Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,399,512 times

Advertisements

Some time back, I developed my own map of North Park. You can see it closely parallels T. Damon's map.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...d-expanded.jpg

A final note, within North Park, (west of the 805) even the Scrutinize and Careful zones can be eminently suitable if you are in a quality building. East of 805 the building itself may not be enough to make it suitable for you. However, east of 805 T. Damon's lines could use some refinement. I'll be private messaging him for a discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janemj View Post
Anyone have thoughts on 3278 North Park Way? Good area of North Park? Based on T. Damon's map, it's on the cusp of "scrutiny" and "nice."
I live on Utah between El Cajon and Adams, which he has listed as "careful". My block is super-chill, and nice, the block to the north is slightly less so. The block to the east of me I wouldn't live on if you paid me. The difference (in order of desirability, from least- to most-): Number of apartment buildings vs. small courtyard apartments and single-family homes. I agree with his map on a general level, but it's kind of block-by block still, and the criteria I mentioned is a really, really good way to narrow it down even more. Google street view can help you with that

Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There's property crime everywhere. I also lived in the Forget It area (City Heights) for 5 1/2 years. I never had my cottage broken into, nor was my van vandalized.
He/she has mentioned property crime in north Park a couple of times before. I'm guessing a traumatic experience?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Some time back, I developed my own map of North Park. You can see it closely parallels T. Damon's map.

//www.city-data.com/forum/attac...d-expanded.jpg

A final note, within North Park, (west of the 805) even the Scrutinize and Careful zones can be eminently suitable if you are in a quality building. East of 805 the building itself may not be enough to make it suitable for you. However, east of 805 T. Damon's lines could use some refinement. I'll be private messaging him for a discussion.
You and T. Damon are right on, and your point about areas West of the 805 is an excellent one.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
He/she has mentioned property crime in north Park a couple of times before. I'm guessing a traumatic experience?
I guess I'll just have to keep repeating myself, and no, I've never had a traumatic experience.

I'm a single female, used to live in City Heights, and never had any type of problems with the exception of the slumlord that I rented from and the property manager.

But then again, I grew up in the Washington, DC, I'm not paranoid, and I sometimes work nights, and come in very late. I have friends that live in other parts of City Heights and have never had any problems. But if you're paranoid, it won't matter where you live, because you'll be constantly looking over your shoulder.

I'm low income, (even with working full time to supplement my Social Security), and I live within my means. So that means that I don't live (or want to live) in North Park, South Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, or Golden Hill. I don't want to live around people who party, nor do I don't party, I like to live where it's quiet. I'm don't have the privilege of sitting behind a desk at work, I'm tired when I get home, and I like my peace and quiet.

Yes, I used to see hookers on ECB, but they never bothered me, and they're not out there very long anymore, because they're picked up by SDPD almost immediately. City Heights is what you make of it. It's a lower income area, and some people can't afford anything else. If you're afraid of everything, don't live in the city.

Last edited by moved; 07-09-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
OK Here is my updated map, hopefully better describing the nuances in how the areas are defined, and how there is still a high degree of variability within some of the previously described "careful" and "scrutinize" areas- which I tried to convey in my post but was somewhat lost in my quick and dirty map.

What do you guys think of this?- kettlepot, moved, and Jenkay?
I'm totally open to refinement which I'm sure it still needs

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by T. Damon; 07-09-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 12:51 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,313,804 times
I used to live in Residential Type A. There was lots of neighbor/traffic/noise, and horrible parking issues (literally non-existent), definitely not moderate.

The only crimes that occurred where I lived were due to the property manger stealing from the tenants, and a dumpster fire. There were lots of nice SFR along Orange Avenue, that were kept up by the residents, and the location and building desirability varied from street to street.

Last edited by moved; 07-09-2014 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
Quote:
I used to live in Residential Type A. There was lots of neighbor/traffic/noise, and parking issues, definitely not moderate.

The only crimes that occurred where I lived were due to the property manger stealing from the tenants, and a dumpster fire. There were lots of nice SFR along Orange Avenue, that were kept up by the residents, and the location and building desirability varied from street to street.
Edited to reflect you comments.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM

192 posts, read 251,449 times
My friend just moved to 2nd floor duplex on 33rd and Upas. It is on the larger side, 1400 sq ft, 2/1 she pays $1950 a month. My other friend lives in University Heights off Mississippi 2/1 for $1900 a month. So, for your budget, you'll probably have to settle for a 1-bedroom. When I was looking for a single family home with a budget of about $2500, I could not find anything in my price range in North Park, Hillcrest or Kensington that wasn't a cottage size. I want to also mention that my friends and I have lived in these urban-ish neighborhoods and never had any problems with crime and mostly we are singles or couples. My friend that's in North Park has only single female neighbors, she is too. So, it must be safe if the whole building are ladies! I used to live in Bay Park and had a 2/1 condo and paid $1650 a month. It was very walkable and safe, even though I would not say it was the cleanest of neighborhoods. Oh, one time my storage unit was broken into and they stole my laundry detergent and toilet paper, left the bike. It was my fault I think I forgot to latch my lock.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I guess I'll just have to keep repeating myself, and no, I've never had a traumatic experience.

I'm a single female, used to live in City Heights, and never had any type of problems with the exception of the slumlord that I rented from and the property manager.

But then again, I grew up in the Washington, DC, I'm not paranoid, and I sometimes work nights, and come in very late. I have friends that live in other parts of City Heights and have never had any problems. But if you're paranoid, it won't matter where you live, because you'll be constantly looking over your shoulder.

I'm low income, (even with working full time to supplement my Social Security), and I live within my means. So that means that I don't live (or want to live) in North Park, South Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, or Golden Hill. I don't want to live around people who party, nor do I don't party, I like to live where it's quiet. I'm don't have the privilege of sitting behind a desk at work, I'm tired when I get home, and I like my peace and quiet.

Yes, I used to see hookers on ECB, but they never bothered me, and they're not out there very long anymore, because they're picked up by SDPD almost immediately. City Heights is what you make of it. It's a lower income area, and some people can't afford anything else. If you're afraid of everything, don't live in the city.
I meant Tall. Not you. You were responding to Tall's post and I responded to that. I know your story and how you feel about the neighborhood by now, and we're quite in agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego