Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,623,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Daily Caller website has included UC San Diego on its list of the "17 ugliest college campuses in America." The website's review of UC San Diego says, "The surrounding area is beautiful and all, and the UCSD campus has some nice features, but there’s way too much concrete. The repugnant main library looks like a cross between a spaceship and an especially drab head of broccoli."
More here: UCSD makes list of ugliest colleges | UTSanDiego.com

What do you think? I have never heard of this Daily Caller website. Apparently it's a right wing news source so that's probably why.

Anyway, I thought this was interesting. Do you think think the campus is ugly? It seems to have no consistency or theme with how the buildings look. They just seem sort of random. I go to SDSU which I think is a beautiful campus. UCSD has the best surrounding area with picturesque views of La Jolla and the Pacific Ocean with the cliffs. SDSU has the beautiful buildings and architecture, but the surrounding area isn't all that pretty.

UCSD = ugly campus, beautiful view.
SDSU = beautiful campus, mediocre view.

Just thought this would be a fun thread.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 08-04-2014 at 09:21 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,544,885 times
USD = beautiful campus, beautiful view.

I can absolutely see why people would say that about UCSD . . . but beauty wasn't the reason why they commissioned those architects or created those buildings.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,340,446 times
I agree that UCSD is mostly an ugly campus. It does have the odd art installation here and there, such as the 7 Virtues and 7 Vices.

However, SDSU's campus is not beautiful. It is mediocre at best. But in general, architectural standards for Post War Construction in California have been pretty low.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,623,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
USD = beautiful campus, beautiful view.
I forgot about USD! Spectacular all around indeed. I know it doesn't really matter what a university looks like as people are there to learn not admire the campus but I jsut thought this would be a fun thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I agree that UCSD is mostly an ugly campus. It does have the odd art installation here and there, such as the 7 Virtues and 7 Vices.

However, SDSU's campus is not beautiful. It is mediocre at best. But in general, architectural standards for Post War Construction in California have been pretty low.
I disagree. I think SDSU is a beautiful campus.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:22 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,485,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I forgot about USD! Spectacular all around indeed. I know it doesn't really matter what a university looks like as people are there to learn not admire the campus but I jsut thought this would be a fun thread.

I disagree. I think SDSU is a beautiful campus.

That photo is of Hepner Hall, one of the oldest parts of SDSU's campus. I had many of my classes in there. It's great to see it again.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 AM

50,059 posts, read 46,599,133 times
We live in a desert so relying on the local fauna and terrain is a bad idea if that is how we judge a campus. USD for the win.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM

1,730 posts, read 2,554,740 times
I was in the first freshman class at UCSD in 1964. We had only five buildings -- A,B,C,D,E.
Back then we thought the concrete campus was modern and beautiful. But I don't think it
has stood the test of time.

Last edited by ucctgg; 08-05-2014 at 11:04 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 10:22 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,528,762 times
UCSD does have some unusual architecture:

Old 08-05-2014, 12:31 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,432,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We live in a desert so relying on the local fauna and terrain is a bad idea if that is how we judge a campus. USD for the win.
I agree that USD is definitely the nicest, aesthetically speaking, of all the universities, followed by SDSU and then UCSD. When strolling through USD, it feels like you are walking through Balboa Park.

I must say I am also quite fond of both the City College and Mesa College. Not in terms of architecture, but in tems of location. But with all the bond money they've received lately, these two community colleges are certainly getting a much deserved face list. The Mesa College library is certainly nice, but thats been up for several years now.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:56 PM

50,059 posts, read 46,599,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I agree that USD is definitely the nicest, aesthetically speaking, of all the universities, followed by SDSU and then UCSD. When strolling through USD, it feels like you are walking through Balboa Park.

I must say I am also quite fond of both the City College and Mesa College. Not in terms of architecture, but in tems of location. But with all the bond money they've received lately, these two community colleges are certainly getting a much deserved face list. The Mesa College library is certainly nice, but thats been up for several years now.
I hope they use some of that scratch to build more parking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego