Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 12:28 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Sacramento, San Jose, & Riverside came in ahead of Los Angeles? These surveys are a joke. I have lived in SJ & Sac. They are both pleasant places to live, but they just are not that high on the cool factor. Even the people who live in those two metros generally admit as much.
I think both Sac and SJ are a hell of a lot cooler than San Diego. There is about zero art or local music scene in SD. Chain stores everyone. Maybe 1 coffee shop in the entire city (yes that is hyperbole, but cmon). Military and deadwood/old money everywhere (major cool factor there lol). The place has a beach which is awesome and some great local eateries, but that's about it. It's a really slow vibe and about as far down the cool scale as you can get as CA metros go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
That list is a complete joke. Washington is boring unless you're into the DC/Beltway culture. Their crime rate is out of control. Seattle flat out sucks: the term 'Seattle Freeze' isn't in the urban dictionary without reason. Followed by Austin and Houston...yeah.

Just about every city on the California coast offers more than any of those.
Seattle used to be the opitome of cool, the center of a pop culture revolution. Now it is a corporate Starbucks drinking plugged in techie city. Same thing is happening to SF. Money and cost of living drives the "cool" out of any city. When you work 60 hours a week to survive in one of these places your life becomes your work. You become completely out of touch with anything hip or cool. Rule #1 for any city rating high on the cool list should be an abundance of affordable places to live. A place where artists, entreprenuers and people doin' their own thing in life can survive. Seattle no longer fits that bill. Places like Austin, Sacramento and even Portland have temporarily stolen the mantle from the Seattle's and SF's of the world.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:42 AM

555 posts, read 802,936 times
Sacite:
LOL---Portland is well on its way down too, trust me!

I've heard some good things about Sacramento, though. I think that California is actually making a cultural rebound. SF could go either way, but good things are happening in most of the state.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Sacite:
LOL---Portland is well on its way down too, trust me!

I've heard some good things about Sacramento, though. I think that California is actually making a cultural rebound. SF could go either way, but good things are happening in most of the state.
Ya I think Portland has been discovered. Now the loft conversions have come and it is beginning to experience gentrification. It seems like it's only a matter of time with most up and coming cities. I can already swe the warning signs in Sac as midtown continues to grow and a new downtown stadium is under construction. I was a big proponent of that stadium and a more dense urban downtown in general, but I just saw a sign for new lofts in midtown to be constructed for sale at "mid 700s". $700k for a loft in midtown Sac? I hope it stays young, full of gardeners, artists and middle aged burnouts lol. Midtown has a soul and unique character that I hope can survive the new money coming in.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:55 AM

788 posts, read 1,876,557 times
Quote:
Yellow King:
"What a bubble" indeed. Crime rates: Washington DC vs. San Diego:

Total Crime, San Diego 53.7% lower

Murder: SD 83% lower
Rape SD 20% lower
Assault SD 47% lower
Robbery SD 82% lower

Washington DC---violent crime rate 221% higher than the national average.

It's not "out of control" if the crime rate is dropping at a significant pace. Clearly, the authorities are getting it under control. Higher crime rates mean you need to be smarter and aware. Unless you want to live your life in fear...

From a native San Diegan, DC literally beats SD in every category when it comes to cultural opportunities, activities, things to do, etc.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:00 AM

788 posts, read 1,876,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I think both Sac and SJ are a hell of a lot cooler than San Diego. There is about zero art or local music scene in SD. Chain stores everyone. Maybe 1 coffee shop in the entire city (yes that is hyperbole, but cmon). Military and deadwood/old money everywhere (major cool factor there lol). The place has a beach which is awesome and some great local eateries, but that's about it. It's a really slow vibe and about as far down the cool scale as you can get as CA metros go.
no. wrong. try again.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,724 times
Quote:
San Diego didn't make it on the list for any of those reasons. It made it for the plethora of recreational opportunities the area offers.

No it's not perfect, no city really is.

Last edited by aboveordinary; 08-09-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 09:42 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
no. wrong. try again.

Ignore him. He lives in El Dorado Hills, CA.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:52 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,185 times
Quote:
My friends across the country are green with envy for the craft beer scene in San Diego. That's pretty far up there in the hipster/coolness quotient. And if you were a fan of indie rock, you'd know that there has been a solid music scene here for some time. It's not as big as the 90s, but there are a bunch of bands playing right now in indie rock that started here.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
My friends across the country are green with envy for the craft beer scene in San Diego. That's pretty far up there in the hipster/coolness quotient. And if you were a fan of indie rock, you'd know that there has been a solid music scene here for some time. It's not as big as the 90s, but there are a bunch of bands playing right now in indie rock that started here.
I picked up their City Beat magazine or whatever it was and it was pathetic. No local music advertised, very few local events, nothing. I can literally point you to over 20 art galleries and open mics in midtown Sac alone. I am sure SD has a scene and a vibe once you get to know it (every city does to an extent) but it's no secret it's primarily a place for tourists, retirees, military and those who have a lot of money. As you said, some great bands have come from SD; STP, Blink 182, even Eddie Vedder. I do not know what it use to be like, but overall in terms of CA metros I would not currently rate it very high on the list of cool cities to move to. They may like the beer, but a hipster is likely to come and go there pretty quick when the COL hits them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego