Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 04:52 PM

179 posts, read 201,252 times

Advertisements

Median sales prices are up ever so slightly after a dip last month. They continue to be up compared to this time last year

Percent of list price received continues a downward slide to 98.8%, indicating more price drops and offers under list. It was up to a high of 108% at one point last year.
The number of active listings has bounced back to prepandemic levels, but it's still nowhere like 2018. Finally, the number of sold listings continues in a downward trajectory.

My take: the market is not healthy. But, it wasn't very healthy prepandemic due to an inequal supply/demand curve. I distinctly recall reading more than a few UT articles saying the same back around 2016. It's unclear when or if mortgage rates will drop. Barring anything incredible, as rates drop we will see more people entering the market who have been sitting on the sidelines. This should keep prices buoyant. But, that's just my best estimation.
Attached Thumbnails
Small bounce back in home prices in October while inventory builds-20231106_125049_0000.png   Small bounce back in home prices in October while inventory builds-screenshot_20231102-075935-2.png   Small bounce back in home prices in October while inventory builds-screenshot_20231102-080006-2.png   Small bounce back in home prices in October while inventory builds-screenshot_20231102-075959-2.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2023, 05:01 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
The real question is whether we enter recession in Q1. White collar job market is weak and layoffs are still happening in tech, biotech, pharma. That will likely mean even fewer buyers. Right now it seems that everything is being propped up by consumers, but that is softening too - travel, retail, auto loans, credit card debt all going the wrong way.

Old 11-07-2023, 06:16 PM

179 posts, read 201,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
The real question is whether we enter recession in Q1. White collar job market is weak and layoffs are still happening in tech, biotech, pharma. That will likely mean even fewer buyers. Right now it seems that everything is being propped up by consumers, but that is softening too - travel, retail, auto loans, credit card debt all going the wrong way.
Definitely possible. It's been supposed to be coming for the past year+. Somehow the engine keeps chugging along, at least for now.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSanDiegoHomes View Post
Definitely possible. It's been supposed to be coming for the past year+. Somehow the engine keeps chugging along, at least for now.
If it’s consumer debt, we know how that turns out. Typical San Diego buyer is going to be hit hard by QCOM or biotech industry downturn. Did the fed overshoot? (I know, I know, we shouldn’t fight it)

We continue to live in volatile and unpredictable times.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:44 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
About 3 months ago, the house across the street from me sold for 13.3% over asking in just 8 days, but that was 3 months ago.

It was a 2/2 with 1335 sf. On the plus side, it still had a lot or original charm. Old school charm is something our governing overlords put no value on.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:52 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Fleurs View Post
It’s OVER you Fools.
GAME OVER...It’s time to send those Sorry Ass DEBT Junkies into insolvency and BANKRUPTCY. Anyone who took too much debt when money was cheap will have two choices ONLY. You pay that debt with STRONG US Dollars or you end up BANKRUPT. If you were DUMB enough to be seduced by cheap money and you took too much debt it’s time for you to learn your life lesson. Those days where we saved and proped up Idiots with artificially low interest rates is OVER.

Let the bankruptcies and defaults run wild. This enormous everything bubble MUST be deflated!!!!

LMFAO
Sorry Ass Knuckleheads
Good Luck!
So, you're saying I should be worried, now that my housing costs are fixed at a cost lower than they've ever been (with a less than 3% mortgage)? Why would I feel the need to default??

In the meantime, I can easily earn over 5% with just safe investments?
I'm looking forward to some 1980s-style rates; I'd love to lock in some long term investments at 15%

From my view, anyone who DIDN'T take advantage of the cheap money a few years ago really missed the boat...

Old 11-08-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
So, you're saying I should be worried, now that my housing costs are fixed at a cost lower than they've ever been (with a less than 3% mortgage)? Why would I feel the need to default??
Don't feed the troll. He's not even interested in having an actual discussion.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:26 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
Did the fed overshoot?

The shock wave isn't from where we landed, it's from how fast we got there. Those who missed the boat three years ago are going to be the ones suffering the most in the short term.

Old 11-08-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The shock wave isn't from where we landed, it's from how fast we got there. Those who missed the boat three years ago are going to be the ones suffering the most in the short term.
Well the reality is that many businesses in San Diego are highly dependent on investment capital - particularly biotech. That industry is in meltdown mode. My point being about the only thing that really can hurt the housing market is job loss.

Old 11-09-2023, 04:50 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSanDiegoHomes View Post
Median sales prices are up ever so slightly after a dip last month. They continue to be up compared to this time last year

Percent of list price received continues a downward slide to 98.8%, indicating more price drops and offers under list. It was up to a high of 108% at one point last year.
The number of active listings has bounced back to prepandemic levels, but it's still nowhere like 2018. Finally, the number of sold listings continues in a downward trajectory.

My take: the market is not healthy. But, it wasn't very healthy prepandemic due to an inequal supply/demand curve. I distinctly recall reading more than a few UT articles saying the same back around 2016. It's unclear when or if mortgage rates will drop. Barring anything incredible, as rates drop we will see more people entering the market who have been sitting on the sidelines. This should keep prices buoyant. But, that's just my best estimation.
I'd be curious to hear your take on this (I realize it's not SD specific but I tend to agree with this)..

https://fortune.com/2023/10/17/housi...t-time-to-buy/

‘Shark Tank’ star Barbara Corcoran insists now is ‘the very best time’ to buy a house despite interest rates hitting a 23-year high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: