Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 07:43 PM

16 posts, read 35,186 times

Advertisements

Thanks RainbowHope, I'll definitely be staying in the same field I'm now. Btw I'm a field technician aka cable guy lol. I been with the company for almost 10 years so I don't really think I want to move to a new company, but I'll keep my options open.

Another thing we were thinking is we would live in SD for ~ 3 years so my wife can gain more knowledge/ connections in her career and then move to a new area.

In a different note. I been reading that I should stay away south the 94. How accurate is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 PM

813 posts, read 1,265,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtorellan View Post
Thanks RainbowHope, I'll definitely be staying in the same field I'm now. Btw I'm a field technician aka cable guy lol. I been with the company for almost 10 years so I don't really think I want to move to a new company, but I'll keep my options open.

Another thing we were thinking is we would live in SD for ~ 3 years so my wife can gain more knowledge/ connections in her career and then move to a new area.

In a different note. I been reading that I should stay away south the 94. How accurate is that?
My husband was a field tech for Comcast for years (in New England) - but worked his way into a job at the HQ in New England and got into IT. You can take advantage of the tuition reimbursement program if Cox offers one. My husband got his whole degree paid for by Comcast and learned a lot through training that they sent him to. There is lots of room for advancement at the cable company.

We are new to San Diego, so I don't feel comfortable recommending different areas of the county yet, but there are many nice and extremely helpful people in the San Diego group that will chime in.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtorellan View Post
Not very. That's typically from people who are zenophobes because OOOH NOOOO ITS SOOO CLOSE TO THE BORRRDERRRR!

Even more extreme will be people who will tell you to stay north of I-8.

One example of a neighborhood south of the 94 that's very nice is Eastlake/Bonita. I expect there are more.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:47 AM

586 posts, read 437,442 times
You could probably find a small 3 bedroom home in Clairemont for about $2K per month. Since your kids are young the public elementary schools in the area would be fine. Or you could try the Choice program to get your kids into the University City schools which are close by.

Clairemont is an older neighborhood, but very centrally located with easy freeway access for both you and your wife depending on where you work.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 AM

RainbowHope,
thanks for your advice on the tuition assistance. I have been taking advantage of it so far, unfortunately I only started 1 yr ago as a part time with 1 to 2 classes per semester as we currently own a hair salon and I help with the office/bookkeeping/advertising/etc. lol.

oddstray,
that was a funny reply. I did had a feeling that was the reason why people where telling us to stay north of the 94. We actually like the idea of been closer to the Mexico/USA border as we're sure we will find authentic mexican food in SD, and I've also like to go to TJ some time.

LaJollaEast,
thank you very much. I will definitely look in to that area when we take a family trip sometime this year. I've been checking the school reports at zillow and the other housing apps, so far it seems that elementary level is pretty good in many SD areas.

I got to add, SD seems to have an excellent freeway system. Is traffic really that bad? Keep in mind I will be driving all day from job site to job site (house/apart/condo/business)

Old 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,547,197 times
Traffic is pretty bad during rush hours, but otherwise it's pretty good.

In addition to TJ, there's also Tecate. It's about an hour inland. It's much less a tourist/border town than Tijuana.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:29 PM

74 posts, read 88,942 times
I wouldn't live anywhere near the 94. low income gang area. Only place south of 94 I would live is Eastlake. Cox has San Diego south of I-8 and Time Warner has north. There are some areas where it overlaps. You have to type in a specific address. I would use Google maps to find addresses and just type them in here Cox Communications | Order Cox Cable, Phone and High-Speed Internet from ConnectMyCable

Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 PM

13 posts, read 19,348 times
Aww though most of what has been said is harsh, yet mostly true, do not let that discourage you from making San Diego your home! I transferred with AT&T 5 years ago, I then relocated back to the cold for my partners career- however we are in the midst of planning our (hopefully) permanent relocation to Hawaii in December! I'll try and give you as much information as I can from my 5 year experience! Note: I do not have children, so my experience may be different however I know of areas to stay away from!

Working for AT&T (not anymore), COX was one of our competitors, and is pretty much everywhere! Time Warner, AT&T UVerse, and COX are the main providers outside of DirecTV and Dish. I will say that COX wasn't as liked as TimeWarner and UVerse in the areas that I worked. Look for positions with TimeWarner and AT&T UVerse as well, it would be an easy transition and I know the pay is higher for UVerse. I have connections there, if you would like to speak with someone or get a hook up on a possible new job, direct message me and I will try to help you out! We had our technicians in different areas, and each garage had a different manager, assigned to a specific location. If you can access your intranet, you should be able to reach out to co workers on the west coast (anonymously) to get a better understanding of exact service locations. It is all about where the HUB is located, one street can be green while the street behind it will be red and never receive service.

Here is all the places I have lived:Note I was 20-25 so I was wanting to experience everything in San Diego
Purchased a home in Temecula (45 mins north of San Diego on the 15) $240K

Downtown: Studio $1300
Pacific Beach 3 Bedroom $2,500
Point Loma 1 bedroom $1300
La Jolla: 1 bedroom $1,500
Del Mar: 2 Bedroom $1675
Carlsbad: 3 Bedroom $2,500
Vista: 3 bedroom house $1,900
Carmel Mountain 3 Bedroom House $2,000

Area's that I would stay away from- for many different and various reasons
(These areas also may be the most affordable housing as well)
I'll go from North to South
-Oceanside
-Vista
-Escondido
-University Heights
Anything south of Downtown and East of the 15

Area's that I would consider great family friendly neighborhoods
North to South: **Are the more affordable options
-Carlsbad
-San Marcos*
-Rancho Bernardo/4S Ranch/ Carmel Mountain*
-Encinitas
-Del Mar/ Carmel Valley
-Rancho Santa Fe ( MOST EXPENSIVE AREA EVER- look up homes in the area for a dream and a laugh!)
-La Jolla
-Point Loma
-North Park and Hillcrest are adorable places and fairly affordable but not as much outdoor space.

North County will provide more outdoor space/yard.

-Anything east of the 15 freeway will be more affordable rent- however your electricity bill will more than make up for the difference! SO HOTT!!

Browse craigslist to check out the market! You can always get lucky if you prepare in advanced!

As for your wife and her career, it is true that it is more competitve.. with that being said I am a firm believer in "Where there is a will there is a way!"

I would recommend north county coastal areas and Rancho Santa Fe! If she has a personable personality, and can handle 'Upper Class' "Charm" then she can settle in to make a lot of money once she builds her clientele!
Just for example check out this salons website on prices and photos, and just google search hair salon 'Rancho Santa Fe' just to get an idea of average hair prices! It is really all about the relationship and service she is wiling to provide these types of clients! Roll out the red carpet and make them feel special and you can easily get a $100+ tip! I've witnessed it with my own eye balls! I worked in Del Mar (Beach Town directly east of Rancho Santa Fe) and I was tipped $80 for pairing a cell phone to a car bluetooth!! High quality service they appreciate!
STUDIO SAVVY SALON | Hair & Beauty Salon Services in Rancho Santa Fe
Studio Felando | Services & Pricing Menu

She could even make contacts in LA and grow up that tree! Social Media is huge. I'd recommend starting a instagram, Facebook, etc. Reach out to Groupon and Living Social to get started and offer house calls to get started!

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 PM

oddstray, thanks for the tip about Tecate. I'll definitely check it out once we move.

Tall, I kinda had a feeling cox was south of the 8 but wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming it.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:43 PM

Tosh_Jona, thank you very much for that elaborated reply. I got to say I'm really impressed and honor because you've taken the time to give me all that awesome information.
I love to believe my wife has a great personality, but what do I know lol. So far all her clients have been please with her work. Some of her current clients are at top level executives at wally world. Which is awesome. It's hard to explain. She doesn't just love what se does, it seems that for her is just a hobby it even seems natural for her.
She is already active in social media but we can definitely learn more. She has Facebook, Twitter, instagram, I think she has them all and updates them daily. Since we open the hair salon we realized social media was the way to go to get a broader clientele.

I checked out Rancho Santa Fe. I definitely saw some really nice house, but I was crying most of the time (not really) cause of those heart attack priceses.

How much hotter is it east of the 15?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego