), go to Jon's market for the deli section. You'll thank you, no really, you will. I supply Kabanosy steadily from there like a drug to a host of addicts.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:00 PM

Haven't been to Jon's for a long time, but it was good last time! I'll thank you anyway, lol!

Yep, there are a few places out there. Not many though.

How'd this turn into a German Deli thread? lol

Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 AM

33 posts, read 46,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Club tremor's and typhoon Saloon were the urban spots I thought?
Typhoon is White. For the longest time they forced people to coat service their hats/hooded sweaters. This kept urban people out.

Tremors is part of Bar & Grill. Which is arguably the most multicultural but not as ghetto as Tavern and ESPECIALLY Bar West

Let's be honest. As a 29 year old I can firmly say the interest of the college crowd has changed. If you travel the World you recognize Rap is now thee music of the United States. And especially in places like Southern California. Let's just say if you are a black guy living in San Diego, your best shot is in PB. And this has been the case for the past 3-5 years. Those driving into PB on a nightly basis to party represent this cultural change.

10 years ago, Bar West was a Techno bar. Very strict dress code. Today there are nights they allow wife beaters and the music choice is Rap. Same exact thing happened to Stingaree club Downtown. Turned ghetto. Face it, this is steadily the direction San Diego (and USA) is taking.

Last edited by futbolboy; 06-05-2014 at 05:56 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 06:00 AM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbolboy View Post
Typhoon is White. For the longest time they forced people to coat service their hats/hooded sweaters. This kept urban people out.

Tremors is part of Bar & Grill. Which is arguably the most multicultural but not as ghetto as Tavern and ESPECIALLY Bar West

Let's be honest. As a 29 year old I can firmly say the interest of the college crowd has changed. If you travel the World you recognize Rap is now thee music of the United States. And especially in places like Southern California. Let's just say if you are a black guy living in San Diego, your best shot is in PB. And this has been the case for the past 3-5 years. Those driving into PB on a nightly basis to party represent this cultural change.

10 years ago, Bar West was a Techno bar. Very strict dress code. Today there are nights they allow wife beaters and the music choice is Rap. Same exact thing happened to Stingaree club Downtown. Turned ghetto. Face it, this is steadily the direction San Diego (and USA) is taking.
Listen. I'm not a fan of rap music. I typically don't listen to it. I'm not much of a clubbing type. I generally don't like going to places where a fight could take place. However, I can't help but wonder if you just want places that keep Blacks in general out.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:33 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbolboy View Post
Compare the demographics of all the bars in the area. Bar West & Tavern are the two urban bars
"Urban" is a planning classification referring to housing density, and has nothing to do with demographics. Colloquially, it's sometimes used to refer to someone (of any cultural demographic) who lives in a city. Your post makes no sense.

EDIT: oh, I get it. "Urban" = "black". And in your estimation, "black" = "undesirable".

Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM

33 posts, read 46,750 times
In my experience, overwhelming majority of Black party goers listen to Rap. Rap glorifies gang life and activities. In a thread discussing street fights & shootings. I think that's pretty cut and dry.

Well off establishments have dress codes for a reason. Eliminate basketball shoes & over-sized clothing leads to decline in trouble. There are people of all skin colors that dress/act like this and the common correlation is Rap culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego