Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 01:27 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,912 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that specific areas of San Diego have houses built in certain years (El Cajon has alot built in the 50s, Mira Mesa alot in the 70s/80s etc...).

My agent says that houses built in the 50s and 60s were solid, those built in the 70s, not so much.

Is there some general consensus on which decade housing stock is of good quality in SD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 01:30 AM

210 posts, read 412,117 times
Yes. The consensus is houses built in the 50s and 60s are solid, those built in the 70s, not so much.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:28 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,988 times
^^Not sure if serious

Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,851,643 times
In my opinion, the generally solid construction from the 50s and 60s extended into the 70s. Our place (and most of Village Park, inland Encinitas) was built in 74 and it's still standing. It's not until the 80s that corners started getting cut with cheaper building materials and practices. The 90s and beyond? Forget about it. Those suckers are made of construction paper.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,988 times
which part of the homes were built very solid in the 50s/60s/70s? Like the foundations and studs? Or was the drywall and interior stuff what you are talking about? My house was built in the 60s but was completely remodeled a year or so ago

Old 06-04-2014, 10:59 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,081 times
The genreal consensus is that 70s homes suffered from quality issues.
Here is an example of 70s era homes in Santee that still have jacks under the house from when they were built to keep the foundations up. I had posted this a while ago... 10News: 700 Santee homes supported by jacks | UTSanDiego.com

I would actually say at least based on my experience researching and going through the process of buying and talking to many experienced agents, that houses built through the 50s some 60s (including 40s) are rock solid. Ours was built in '47 and the house is a tank. There is nothing terribly special about its design (traditional) but that was the era. The housing industry is also nothing like it is these days.

They used lath and plaster walls, virgin oak floors and the craftsmen from the time were still from the school of trade from an era where home building quality had a different standard than the 70s+. Some good some bad.

On the downside, the homes and rooms are smaller in size than modern homes. So generally there was no master bedroom en suite or some of the amenities that home buyers may want in todays modern market.
\
Also on the downside, is that not all houses that old have necessarily been kept up that well. Also plumbing if it was never replaced from cast iron etc need to be examined.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:47 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,540,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Here is an example of 70s era homes in Santee that still have jacks under the house from when they were built to keep the foundations up. I had posted this a while ago... 10News: 700 Santee homes supported by jacks | UTSanDiego.com

I would actually say at least based on my experience researching and going through the process of buying and talking to many experienced agents, that houses built through the 50s some 60s (including 40s) are rock solid. Ours was built in '47 and the house is a tank. There is nothing terribly special about its design (traditional) but that was the era. The housing industry is also nothing like it is these days.

They used lath and plaster walls, virgin oak floors and the craftsmen from the time were still from the school of trade from an era where home building quality had a different standard than the 70s+. Some good some bad.

On the downside, the homes and rooms are smaller in size than modern homes. So generally there was no master bedroom en suite or some of the amenities that home buyers may want in todays modern market.
\
Also on the downside, is that not all houses that old have necessarily been kept up that well. Also plumbing if it was never replaced from cast iron etc need to be examined.
Cast iron pipes are reality in eastern San Diego.
They break a lot. I was lucky that the person that owned the house before me put in all new ABS Pipes

Old 06-04-2014, 03:51 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post

\

This is good information. I was eliminating homes built in the 50s-60s from my Redfin search, but I may include them now.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
From the late 70's through to a good portion of the 90's saw a LOT of new composite materials going into new construction. Some of these new materials, well, they failed in a big way.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:48 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
Also the building code inside the city limits was always a lot stricter/better compared to in the county outside of the city so I'd be real careful with older houses outside of the city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego