Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 05:56 PM

20 posts, read 56,737 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am looking into moving to San Diego from Chicago, sight unseen, in the next 2-3 months. I can't stand the extremes of weather here one more season.

I'm hoping there are, contrary to what some say, affordable, nice areas in San Diego.

I'd like to rent a nice, small house in a good, safe, walkable neighborhood, with tree lined streets.
I can pay about 12-1500 a month plus utilities. I have a small dog. I know that makes it more of a challenge, but I know it can be done if I find the right landlord.

I've read through many threads here, but I'm hoping for some new, well thought out info.

I am a self employed single woman, a young 60, and I want to get involved in a community, meet new people and enjoy the lovely weather.

I have lived in the suburbs of Chicago for many years and like many aspects of suburban living, but I now want to be in the city, but in a quiet, lovely neighborhood.

Please tell me I can find what I'm looking for.....

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 06:45 PM

6,421 posts, read 11,623,426 times
San Diego is a semi-arid climate. We have some trees, but I don't think anywhere qualifies as "tree-lined streets". Nothing like what you see in the midwest or east coast.

12-1500 a month sounds quite low for a house until you get out past the suburbs. You might be able to find a townhouse with a yard for that sort of budget closer in to town.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:01 PM

Thanks. Can you make some neighborhood suggestions?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:17 PM

Can anyone else shed some light on this for me? Neighborhoods, rents, descriptions?

Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM

15,137 posts, read 32,417,574 times
Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, Golden Hill, East Village, Gaslamp.

You can check out the rents on Craigslist, and I think someone made a thread with neighborhood descriptions in it. When you check Craigslist, post the addresses of the apartments that you find on here for comments.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:29 PM

I should add that I have also been considering the Monterey area in Northern California, but I thought I night have more areas to choose from in San Diego. Given the lack of responses, perhaps I'm wrong.

I just know I have to find an area where the weather is mild....

Old 06-29-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Hillcrest, North Park, South Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, Golden Hill, East Village, Gaslamp.

You can check out the rents on Craigslist, and I think someone made a thread with neighborhood descriptions in it. When you check Craigslist, post the addresses of the apartments that you find on here for comments.
Thanks very much...now I have something concrete!

Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 PM

15,137 posts, read 32,417,574 times
You can get a small house/cottage, but don't count on a yard. Cottages are mostly in complexes, and it depends on what you call a small house.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:33 PM

What do you mean, cottages are in complexes...like where? Can you give me an example please keep in mind that I have no idea about the neighborhoods there...that's why I'm here asking questions. And what about approximate prices?
Thanks.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:35 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,918,098 times
I don't know what you expect to get for 1200-1500 per month. You're not going to get a small house with a yard in places like Hillcrest or North Park or Encinitas or OB or Mission Hills. One bedroom apartments can go for more than $1500. If you expand your horizons out to places like Lakeside and Santee, you'll probably find more options. But they aren't going to be "walkable" in a sense. And they sure aren't going to be what people think of when they think San Diego.

What do you expect to get for under $1500 per month? There are certain neighborhoods where small Houses go for $3-6K per month. But if you want nice areas close to many things, that's what you'll pay. Otherwise you'll rent in places not as nice and maybe a little away from the action. Or you wind up having roommates or living in Quadplexes or 4 small little cottages on a yard that once housed one family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego