Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,788 times

Advertisements

Got a new job in San Diego- Sorrento Valley need to find affordable housing for single guy (40)
no pets , no kids
ideas and suggestions would be helpful
would like to be close to work - so looking in Mira Mesa area

btw
yes ive googled, craiglisted, and found other websites
please provide good sites to check out and what is the standard cost of a 1 bedroom apartment/condo?
budget is under 1500 a month

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:29 PM

358 posts, read 584,112 times
1/1 goes for around $1250/month in Mira mesa.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:30 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
you are in a prime location working in Mira Mesa. You pretty much can live anywhere from Downtown to Poway to Encinitas to PB to Mission Valley, etc. What do you like? Beach? Walkable area? Parks? Hiking trails? Warmer weather than the coast? Bars/restaurants close by?

For $1500/month and able to live in various places opens up your options a lot.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:22 PM

192 posts, read 251,549 times
I also work in Sorrento Valley. You don't want to live near work in Mira Mesa. There's nothing going on here. Sometimes I'll come to work on the weekends and it's dead. Go up the hill to Mira Mesa and there's zero character and boring chain stores...not one good restaurant. Also, traffic on Mira Mesa during the workweek is ridiculous.

I suggest living in La Jolla/UTC area. You can find a 1 bedroom for your max budget. I wanted a 2 bedroom so I had to go further south and ended up in Clairemont on the I-5 side, close to the bay. I paid $1650 for a 2 bed, 2 bath. The one next door to me rented for $1500. Anyway, there's plenty of other places for a single person to live instead of Mira Mesa.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,788 times
thanks for the information , I'm so excited to be leaving the heat of Arizona

Old 06-24-2014, 07:47 PM

358 posts, read 584,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post
I also work in Sorrento Valley. You don't want to live near work in Mira Mesa. There's nothing going on here. Sometimes I'll come to work on the weekends and it's dead. Go up the hill to Mira Mesa and there's zero character and boring chain stores...not one good restaurant. Also, traffic on Mira Mesa during the workweek is ridiculous.

I suggest living in La Jolla/UTC area. You can find a 1 bedroom for your max budget. I wanted a 2 bedroom so I had to go further south and ended up in Clairemont on the I-5 side, close to the bay. I paid $1650 for a 2 bed, 2 bath. The one next door to me rented for $1500. Anyway, there's plenty of other places for a single person to live instead of Mira Mesa.
Funny you said traffic from Sorrento valley to Mira mesa is based, yet you suggest living in UTC. It takes more time to get on the freeway than to get to the apartment on the west side of Mira mesa. Mira mesa has plenty of good ethnic food, from Vietnamese, to Indian, to Pilipino, to middle eastern, to Mexican food. None of these are chain. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. I haven't even touch on all the micro breweries in Mira mesa.

Also keep in mind that san Diego is a driving city. Unless you live in downtown, hillcrest, etc. You're most likely will need to get in your car to go anywhere. From Mira mesa, you can get to most places in san Diego county in 15-20 minutes. It is pretty central to all of san Diego county.

I work in Sorrento valley and live on the west side of Mira mesa. It takes me 5-10 minutes to get home. On days where I have to go south during traffic time in the afternoon, it takes me at least 15 minutes to get on the freeway.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 AM

74 posts, read 89,555 times
I use to live in Mira Mesa and worked at a biotech company in Sorrento. The 10 minute commute was nice and shopping was everywhere. I saved a ton of gas. I avoided Mira Mesa Blvd after 5pm and took the side streets. I loved the diversity of women there - black, white, pacific islander, punjabi, asian, etc. It seemed to have them all. The neighborhood is kind of rundown and overcrowded but there are still some some nice areas around the fringes. south part of Penasquitos is very nice.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:13 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post
The best Indian food in the city is in Mira Mesa as is the best Vietnamese. That doesn't count as even a single good restaurant? I'll give you that it is indeed suburbia where everyone is married with two kids and a dog but don't you feel you're over stating things just a bit?

Either way the location simply can't be beat as it is central to everything and still close enough to the beach to get the cool weather. Personally, I'd suggest he rent a place in west Mira Mesa (or maybe find a room for rent in a house which is also filled with professionals his age) and just stay close to work. Traffic isn't an issue if you're only 1 mile away from work.

Last edited by Think4Yourself; 06-25-2014 at 05:24 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Also take a look at the Torrey Hills/Carmel Valley area. You can get to Sorrento Valley on surface streets from there. It's a bit more expensive than UTC. Starting rents for a 1 bedroom is $1800

Carmel Valley Apartments - Apartments for Rent in Carmel Valley, San Diego, CA

Old 06-29-2014, 06:24 AM

4 posts, read 3,804 times
I would strongly suggest in Woodfin Suites. My husband, 3 year old son, & I stayed at the Woodfin Suites in April, which is in the Mira Mesa area. It was perfectly safe, & there were a ton of stores/restaurants down the road. I wouldn't worry at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego