Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 AM

27 posts, read 28,770 times

Advertisements

Rehashing an older thread to get some more advise.

My only questions are: Where is a good neighborhood to live in with a.) low to average cost of living b.) fun/social/single young people in their early to mid 20's c.) great nightlife plenty of activities d.) high walkability/access to shops
(OPTIONAL) - access to public transit and/or beach.

Again to reiterate for people who have not seen my OP, I am currently 21, very social and down to earth, often thrive in an urban environment. Looking to make the most of my time in SD while I am there. Going to be moving out late September with a friend of mine also 21. We have a small friendly dog coming with us (happening no matter what). Very low maintenance when it comes to living necessities. Just the ones stated above.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a request for counseling on whether or not I should move to SD or not. We will be going regardless. Also aware of the tough job market. I have 4 years of college with a science degree under my belt so far and plenty of office/general labor experience. ALL I'm looking for is a fun neighborhood to live in with fun people for approx. a year in between undergrad and graduate school. Please don't distract people from posting helpful POSITIVE advice by lecturing me on how "so many people do the same thing and end up on the street".. it's not needed.

Thanks again everyone. Apologies if this is a redundant post... Just trying to get the best answer catered towards my specific situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,578,046 times
there are lots of good places that meet b/c/d/ on your list but not a.

Not many places are going to meet a) on your list unless you look at less than desirable neighborhoods or you have a very broad definition of average COL

Old 07-09-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
there are lots of good places that meet b/c/d/ on your list but not a.

Not many places are going to meet a) on your list unless you look at less than desirable neighborhoods or you have a very broad definition of average COL

thanks GMUAlum... specifically which neighborhoods meet b, c, & d? and my definition of average COL is 800 - 1100/month or at least that's the maximum I am willing to pay per month.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlat311 View Post
thanks GMUAlum... specifically which neighborhoods meet b, c, & d? and my definition of average COL is 800 - 1100/month or at least that's the maximum I am willing to pay per month.
What size place are you looking for?

I would say Encinitas/Cardiff/Gaslamp/North Park/Hill Crest/Carlsbad Village meet b,c,d but I doubt you will find anything for less than 1,100 a month in any of these neighborhoods unless its a studio or you get a roommate or two

Old 07-09-2014, 11:09 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Quote:
You can find apartments for this amount of rent, but you won't like the neighborhood. It depends on how picky you are, and how bad you want to move to San Diego.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 PM

GMU - I am looking for a relatively small place. Could honestly be a hole in the wall as long as the locale is good. And I do have one other rooming with me to take down the cost of rent a bit.

moved - very very badly. its more of a question of how can I make this work? maybe get a one br apt. and squeeze in a mattress? again neighborhood is ideal.. the overall rent can stretch to a max of 2100 so split betw. two ppl is like 1050 each..

any other ideas? thanks so far guys

Old 07-09-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
GMU - I am looking for a relatively small place. Could honestly be a hole in the wall as long as the locale is good. And I do have one other rooming with me to take down the cost of rent a bit.

moved - very very badly. its more of a question of how can I make this work? maybe get a one br apt. and squeeze in a mattress? again neighborhood is ideal.. the overall rent can stretch to a max of 2100 so split betw. two ppl is like 1050 each..

any other ideas? thanks so far guys
You can find a 2 bedroom (maybe 3) place for 2100 in the neighborhoods I mentioned so I'd look there

Old 07-09-2014, 12:52 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Look on Craigslist and post addresses here for more information.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:52 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
You're going to either have to get a roommate are lower your standards Period. There's no way to sugar coat it!
I have two questions for you O.P.
1) Have you ever visited San Diego?
2) What part of the country are you moving from? (so we can compare neighborhoods)

Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You're going to either have to get a roommate are lower your standards Period. There's no way to sugar coat it!
I have two questions for you O.P.
1) Have you ever visited San Diego?
2) What part of the country are you moving from? (so we can compare neighborhoods)

1) I have never visited San Diego but have done research on it for months and been asking anyone that has ever been there/lived there. Everyone raves about it. I have heard a fair share of bad things about it but what city doesn't have its flaws? It also consistently shows up on "top cities to live in for young adults" and "most livable us cities".

2) I'm doing the big move from NY.

-- I do have a roommate remember.. that's already settled.

-I will work on posting addresses if you guys can give some feedback. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego