U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 AM
Urz Urz started this thread

6 posts, read 6,486 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting San Diego in early October. I've been before (liked it!) and went to the tourist attractions, so this time I'd like to feel as though I'm "living" there rather than being a visitor. Any suggestions on which suburbs would be good options for a late-30s female?

I'll be renting an apartment so a residential area would fine (doesn't need to have hotels). If it helps, I like being social and going for a few drinks, but I'm not into clubbing or lots of partying. I also like the outdoors (hiking, horse-riding, running) but will have a car so can drive if I'm not staying nearby.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 09:40 AM

813 posts, read 1,197,667 times
How long will you be staying, and what is your budget?

Airbnb is a good place to start.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM

I'll be staying for a week this time. I've looked at airbnb and there are lots of good options, but I'm hoping this forum can give me some suggestions on which suburbs might be good. I can then narrow down the options on airbnb from there. As for budget, about the middle of the range would be good: I wouldn't want to stay somewhere too posh, but equally can afford to stay somewhere I can be safe at night.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 AM

19,853 posts, read 15,477,179 times
North Park, Mission Valley or College Area.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:42 AM

813 posts, read 1,197,667 times
I think North Park could be good. Plus you would be close to Balboa Park there, and there are lots of places to walk as well as the museums.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:27 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,564,001 times
Northpark, Hillcrest, maybe one of the beach locations if it is in your budget.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:39 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions - I really appreciate you replying so quickly. Any chance of a few words about the places you are suggested? It would really help me decide between them

Old 08-31-2014, 01:54 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,033,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
North Park, Mission Valley or College Area.
I disagree with these (late 30's female here...)

if you want urban and suburban try north park half a week then somewhere like enciitas or carlsbad, or solana beach the rest of the week.

stay out of mission valley and college area (whatever that is) I'd call that more urban(almost suburban) hell...if you have a decent income you'd probably never live there if you prefer a more subruan location.

If I were you, anywhere from LaJolla to Carlsbad -- that's the target area.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowHope View Post
I think North Park could be good. Plus you would be close to Balboa Park there, and there are lots of places to walk as well as the museums.
this is not suburban though, she's asking about suburbs people live in.

North Park is what i'd consider still more of an urban pioneer thing than a suburb. It was more like a suburb in the 1950's and 1960's than it is now.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urz View Post
Thanks all for your suggestions - I really appreciate you replying so quickly. Any chance of a few words about the places you are suggested? It would really help me decide between them
north park and hill crest are city neighborhoods and not at all close to the beach if that is what you are interested in.

Most people in your age group who live in "suburbs" are going to gravitate to North County and to places like Encinitas and Carlsbad (I live in Carlsbad -- nothing against North Park, I'm moving there next month but its an acquired taste and more hipstery/urban neighborhood -- certainly not a suburb where many people live).

If you must, try both.

If you have a week and want to know what its like to live in a suburb here that fits what you are talking about (outdoors, your age group, suburban and frankly more "ideal") then go for the north county beach towns Del Mark and Lajolla are closer to the city -- Solana Beach to Carlsbad being more your age group (I Think) if you can find something in those towns that would be nicest (west of I-5) or if not just a little bit inland (a mile or two) Will still put you close to everything (assuming you will have a rental car or something of that nature) if only a bike and walking then get into the downtown areas of those towns

if you want a more "urban" experience then consider hillcrest or north park.

I don't know many single females my age that live in Mission Valley...unless they have to.

If you are doing this to see what it would actually be like to live here, choose something that fits what you would actually want...even if its a bit on the expensive side as that is what you'd be dealing with too.

When I travel I usually stay in more than one place, that is what I'd do to experience different areas and get a sense of what I'm talking about. It's hard to know without checking it out for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego