Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymore View Post
Tom brings up some excellent points. If you have the GI Bill benefit, your monthly stipend will be quite a bit more in San Diego. Additionally, you will be paying in state rates on tuition here whereas you would be paying out of state in Texas, and I believe the GI Bill does not cover the difference between in state and out of state rates. So combine those two issues, and you could be looking at $1k more per month staying here, which would then be more than the difference in rents you mentioned.
I agree. Just one thing: if he moved to Texas now, he'd be eligible for in-state tuition rates in 12 months of establishing Texas residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 01:20 PM

41 posts, read 93,023 times
thank you all for the positive responses. i want to move because i have nothing holding me back and i get a pycheck every month so why not do it? my goal is to better my education and see what opportunities i can get over there in Texas that I can't get here in San Diego.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:26 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
I disagree with the "2 years isn't a long time to wait." Yeah 2 years isn't a long time, but having 2 years worth of school behind your compared to worrying for 2 years about how you're going to survive, what you're going to do, etc can be an eternity. And life happens. I know a lot of people who took "a couple years off" and never wound up going back to school. Some regret it years later, others did what they needed and don't.

If school is something you want to do and it's important to you, I wouldn't wait around 2 years. If you think the schools in Texas have what you want, then go for it. If you don't like Texas, you can always finish school and come back. No point in just waiting around in SD hoping that you'll start school in 2 years.
If no one was willing to be on a 2-year waiting list, we wouldn't have any nursing school graduates.

Not everything has to be NOW.

If you are moving, OP, just be sure that you're moving for you and not primarily moving to get out from underneath your mother's roof. Please explore all options in SD before you decide. My son and his family moved to TX -- because they wanted their children raised in TX -- and turned around and moved back to CA four years later. It was just TOO different, even for my very conservative, very Republican son.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:52 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo619 View Post
I am 25 years old and like i said im tired of living at moms house and the cheapest place i could find out here was a studio for $900, while in texas i found a couple of 1 bedrooms for $350. Should I move away to go to school for a few years and return when I have a career?
It sounds like this could work out for you, but definitely do a scouting trip to the areas in Texas that you might consider living. $350 sounds way too low for Texas now and any place priced that low could be in a really bad area or falling apart. A 1 bedroom in the Austin area will easily run between $700 on the low end up to $2500 per month on the high end.

And honestly, $900 for a studio in San Diego doesn't sound too bad depending on where it's located. I think as people mentioned in the Austin forum to you, San Antonio could be a good option, but I would increase that 1 bedroom apartment cost number to a more realistic $650 per month even for San Antonio just to be safe and if you find something cheaper that's acceptable, then great.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
Should you move? Yes, absolutely.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:59 PM

41 posts, read 93,023 times
Okay guys so here is an update I found a place for $600 a month in northern san antonio which is considered a nice area of the city. I will be going to Texas this weekend to check the apartments out. I think it will be a good move for me i was thinking about moving in december but i might move in the 1st week of november after i graduate from school.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:48 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo619 View Post
Hello city data community, I am here wanting some feedback and maybe you guys can help me make a decision. I am a veteran living in san diego currently staying at my moms house. I get almost close to $2,000 a month from the VA. I wanted to know if moving to another state like texas can be good for me at this time in my life since I want to move back out on my own. There is one school that offers the program that I would like to get into but there is a 2 year waiting list. I looked at other schools in texas and they have no waiting list. I am 25 years old and like i said im tired of living at moms house and the cheapest place i could find out here was a studio for $900, while in texas i found a couple of 1 bedrooms for $350. Should I move away to go to school for a few years and return when I have a career? I am afraid that If I continue to stay in san diego and not continue my education I will always live at moms house... again let me remind you all that if I move away I have income every month so i wouldnt have to worry about rent over there since its a low cost of living.
Rent a room instead of a house, work part time while going to school, and definitely don't wait two years to get into a school. There are thousands of colleges around the country so I'm sure you can find one which doesn't have a waiting list. Also consider going to junior college for two years then transferring to a four year school to finish up your last two years as this will save a bundle.

Old 08-27-2014, 05:38 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Rent a room instead of a house, work part time while going to school, and definitely don't wait two years to get into a school. There are thousands of colleges around the country so I'm sure you can find one which doesn't have a waiting list. Also consider going to junior college for two years then transferring to a four year school to finish up your last two years as this will save a bundle.
I agree. If you don't have to wait to go to school, you don't. There is no point in sticking around San diego for two years and just hope you'll go back to school in a couple of years. Yeah the weather is great, but if you're looking to move forward in your life, why wait around to start it? As I said earlier, life happens and many people have said "I'll go back to school" and they never do. Finish school as soon as you can when you can, because anything can happen two years from now where suddenly that 2 years turns into 20 years.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times
i would leave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: