Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times

Advertisements

I do like Sacramento myself....

just very hot in the summer, which I would not recommend to someone who wants "mild" unless they just mean mild winters...in that case Sacramento is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 05:39 PM

16 posts, read 35,465 times
The neighborhoods mentioned in the beginning definitely have more of a "vibrant" community, but if you really want something nicer in San Diego for lower rent you will have to broaden your horizons. You can definitely find a one bedroom apartment in this price range. San Diego is one of the cities where it is cheaper to buy than rent as well, since so many people living here are temporary transplants that eat up the rental market. As a Chicago transplant, you would like the feel of neighborhoods like Normal Heights and University Heights, though these are older areas with more houses in disrepair. You will find nicer places north of Adams ave, but probably not in your budget. I'd look into La Mesa, Mission Valley, Clairemont, and Tierrasanta as neighborhoods that are close to all but less expensive. Some nice suburban areas which might be affordable include poway, Carlsbad, San Marcos, Santee, Bonita, parts of Chula Vista.They might not be as "vibrant" (minus the village area of la mesa). I can guarantee you that there is no neighborhood here that is as scary as the south side of Chicago lol! I live in clairemont and some houses here have bars on the windows. Not because the neighborhood is the least bit scary, but for some reason Vietnamese families dig them. The quality of buildings themselves are much lower than buildings you will find in Chicago. No brick, no basements, just stucco and drywall boxes without much architectural interest. Especially if it was built after 1960. So the buildings look crappier than they do out there. Much crappier. I've been to Chicago many times and I am amazed by the beauty of the buildings. And how the trees line the streets. We don't have that here. So if you like the outdoors, and you are fine with living in less than 1000 square feet, move here. If you want to live in a beautiful house, look elsewhere.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:35 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I do like Sacramento myself....

just very hot in the summer, which I would not recommend to someone who wants "mild" unless they just mean mild winters...in that case Sacramento is good.
Yeah, in that case they might as well move to Phoenix or Tucson. They can get a large 3 bedroom house there for 1000 to 1500 in a nice area. Hot summers but they would also have a pool which makes summers tolerable.

Old 01-01-2015, 03:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
I'd also mention that Monterey is even more expensive...Monterey is a primo location, lots of $$$$ there.

You might want to check out Leucadia in North County, it's kind of a throwback to the 60's but it is in a great area...right next to Encinitas. There's lots of tiny little places in the area but, again, it's location, location, location so the prices are still going to be on the high side. But sometimes you can just luck out and find something that would work for you.

Keep in mind San Diego has probably the most perfect weather in the country and people come here from all over the world to live, and they bring boat loads of money with them, so those of us "middle class" people are being pushed out. You might have to take a place that isn't ideal until you live here awhile and get the lay of the land. You can go from "cowboy country" to surf towns and everything in between, there are lots of different lifestyles here.

When I moved here 37 years ago, I had to bounce around a lot and unless you buy a home, rental situations will change over the years. One pays the price for living in a place where there is such a high demand for housing. I just retired and will most likely have to move out of state at some point for lower cost of living. It's not easy...

Just noticed that the OP was going to move in 2-3 months...wonder if she/he ever made it here?

Old 01-17-2015, 03:21 PM

30 posts, read 73,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoogler View Post
Thanks very much. I will look into SLO. I would like to be close to a city. I live in a suburb of Chicago and I like many aspects of suburban living. But there are nice neighborhoods within the city itself, too. I just don't want to live in the Midwest at all anymore.

We had 5 tornadoes all around last night. We were just lucky to have been missed. We had 85 MPH winds. It is terrifying every time the tornado sirens go off. ANd the weather is awful...hot and humid, then the winter is freezing, icy, just awful.
Sorry, late to your posts as well.
San Luis Obispo is really nice, grew up there, owned several homes, etc... My brother makes a very good secure living as a fire captain, and lives in a home that was somewhat old when I was in high school. BUT...prices are really high compared to what I was used to. My brother bought a "fixer" that was listed for $1.2mil when they accepted his offer of over $850K. It has large lot, but still 20 minute drive to city center. SLO is a college town and prices reflect that.
The back road from SLO to Arroyo Grande will drop you into some developments that are in SLO County, but not SLO city.
Recently my brother said they have been seeing an influx of people from Seattle who can afford the high prices, thus driving up prices.
But, honestly having looked at areas in the West the prices can be a shock.
Good news is that many in SLO are being allowed to add "mother in law" units to help make ends meet. Most don't even list their places due to not wanting students.
When I was growing up there we had cruising. Now they have what started out as a farmer's market that has morphed into a total scene. It's a great opportunity to meet the people who have, or know of, rentals.

It can be hard to not post responses to things that may upset you, but will really help you not get discouraged. Most don't intend to do this, but all have opinions which is what is so great about this board. 😊

Old 01-17-2015, 07:50 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoogler View Post
Well thanks everyone. I appreciate the info provided ( even though some of it came across as a bit insulting TBH."Normal Heights which should still be within your budget. Normal Heights is a dumpy neighborhood") It will be a cold day in h-e double L when I even look at anyplace like the ones you've shown me let alone live in one.
Thanks for setting me straight. I had no idea.
LOL the entitled attitude part is why I think you received the responses you did. Why would it be a cold day in hell before you lived in one of those places posted? You liked SD enough to consider it, so why not in turn consider a bit of a sacrifice to make it happen? A lot of us in this state have lived in places like these. I paid $1,200 for my last 495 sq ft studio. You basically just said it'd be a cold day in hell before you lived like me.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:17 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
And the OP hasn't posted since August 2014.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:48 PM

356 posts, read 365,546 times
You should pick a neighborhood that's in the middle of San Diego, so your not too far from every thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego