Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 4,672 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking for about three weeks...I recently accepted a dream job in San Diego. I lived here (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/4634937423.htm[1] ) when they first built this complex years ago and now I'm getting the chance to move back to SD! Me, The Wife, and 70 lbs of dog will be starting the drive cross-country in about three weeks.

We will probably rent one of the short-term vacation rental properties, and then look to buy a house sometime in the late 'winter' () or early spring. We want to be close to the water, if possible (bicycle distance or less). We also want to be close to places where we can get dinner or drinks late. (DINKs). Willing to trade some amount of beach access for really high walk score and a house we can put some sweat-equity into, but not interested in living more than 15-20 minutes from the water.

The new job is in ZIP 92130/Carmel Valley area, but I will be buying a motorcycle for commuting. I've been looking at PB, OB, MB, Point Loma, and Mission Bay (and Bay Park?). Saw another post calling out North Park and South Park...Hillcrest was just starting to gentrify when I was last living in SD.

So, any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,241,864 times
Awesome you are heading back here with job.

Sounds like you havent been here since early 2000s maybe late 90s?

Hillcrest is already 'there' and it spread past North Park into the fringes of City Heights. South Park in right in the middle of gentrification and it has now pushed into Golden Hill to the south.

In your shoes, I would look to rent a cottage or small house near Morley Field in North Park. Puts you within walking distance right near the park and all the cool stuff in town. I would even look in South Park as their little downtown has great stuff. Not as big as North Park, but smaller and village-esque.

Post back when you are ready to look at houses to buy. In the meantime if you have an iPhone, try this app. Its a totally different kind of app that focuses on lifestyle rather than pricing, size metrics and has just launched in San Diego.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fypio/id889106052?mt=8

Old 08-26-2014, 11:21 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,161,332 times
Keep in mind that renting with a 70lb dog may cause problems, especially if your dog is a restricted breed. It would help if you got a letter from your current landlord stating that your dog isn't a problem.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Awesome you are heading back here with job.

Sounds like you havent been here since early 2000s maybe late 90s?
Closer to late 80s. 'Mannequins' was the hot bar in PB

Quote:
Hillcrest is already 'there' and it spread past North Park into the fringes of City Heights. South Park in right in the middle of gentrification and it has now pushed into Golden Hill to the south.
Hillcrest was just starting to change in makeup and tempo

Quote:
In your shoes, I would look to rent a cottage or small house near Morley Field in North Park. Puts you within walking distance right near the park and all the cool stuff in town. I would even look in South Park as their little downtown has great stuff. Not as big as North Park, but smaller and village-esque.
Have been looking at North Park, interested in Adams Avenue.

Quote:
Post back when you are ready to look at houses to buy. In the meantime if you have an iPhone, try this app. Its a totally different kind of app that focuses on lifestyle rather than pricing, size metrics and has just launched in San Diego.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fypio/id889106052?mt=8
[/quote]
Will start looking immediately, once we 'land'.

That app is missing a key filter: can't choose SFH v Condo v townhouse.

Thanks for all the advice!

Old 08-27-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Keep in mind that renting with a 70lb dog may cause problems, especially if your dog is a restricted breed. It would help if you got a letter from your current landlord stating that your dog isn't a problem.
Thanks. I have seen the weight restrictions. She doesn't fall into the breed restrictions. She is extremely well-behaved, so we usually don't have a problem if we can meet the landlord/property manager. Will ask current landlord for letter, though - good call and thank you!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:11 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,241,864 times
Awesome and you are welcome. If you are looking at Adams Ave (which also changing at rapid pace) in Univ Heights east towards Kensington, you should find some gems in there.

This blogger here writes a lot about what is going on in town and lives in that general area I believe. Should give you a good feel for what is happening around there at ground level.

sd urban

Old 08-28-2014, 06:05 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,879,054 times
Kentucky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: